Sponsored

GT500 vs It's competitors: Is it really overprice ?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well humour me then. I’m not old (but not a kid) and the 350 was my first Shelby. I’ve owned two now including a 350R.

Tell me, what’re the underlying reasons? I didn’t buy it for the legacy reasons (although I understand, and appreciate all of it), I bought it because it was unchartered engineering for an American company. The rpms, manual, and RWD did it for me.

Tell me how this current 500 would have anything to do with the underlying reasons of ownership of previous 500s. It is NOT like the previous cars, all the way to 1967.

There is only one interpretation of the GT500 in the past that the new one comes close to, that’s the VERY rare ‘67 427 GT500. It was the “real” performance version of the car. They normally came with the 428ci, low hp engine. Otherwise this new 500 is a track car, unlike all previous iterations of it. Therefore, it does not comply with traditional underlying reasons to own a 500. It’s not a street brawler.

Check these out:
2512657F-8598-4C1C-9467-F667B159005E.jpeg
981AFDD8-2CB6-4270-801D-F973852B6895.jpeg
A0AD42B3-D5C7-438C-ADC0-E1C4B16588C5.jpeg

Cool car and nice signage but can tell you that Shelby American certainly did not build 47 GT500's with 427 C.I. engines for the 1967 MY.

Aside from the '67 GT500 Super Snake that SA built for the Goodyear Thunderbolt tire test in early March of 1967 at the Goodyear proving grounds in Mc Allen, Texas there were only two 1967 GT500's built with a 427 C.I. engine one of which was a prototype hardtop that was built for SA chief engineer namely Fred Goodell with that car being destroyed by Ford in order to avoid product liability issues.

The other prototype was a 1967 GT500 convertible that eventually became the prototype for the 1968 Shelby convertible and still exists.

I have seen this car in person and have some pictures stuck away somewhere and a cool car for sure and I believe the last time I looked this car was owned and domiciled in Florida.

Where this individual got his information of 47 GT500's being assembled with 427 C.I. engines at the Shelby American LAX airport location is beyond me?

:)
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Cool car and nice signage but can tell you that Shelby American certainly did not build 47 GT500's with 427 C.I. engines for the 1967 MY.

Aside from the '67 GT500 Super Snake that SA built for the Goodyear Thunderbolt tire test in early March of 1967 at the Goodyear proving grounds in Mc Allen, Texas there were only two 1967 GT500's built with a 427 C.I. engine one of which was a prototype hardtop that was built for SA chief engineer namely Fred Goodell with that car being destroyed by Ford in order to avoid product liability issues.

The other prototype was a 1967 GT500 convertible that eventually became the prototype for the 1968 Shelby convertible and still exists.

I have seen this car in person and have some pictures stuck away somewhere and a cool car for sure and I believe the last time I looked this car was owned and domiciled in Florida.

Where this individual got his information of 47 GT500's being assembled with 427 C.I. engines at the Shelby American LAX airport location is beyond me?

:)
I snapped these pics last March when I went for a tour of the Shelby American museum and shop. Amazing day, they took us in the back a little bit as we hit the later tour, the techs were home by then.

The historian did confirm that number, oddly.

Fiberglass hood and trunk I believe.

Also @PP0001 , for you. The only widebody 350R in existence (I believe).

Pics don’t do it justice.
892B8311-DFFF-4318-938B-D6707EAF68FC.jpeg
B160C5DD-20D2-4864-A4E5-31A9917CC5C1.jpeg
48580CA7-83B4-4463-BB7C-9628461F5044.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You’re correct, they did. It won’t get anywhere near that in the street.

Hopefully the magazines can do 3.3-3.5, but they get like 30 Runs if needed.

You’ll never see that on the street.

Regardless, I’m very anxious to see what it can do.
I'm keeping my mind open, but my first thought is to agree with you. Unless the surface is prepped and temperatures are perfect, it will be surprising if the GT500 can hook and achieve such a low 0-60 time. It has the power, but most of the weight is in the front. I would think that a regular Mustang GT with an automatic and good tires just might launch better than a GT500 unless there are some tricks that we don't know about.

Road course performance is an entirely different story. I can believe that the GT500 will dominate on larger tracks.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I will never understand why people compare things so differently.
0-60 hasnt meant anything since like 1997, or likely much much earlier.

If u want to compare roadcourse times, make sure its on a roadrace tire, if u want to compare 1/mile,a drag tire.

Street talk and 0-60? Irrelevant. 100%

Show me who does 0-60 only, on public roads, and ill show u a moron.

You're a moron if you drive to a track on track tires and complain about their lifespan, and a moron to race anywhere on a street tire.. shit just doesn't add up.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I will never understand why people compare things so differently.
0-60 hasnt meant anything since like 1997, or likely much much earlier.

If u want to compare roadcourse times, make sure its on a roadrace tire, if u want to compare 1/mile,a drag tire.

Street talk and 0-60? Irrelevant. 100%

Show me who does 0-60 only, on public roads, and ill show u a moron.

You're a moron if you drive to a track on track tires and complain about their lifespan, and a moron to race anywhere on a street tire.. shit just doesn't add up.
L.....ol?

0-60 is probably the MOST important stat for a street brawler. Seriously man, doing 60-160 is retarded on the street. Don’t be that guy.

