Sponsored

Parking Brake on or off everytime you park? And other things we do out of habit.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So everytime I park the car regardless of terrain Is set the parking brake. I do this not for the car rolling away so much but to stop the car from rolling forward one off and resting on the gears/pin/transmission (whatever it is you feel it set up against when its turned off). I just always figured this is easier on the transmission? But does it wear the break out? On my ford focus i have set the break so many times it feels like its not even really catching any more.

I also make sure my air conditioner is off before I shut the car off . Is this really easier on the engine at startup?

I also let the engine run for say 30 to 45 seconds before turning off instead of shutting it off immediately once parked. Old habit from driving turbo cars. (done to let some heat dissipate after boost to help prevent oil coking on bearings). Is this something that should also be done on the Mustang turbo engines?

What habits do you have and why? and are they really viable on today's cars?
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Yeah, I do all of those. While I'm parked and waiting to shut off the engine, I'm scrolling through the gauges, checking oil temp, CHT, volts, etc. Last thing I check is tire pressure, and I leave it there so it's the first thing I check next time I start. Also switch the headlights to low beam.

Deleted member 35786

So everytime I park the car regardless of terrain Is set the parking brake. I do this not for the car rolling away so much but to stop the car from rolling forward one off and resting on the gears/pin/transmission (whatever it is you feel it set up against when its turned off). I just always figured this is easier on the transmission? But does it wear the break out?
Which is cheaper to repair in the long run, transmission or parking brake? *sarcasim

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I've been putting on the parking brake every time i get out of the car since i started driving. Just an old habit.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
With a manual? Parking brake every time.

Sponsored

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
The parking brake is meant for parking. Even a seemingly flat surface can have a slope, it's best to use the brake to keep the strain off of the transmission. If it starts getting loose, you can adjust it from underneath the car. The cable stretches over time.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I must be a slacker. I just shut it off. If I'm on any slope at all, I'll use the E-brake. If it's flat, 1st gear only. When I start it up, flip to Sport, T/C and A/T off, drive.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I've never used a parking brake. :blush:

Lights, brights, and wipers are all automatic. I will wait a moment on start up so oil can get moving.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
We have a parking brake? Kidding, although I never use it. Do not bother with A/C or anything else. Just shutoff the engine and get out. On startup I wait for a minute, two clicks to MyMode, shift to Sport+ and go.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
With a manual? Parking brake every time.
ha even on automatics i do it. my driveway is sloped so ive just gotten used to doing it no matter where i park.

it also freaks me out when there isn't a lever parking brake in the car and it's either a button or another pedal on the floor. I've pressed the e-brake pedal on my mother's camry too many times thinking it's a manual car.

Sponsored

50BMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020GT A10 PP1, SPF AC Cobra, Fusion Sport, Ram 4X
If you use the parking brake, use it. As the car ages, if you have never used it, refrain from doing so as the cables/linkage/caliper is probably somewhat rusted from not being used and it may not disengage property because of that (this all depends on the type of E-Brake it is of course...).
For a manual tranny, I'd probably use it all the time.
For an auto, I'd probably never touch it.
In my current fun car, the parking brake sucks so bad, I never use it. 3rd gear is my normal parking brake and if I have to park on a very steep hill, I keep an RV chock-block in trunk, just in case.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I should of asked how do we start up our cars out of habit as well LOL. I always get a kick out of the people who are so impatient they have the car moving before they are even fully in the car and have both feet in. My grandfather was like that in his truck. He literally had the truck already in gear and moving before he even had the door closed. It was like lightning he turned the key and shifted into drive all in one motion.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I should of asked how do we start up our cars out of habit as well LOL.
In neutral with the parking brake on. Always freaks me out when I see people just shove the clutch in and hit the starter without thinking about what may be in front of or behind the car if they slip.

Oooo. Now we can start an discussion about whether having the clutch "out" means that the pedal is on the floor or released.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
This lady at the gym literally just takes off once she starts her car. Like damn, i wonder if she lets her car heat up in the mornings.