Sponsored

Cloth seats and rain

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
I opened my door in a windy rain and my cloth seat got soaked for a few seconds. I thought nothing of it and would imagine it would just dry overnight.

Few days later, it seemed to have left spotting and staining. What can I do to do fix this?

Any good spray on products then blot with towel to take care of it?

http://prntscr.com/p3y88n

THANKS
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I opened my door in a windy rain and my cloth seat got soaked for a few seconds. I thought nothing of it and would imagine it would just dry overnight.

Few days later, it seemed to have left spotting and staining. What can I do to do fix this?

Any good spray on products then blot with towel to take care of it?

http://prntscr.com/p3y88n

THANKS

Looked at pic - that’s strange that the rain spots would still be visible like seen in your pic.

Try this, no guarantee it will work, but give it a shot before you try any chemicals.

Get a good and clean microfiber towel. Soak it in warm water, then wring it completely out so it’s damp, not soaking wet. Wipe down the bottom seat cushion in a side to side manner (so if standing at driver door looking at seat, wipe from driver side to passenger side, so “left to right”). Do it so that when you’re wiping, the color of the entire cushion becomes uniform. Repeat if needed and do the same to any other affected upholstery panels.

Since you’re only using a damp microfiber, the upholstery should not be “wet”, it should just have a very slight dampness when touching it. Let it dry and then see how it looks afterwards.

Be careful if you do go the chemical route, some upholstery cleaners can stain or alter the color of the upholstery. So read the fine print on the product AND test on a small inconspicuous area so that IF the product stains that small test section, it can’t be seen....

Good luck and update with your results.

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The water drops have displaced surface dirt in the fabric. Basically the rain drops washed the fabric where they hit. The solution is to clean the whole seat now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jordystang69

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
I took a waffle weave mf towel and soaked it in distilled water then wrung it out. I wiped the seat and the result of just that made it to appear back to normal.

I now have that scotch cleaner and protectant, which ill try out at another time on a little spot first mainly for the protection part of it.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The water drops have displaced surface dirt in the fabric. Basically the rain drops washed the fabric where they hit. The solution is to clean the whole seat now.
Definitely.
Looks like the seats were dusty. One of those spray on fabric cleaners should probably do the trick. Probably could even get away with a damp cloth and a good scrub.
Sponsored