0-60 doesn’t mean anything to me, but the reality of what it actually does on an unprepared surface (ie: street) is what matters to people.

An RS3 will be walking it light to light all day.

Roll down your window and say “yeah follow me to an airstrip, I’ll show you”.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Take a quick watch of the launch on an unprepared surface at goodwood yesterday or the day before.

Just so we don’t go off tangent, those you tubers are looking for clicks is all. Ruffling feathers is a great way to get them. Also, when/if they drive one they’ll say how good it is and how much of a bargain to create more clicks. It’s all entertainment.

I do maintain, this new version is not a street brawler like all previous ones. It’s a dedicated car that’s also good at going straight fast. It will not impress people on the street from stop lights, that I guarantee. If you want that, get a Golf R with a tune and bolt on’s for consistency and mid-low three second 0-60 all day, everyday.
That Launch at Goodwood wasn't an attempt at a fast 0-60. you do not launch a 650whp car at 3krpm on street tires on an unprepped surface if your trying to do anything other than produce tire smoke.

A guy local to me has a tuned Golf R with intake and DP. I've run him on the street on street tires in my 700whp car. Even pedaling my car into third gear and then laying into it I will come by him like hes standing still in the 1/8mile. The 500 will hook up much better than my S197 I guarantee you.

Want to rock the world 0-60 buy a Model 3 Perf.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
That Launch at Goodwood wasn't an attempt at a fast 0-60. you do not launch a 650whp car at 3krpm on street tires on an unprepped surface if your trying to do anything other than produce tire smoke.

A guy local to me has a tuned Golf R with intake and DP. I've run him on the street on street tires in my 700whp car. Even pedaling my car into third gear and then laying into it I will come by him like hes standing still in the 1/8mile. The 500 will hook up much better than my S197 I guarantee you.

Want to rock the world 0-60 buy a Model 3 Perf.
Kinda of what I was thinking too. Maybe he was just showing off a little for the crowd or perhaps trying to put some heat(grip) on the rears since it's a front heavy car....My guess is between the DCT's quick shift capability/torque mitigation and probable launch control with 315's on the rear and high 3's will be attained by everyday drivers and mid 3's needing a little practice or perhaps a driver mod...The transmission in this case will be the secret sauce.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
L.....ol?

0-60 is probably the MOST important stat for a street brawler. Seriously man, doing 60-160 is retarded on the street. Don’t be that guy.

0-60 doesn’t mean anything to me, but the reality of what it actually does on an unprepared surface (ie: street) is what matters to people.

An RS3 will be walking it light to light all day.

Roll down your window and say “yeah follow me to an airstrip, I’ll show you”.
Street brawler? Then put it on a tire that hooks..
No scenario a 0-60 only blast matters.
0-60 while going for an 1/8 race? Oh good, you want a sticky tire on there.

Light to light? Oh good, youre a moron

Like i said irrelevant

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Sigh. Do some reading, in the 60s street racing was so prevalent they named a model of the GT500 after its prowess.

Anyway I digress, the GT500 is not a midship car (corvette), not a midengine car (mclaren) or a rear engine (Porsche). All of those manufactures have 700hp rear drive cars, and the GT500 will be the slowest of them all, in acceleration. All good I don’t really care, I’m just trying to put things into context and reality.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Sigh. Do some reading, in the 60s street racing was so prevalent they named a model of the GT500 after its prowess.

Anyway I digress, the GT500 is not a midship car (corvette), not a midengine car (mclaren) or a rear engine (Porsche). All of those manufactures have 700hp rear drive cars, and the GT500 will be the slowest of them all, in acceleration. All good I don’t really care, I’m just trying to put things into context and reality.
No you're trying to piss on everyone's parade.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No you're trying to piss on everyone's parade.
Yeah realistic expectations.

Anyway enjoy your parade, this is meant to be a thread about exactly what I’m talking about. Overpriced vs it’s performance (potentials).

This reminds me of the CR thread, I was telling people until my face went blue this thing will not have more than 9.5:1 compression as it’s based on a five year old gen2 design, the new gen3 design didn’t make it to this car. I’m talking specifically engine here.

Like I said enjoy, I’m a champion for this as much as anyone, but I’m realistic with its capabilities. @BmacIL has been saying the focus and direction of this car is different! Truly!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Kinda of what I was thinking too. Maybe he was just showing off a little for the crowd or perhaps trying to put some heat(grip) on the rears since it's a front heavy car....My guess is between the DCT's quick shift capability/torque mitigation and probable launch control with 315's on the rear and high 3's will be attained by everyday drivers and mid 3's needing a little practice or perhaps a driver mod...The transmission in this case will be the secret sauce.
I just caught something here, how does a DCT do “torque mitigation”?

Do you mean traction control? That’s done by the PCM with spark cut. All mustangs have that same feature. It’s just tuned differently on the models.

Maybe you mean the actual clutch engagement vs rpm vs spark curve. Generally that’s how a “launch” is tuned. The advantage of a DCT over a torque converter or manual clutch is consistent clutch pressure of engagement per every launch, but it can’t modulate on different launches. It’s set per driving mode and launch rpm, therefore surfaces make a huge difference. Someone correct me if this logic is different for this car.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I have a feeling this car will more than exceed expectations, on track and strip. Next car with electric motors up front will attempt to be that car.
Sponsored