Sponsored

Are you in? Or are you out?

Ok, the dust has settled. Who's in or out?

• Total voters

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It will not (will) be that close. I read somewhere that C8 wound up coming in around 170 lbs heavier (actually 366 lbs) than C7. C7 Z06 curb weight is 3,524. Add 200 lbs (366lbs) to that and you get 3,724 (3,990). Let's just call it 3,750 (4,000). GT500 will be at least 350 lbs heavier, possibly more (about the same, maybe 100 lbs more). The "Zora" version will likely weigh more, but that car will be beyond the GT500 competitive set as well as beyond what I'm gonna be spending on any car. I'll have to find the 170 lb reference. (found the right reference. 170 lbs was from something else I was working on)

***EDIT*** I foud the reference and I was way off. 366 lbs heavier than C7. Math adjusted above, also in red. The reference is TheDetroitBureau.com.... The new C8 actually grows longer, wider and 366 pounds heavier than the C7, or seventh-generation Corvette.
Thanks for the informed post. I wouldn't take anything away from it being a mid-engined sports car and all the benefits from that, but it's not really light weight compared to other mid-engine cars and not really that light compared to the GT500.
Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
You have to keep I'm mind the Z06 will have a different engine than the outgoing. A smaller displacement DOHC and turbos should be lighter than the 6.2 with supercharger but if all was equal, your still looking at around 3900 lbs, which isnt light by Corvette standard but weight where it should be, will undoubtedly outperform a GT500 in every performance metric. Do people still think the GT500 is going to be sub 4000 lbs? There is a reason your not getting the weight numbers. Let's hope the CFTP isnt over 4100. It may be.
Is even half the stuff you mentioned confirmed? Or is this all just speculation? In general, DOHC motors are typically heavier than pushrod motors because of the heads. The smaller displacement won't matter that much in weight between the two. The C8 engine bay looks tight already so I'm curious to see how they would do turbos if they went that route from the factory. The carbon fiber track pack GT500 will probably be over 4000lbs but I wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than it "physically" should. Ford always seems to find a way to do that...give them some credit.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Is even half the stuff you mentioned confirmed? Or is this all just speculation? In general, DOHC motors are typically heavier than pushrod motors because of the heads. The smaller displacement won't matter that much in weight between the two. The C8 engine bay looks tight already so I'm curious to see how they would do turbos if they went that route from the factory. The carbon fiber track pack GT500 will probably be over 4000lbs but I wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than it "physically" should. Ford always seems to find a way to do that...give them some credit.
So, you want confirmation from GM? Maybe in 6 months you'll get that. They will ride their unveiling of base and Z51 package for a while.
Over a year ago, on the Corvette forum, they had a leaked build list posted for the C8. It told how many DCTs and each engine that would be made for the C8, for several years out. If your interested, look it up. I'm not trying to convince You of what's coming. I'm merely getting ready for what I think is coming, or what has been leaked.
Edit: GM authority article... Caution: this is not confirmed by GM.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiv7t_7iNDjAhWug-AKHdnaDiIQzPwBegQIARAC&url=http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/twin-turbo-v8-lt7-engine-for-c8-corvette-z06-leaks/&psig=AOvVaw1pxBF2IxC1MAhcDtEXbsnk&ust=1564144097527112

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Trolls are people who do stir the pot with slanted views. Sometimes they take views they really don't hold as to play devil's advocate. Yes, there are some true trolls with the motive to be contrarian.
But, some people have a legit point on the price value of the Corvette vs. 500. The Corvette, so far, is the better value. There will be no ADMs 6 months down the road on the Corvette. They will be discounted at some point. The 500 will most likely always have them. Shoot, the fact the Corvette raises up for speed bumps is amazing.

Here is something none of you have considered. We know complaining isn't going to make ADMs go away. But, if enough people say they are changing brands due to ADMs and in turn devaluing it, why not?
Maybe some people are criticizing it while not being able to afford it. That's their right. It would be like you telling GT owners they can't be on 500 page because they don't own a 350 yet.
There is only one thing that will make ADM's go away, is that the cars sit on the lot and the next MY is on the lot at the same time. All brand dealerships have ADM's on special vehicles. There are ADM's on the Tacoma PRO.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I wonder how much the high performance version of the C8 will weigh? Probably within 100-200 pounds of the GT500. Assuming C&D is right and the base is about 3600, by the time you add big brakes, big (non carbon) wheels and tires, possible wide body, bigger engine with power adders, more cooling, etc. I think it might weigh more than the GT500 CFTP version.
Specs spouted by GM says Dry it is 3366, maybe add 200lbs for fluids and then close to 3600.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
hahahaha!! You'll be 100% wrong. I doubt the zr1 hybrid with 1000HP is heavier than the CFTP GT500. Lets come back and revisit your post when that time comes...hell we're still awaiting GT500 weight figures and banks have been opened a month.
I am unsure of why Ford won't tell the weight.....

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
The new C8 Corvette will be on display at a Chevy dealership in my area in SoCal and they are already asking for an ADM to order one!

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The new C8 Corvette will be on display at a Chevy dealership in my area in SoCal and they are already asking for an ADM to order one!
I am sure they are. I saw this one video on Youtube of a blue one on the street.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
If I could get the base model for msrp or less I would do it.

BJD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M-Sport 50i, Audi S4 Cabriolet 4.2
Hi Folks.... After a little reflection over the past week I decided just today to cancel my GT500 order and get a C8 instead. Both amazing machines by any measure. To the point....my allocation is now open.... it was for $5k ADM which I thought was reasonable. I believe it's still available. Dealer is in Grand Rapids, MI - Jack Keller Ford. Good luck and they are both gonna be amazing machines!

themik99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Hi Folks.... After a little reflection over the past week I decided just today to cancel my GT500 order and get a C8 instead. Both amazing machines by any measure. To the point....my allocation is now open.... it was for $5k ADM which I thought was reasonable. I believe it's still available. Dealer is in Grand Rapids, MI - Jack Keller Ford. Good luck and they are both gonna be amazing machines!
Was this an order for a base car?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So you joined this Mustang forum just to tell us you canceled you GT500 order. Troll