Supplying own oil for a service

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
My car is in for it's 4th service on Monday and I was considering supplying my own oil, has anyone done this with a Ford dealer and what oil is recommended so I can see if can source what I need before Monday?

Any advice gratefully received!
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The dealers are fickle about this, I use to take mine in but the Service Mgr. did not appreciate my going back to the service bay. So, I bought a lowprofile jack and Steeda jacking rails and do it my self in 30-40 minutes on jack stands.Cheers!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Having trouble remembering when & where I did this! I think it was Peter Stirland in Hungerford - my go to dealership, but not 100% sure, it may even have been modurstang. Anyway, using my own oil was not a problem and saved myself quite a bit too. Can't find which oil I ordered, but I'm sure someone on here will jump in. I would just call ahead and ask the question...

OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
This is what I was hoping as I'm sure the Ford dealer mark up on oil is significant and they're already charging a fortune for what is very basic work. As it's the 4 year service it's also due spark plugs which is probably unnecessary as the car hasn't yet done 14k miles!

Also, how much oil does it need?

OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Just checked the owners manual (should have done this before posting!), it states oil capacity is 5.4 litres including the oil filter and recommends 5W-30 either Castrol or Ford oil.

Oil specification is WSS-M2C913-D which means nothing to me but Castrol Magnetic Stop Start oil appears to meet this specification.

Anyone have any views as to whether this is a good idea?

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As long as the oil meets the specifications in the handbook, the oil filter is the same FoMoCo FL-500s, the service is done at the specified intervals and by a VAT registered garage you'll maintain your warranty. Since my warranty has expired I've swapped over to the bigger Ford Racing FL820 oil filters.

I buy my oil and filters separately and pay a local garage an hour labour to change it. I found Ford were so much hard work, time consuming and costly. I never felt like a valued customer, I was merely an obstacle they needed to get out the door. They also did a half arsed job cleaning my car when the oil cooler died but were so critical on my MOT.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thank you - that would have been embarrassing turning up with only half the amount of oil required!

Anyone know what Ford charge for the oil?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Thank you - that would have been embarrassing turning up with only half the amount of oil required!

Anyone know what Ford charge for the oil?
Depends on the dealer - you would need to ask. They often have a 'service price' which includes everything related to the service (parts and labour)

You are going to pay around ÂŁ100 for the oil alone because of the quantity

I would try ringing a few dealers to find out before going to the effort of buying and supplying it. Where are you in the UK - I'm sure you would get a few recommendations of places you could go.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Service is booked for Monday so I maybe too late. If the difference is circa £30 it’s probably not worthwhile but always worth a try!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I source Ford specification Motul from the Witham group in Soham & supply the oil when it's changed.

I go to Jacksons Ford, Henley in Arden.
They're a nice friendly dealership who seem not to have a problem with me supplying the correct oil.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The 15-17's take 8qt. 18-20 10 qt. But, you can add a 1/2 qt. to either when using the FL820 Ford Racing filter as it has more capacity. It's worth it for my 16 GT, maybe not the 18-20 ponies, Cheers! I source this filter thru OPmustangs.com Optimum Performance Mustangs, they have BG rear gear oil as well. Your service Mgr. can order the FL820 Ford Racing filter and hold it for you for use or sale.

Last edited:

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Just checked the owners manual (should have done this before posting!), it states oil capacity is 5.4 litres including the oil filter and recommends 5W-30 either Castrol or Ford oil.

Oil specification is WSS-M2C913-D which means nothing to me but Castrol Magnetic Stop Start oil appears to meet this specification.

Anyone have any views as to whether this is a good idea?
oil capacity for the 5.0 is 7.6 litres
Plugs are changed at 100k miles

here’s my oil change video

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
oil capacity for the 5.0 is 7.6 litres
Plugs are changed at 100k miles

here’s my oil change video

Not for the post MY18 cars it isn't. They need more oil than 7.6 litres if you want the engine to last more than a mile or two !
Sponsored