Supplying own oil for a service

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Not for the post MY18 cars it isn't. They need more oil than 7.6 litres if you want the engine to last more than a mile or two !
Looking at his profile, the OP’s car is a 2106, so it takes 7.6 litres, and not the 5.4 litres that he spoke of in his post asking for advice
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
where the hell do you get these from in the uk, i've been shipping them from the states because they're impossible to get over here :(
The States, usually order up several at a time. Saw them on Amazon.co.uk once, they were ridiculously priced.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought my own oil. It saved me about £40 on the dealer price. I put this in it: Motul Specific 948 B 5W-20. Got it from Opie Oils. Had no issues.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Looking at his profile, the OP’s car is a 2106, so it takes 7.6 litres, and not the 5.4 litres that he spoke of in his post asking for advice
Indeed - if you look at all the posts you will see several people have posted the volumes for all varieties.

OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
Thanks for all the advice. I had indeed read the wrong bit of the manual so had quoted the 2.3 spec and capacity!

Shame as I also bought the oil for the 2.3 as well but thankfully have realised ... although I suspect chances of me finding the 5.0 spec oil in time for the service tomorrow are pretty slim!

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the 5.0 oil is the same oil as the focus st ecoboost uses same specs and ford codes etc, so i would imagine it would be the same oil in the 2.3 ecoboost mustang too. just different quantities required.

OP
OP
pdavison

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
Just in case people search and find this topic I thought I would provide an update.

The oil for the 2.3 is slightly different in terms of spec and is 5w30 whereas the 5.0 requires 5w20 and the detail of the Ford spec is also slightly different.

I didn't manage to get the oil prior to my service and hence the cost for the oil was just over £100 for the 7.6l required. From my limited research I could have sourced the oil myself for approximately £40 for 5l so to buy two and have left over would have been circa £80.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
interesting how you've found it slightly different spec as the for ws-whatever number is identical across both the ecoboost and the 5.0 well put it this way my focus st uses the identical oil to the mustang.
Sponsored