Bullitt Tire Rotation

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I rotated my '08 Bullitt's wheels in the 'traditional' fashion (front-to-rear, rears crossover). Obviously, that can't be done with two different wheel/tire sizes; what are you all doing for rotations, if anything? I expect the rears to wear out before the fronts, so replacing just the rears shouldn't be as financially painful as buying a full set.

I checked today, and at about 6,500 miles wear is pretty even; 7-8/32nds depth left in all grooves. I run 32psi front and 31psi rear and don't hoon much if at all (okay, occasionally).
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
I rotated my '08 Bullitt's wheels in the 'traditional' fashion (front-to-rear, rears crossover). Obviously, that can't be done with two different wheel/tire sizes; what are you all doing for rotations, if anything? I expect the rears to wear out before the fronts, so replacing just the rears shouldn't be as financially painful as buying a full set.

I checked today, and at about 6,500 miles wear is pretty even; 7-8/32nds depth left in all grooves. I run 32psi front and 31psi rear and don't hoon much if at all (okay, occasionally).
I think you’ve answered your own question

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I think you’ve answered your own question
Maybe, but I was just wondering if there's any point rotating side-to-side. Or, maybe the Magneride keeps the rubber planted well enough that it's not necessary.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Is there any point in switching left to right?

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
There was a time it was considered a bad idea, something about 'unwinding' the radial plies. But, haven't heard that in a while.

I don't remember seeing tire rotation in the owner's manual, but I haven't had it out in a while. Anybody have a shop manual? I'll call my tire shop tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
There was a time it was considered a bad idea, something about 'unwinding' the radial plies. But, haven't heard that in a while.

I don't remember seeing tire rotation in the owner's manual, but I haven't had it out in a while. Anybody have a shop manual? I'll call my tire shop tomorrow and see what they recommend.
Pg 274 in the mustangs owner manual state tires with different size tires on front and rear axle are to be rotated side to side. For as long as I can remember that was a “no-no” do to what you said. Radial belts.. yet every owners manual I ever seen recommended criss cross pattern ( usually front straight to the rear, rears cross cross to the fronts but not always) unless it was staggered. Maybe that was something with first generation radials? I know a lot of people that cross cross for the life of their tires with zero issues. I haven’t been able to rotate tires for 7 years or so due to staggered and directional though I have actually dismounted tires to swap sides. Even my Focus ST couldn’t, same size tires front and rear but different offsets for the wheels.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
When I go in got my next service (Spring). I will get them to rotate side to side per the Ford service dept. recommendation.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Pg 274 in the mustangs owner manual state tires with different size tires on front and rear axle are to be rotated side to side. For as long as I can remember that was a “no-no” do to what you said. Radial belts.. yet every owners manual I ever seen recommended criss cross pattern ( usually front straight to the rear, rears cross cross to the fronts but not always) unless it was staggered. Maybe that was something with first generation radials? I know a lot of people that cross cross for the life of their tires with zero issues. I haven’t been able to rotate tires for 7 years or so due to staggered and directional though I have actually dismounted tires to swap sides. Even my Focus ST couldn’t, same size tires front and rear but different offsets for the wheels.
It may be slight, but over a few thousand miles road camber might wear the 'downhill' tires a little more than the 'uphill.'

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
You won’t be able to swop side to side due to the tyres being rotational, I’m resigned to just buying new tyres as required

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Every performance tire I've ever had was uni-directional so you can't swap side to side. It turns them around. Haven't checked these, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
That are probably unidirectional tires so you can’t rotate front or rear tires
Every performance tire I've ever had was uni-directional so you can't swap side to side. It turns them around. Haven't checked these, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.
Hi - The Michelins on my Bullitt are not uni-directional unlike my last Corvette. Soooo, I guess it’s our choice. I sort of like the idea of rotating them... Bruce

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I have Pilot Sport 4S's on my vehicle. I tried to Google-fu it but failed. Not sure if they are directional or not.

I do have a square setup I run Dec-Mar so I rotate them when they get reinstalled each year.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
I have Pilot Sport 4S's on my vehicle. I tried to Google-fu it but failed. Not sure if they are directional or not.

I do have a square setup I run Dec-Mar so I rotate them when they get reinstalled each year.
If you look at the tire it will have arrows on the sidewall if it is unidirectional... Bruce

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Ya...might as well curb up all 4 wheels!!! Personally I think it’s a waste of time....just buy new tires when needed!! ..l.new wheels and tires for me over the winter.... McQueen 20’s !!
Sponsored