Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
You mean lack of?
Not in this case, the tires and suspension have to work together and I feel the PP suspension and weight of the car overpowers the OEM tires. I replaced the tires and wheel package 18 x 10 w/ 275/40/18 x 4 with Nitto NT05’s and the car had more tire than suspension......added coilovers next and the car is a corner holding demon.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
When you say over-inflation, what kind of pressures are you running?
I believe rear tire pressure was around 40 or more when I got home and checked it. I'm keeping it at recommended pressure and no single psi above ever since that.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I believe rear tire pressure was around 40 or more when I got home and checked it. I'm keeping it at recommended pressure and no single psi above ever since that.
Don't ignore tire pressure. I learned that lesson the hard way as well lol.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I went to some sort of car control school today. Was highly motivated by topic starter event.

I had stock tire pressure in all tires and relatively fresh rear tires. Fronts are still only half way worn.

I spent a lot of time learning how to break traction in the rear actually.

The only way to do this was first to get into a turn with enough lateral Gs but also with front tires having enought tracton. Upon corner exit when you are about to start straightening the steering wheel, - if at this moment you'd start to seriously mess up with gas pedal - there was some good chance to loose traction in the rear and have nice "tail out" that I was learning to control without getting into a fishtail.

Adding gas a little too early would result in understeer. Going into a turn a little too fast, - the car will understeer regardless of what you do with accelerometer.

There even was a place where the course would go slightly down in the turn, there was also wet area in there to add to lack of traction, which was somehow similar to the spot where I lost traction in the beginning of the rhread - and all that was happening there - very difficult to get any oversteer, the car would rather understeer.

All the above I was doing with all nannies off. With traction control on it wouldn't let much whelspin or traction loss.

Long story short - the car is fairly stable and well balanced given more or less even tire wear. There was another mustang that actually experienced similar symptoms.

So, I think I can pretty confidently conclude that one should watch rear tire condition and pressure. In my experience they wear 2x faster than fronts. If rears are noticeably elder than fronts or close to their end of life - be very careful as car's balance might be very different from what it initially was.

I am seriously thinking going squared so that I can rorate tires as frequently as needed.
Sponsored

Last edited: