Sponsored

GT500 vs It's competitors: Is it really overprice ?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Well now we have pricing now we have options. Now we just need to see performance from the mags. When pricing was first announced I went and spec out what my GT500 would be. I actually first thought 77,108 ??? Wow ! That would be my price for the GT500 I would want. TO /w blue vinyl stripe/Tech pack/ Black painted roof. Then I went onto a few sites and looked at other cars that would be in the same category and market, with close or similar specs and found that my GT500 was actually a deal or right where the competitors were. Let's see,

1. The Dodge RedEye, (non widebody) 82,105. https://www.dodge.com/build.challen...XY,MXN,UAQ,AJV,AMA,AAY,ADG,APA,X9,PVP,27Z,3EJ
2. The Camaro ZLE (Zl1 LE) was 73,085 after the discounts.
3. A Lexus is LC500 was 105.290k. (Please stop with it's a Lexus. In England it's a Toyota.) https://www.lexus.com/build-your-le...,-a-:[-FP-,-LD-,-PA-,-ML-],-p-:[-PQ-],-z-:[]}
4. BMW M4 Orange, same options, 78,800 https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/studio/dy43nlwi/summary
5. Vette Z06 1LZ package, orange https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette-z06-sports-car/build-and-price/summary
6. Porsche... Well since I am not a expert of these models, I will just leave the link. I know the 911 is the competing model I would guess....but that's where my knowledge end. https://www.porsche.com/usa/

These are cars I can think of that I would also look at for a performance vehicle. Those prices are how they would be build out. I was looking at the options, and I not just the engine and suspension, but all options. When you really compare and cross shop, the GT500 is actually a pretty good deal.
I see people asking for a car that can compete with these vehicles, but expect it to cost 50k. Seriously ?? So now looking at this list, is the GT500 really over priced ? (Yes 10k for painted stripes is a bit much)

Your thoughts ? Let's see them.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yes. It is overpriced.

For some it will be worth the glory tax. for others, it will not.

For me, I am torn. I think it's a transcendent Mustang. Basically a sports car in pony car disguise.

No one really wants just the base, but it's all that most can afford. They really should have made them all carbon track pack cars - we don't need multiple tiers of this car. It's the alpha and needs to just be what it is. Now we will have to deal with base models being tested with top tier competitors due to "oh, we are doing this because they are the same price."

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
Yes. It is overpriced.

For some it will be worth the glory tax. for others, it will not.

For me, I am torn. I think it's a transcendent Mustang. Basically a sports car in pony car disguise.

No one really wants just the base, but it's all that most can afford. They really should have made them all carbon track pack cars - we don't need multiple tiers of this car. It's the alpha and needs to just be what it is. Now we will have to deal with base models being tested with top tier competitors due to "oh, we are doing this because they are the same price."
I personally think the aesthetics of the base is nicer than the track pack. I can afford a track pack but want the base.

Is it overpriced? Time will tell based on sales. I am sick and tired of the comparison to the Camaro. I don’t give a shit about Camaro performance and price. It is a god awful ugly car with poor sight lines and storage that I would never buy. I’m buying the GT500 because it’s the most powerful Mustang ever in a car with a rich history.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Just going to say, in 2009 a Nissan GTR was 70k.

Carbon fibre, ultra high strength steel, aluminum, AWD system light years ahead, and 3800lbs.

It had a dct too, and was limited in the amount they could build as the engine and dct were both hand made.

Does that put pricing into perspective? Of course the GTR has bloated in price now, but the initial introduction is what’s the mark.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Just going to say, in 2009 a Nissan GTR was 70k.

Carbon fibre, ultra high strength steel, aluminum, AWD system light years ahead, and 3800lbs.

It had a dct too, and was limited in the amount they could build as the engine and dct were both hand made.

Does that put pricing into perspective? Of course the GTR has bloated in price now, but the initial introduction is what’s the mark.
Ok, but the GT500 will beat that car at everything and it’s 2019.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I think the only cars that realistically compete with the gt500 from that list would be the z06 and the ZL1 1LE. Everything else is either too bloated or too underpowered. The problem is the two GM products. It's a tough sell for a base gt500 when you cab realistically get a z06 or a ZLE for thousands less, unless the base gt500 will put a hurting on them, which I don't think it will. Im not confident that even with the track pack it will be able to best a ZLE. I hope im wrong.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I started to type out a reply analyzing some of the cars you listed.

Then I realized we don't have the performance numbers on the GT500 yet.

It's a given the interior and exterior won't be as nice as a Porsche (I have no idea about the Lexus). The Porsche 911 will probably be significantly slower 0-60 from what Ford has been saying, and 0-60 is the 911s main strength.

So.. it's difficult to say whether the GT500 is overpriced. If it slays cars that are supposed to be built for track use and that cost a lot more, then maybe it isn't overpriced.

We will know whether the GT500 is really worth the money once the reviews come out. If you buy today you are buying because you want the car and you trust that Ford will do a good job with it. I really loved my GT350... I wouldn't be surprised if the GT500 ends up being worth the money to many owners.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lead Foot Raptor 2019 Silver Spruce Expedition 2019 Bullitt Mustang 2009 Jeep Wrangler
The base Porsche 991.2 911 (2017+) is doing 0-60 in mid 3’s with the 911 S hitting low 3’s so they are definitely not significantly slower. For $75k-ish I think the GT500 makes sense. If you start getting near the $100k range a Porsche 911 makes much more sense. The other cars just have zero interest to me. The Redeye is a cool car but it’s a boat and I wouldn’t really want one. I’m not really a huge fan of BMW and I can’t bring myself to remotely care about a Camaro other then vintage models. I do like Corvettes but I just don’t feel like their build quality is up to Ford’s at all from the C7’s I have driven and looked at. They are a bargain right now though so it’s hard to ignore that, I just couldn’t pull the trigger on one over the Mustang. If I sell the Bullitt anytime soon it’ll be for a 911 though most likely over the GT500 just due to getting near that $100k price point I just feel is Porsche territory and I think the 991.2 Carrera S is the better car.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ok, but the GT500 will beat that car at everything and it’s 2019.
Yeah the point flew over your head.

Same tech, same materials (more carbon on the GTR vs base 500) and lower price 10 years ago.

Technology gets cheaper over time, not more expensive. How can nissan produce a low volume of those cars at cheaper prices 10 years ago? Again technology becomes cheaper. Let that sink in.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It may not be overpriced for it’s competition, but it is overpriced for a Mustang.
Lets stop with this "its a Mustang" bullshit. It's only over priced if you want one and can't afford it or you don't like the car. 2019 Mustang Bullitt number 1 sold at Barrett Jackson for $300.000.00. The person who bought the Bullitt thought it was well worth the price. It's not what you think it's what the person who's buying it thinks.

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Lets stop with this "its a Mustang" bullshit. It's only over priced if you want one and can't afford it or you don't like the car. 2019 Mustang Bullitt number 1 sold at Barrett Jackson for $300.000.00. The person who bought the Bullitt thought it was well worth the price. It's not what you think it's what the person who's buying it thinks.
I was watching that show this AM. Cars selling for well 100K on average but they are also pure look at me cars meant for profit down the road.I think they said the last VIN Z06 C7 vette sold for 2 million but it was going to charity. I don't think most of those cars will be driven much. But It is true, you buy what you want and if you can afford it then its not too much if you really want it. Its the joy it brings that makes it worth the money.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Yeah the point flew over your head.

Same tech, same materials (more carbon on the GTR vs base 500) and lower price 10 years ago.

Technology gets cheaper over time, not more expensive. How can nissan produce a low volume of those cars at cheaper prices 10 years ago? Again technology becomes cheaper. Let that sink in.
Nothing flew over my head, every car was cheaper 10yrs ago including the GTR which now starts at $100k for basically the same tech as 10yrs ago... all that tech got cheaper so why is the GTR $30k more?

You’re paying for the performance delivered priced vs the competition and the GT500 will provide every dollars worth, but don’t expect Ford to give it away.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I was watching that show this AM. Cars selling for well 100K on average but they are also pure look at me cars meant for profit down the road.I think they said the last VIN Z06 C7 vette sold for 2 million but it was going to charity. I don't think most of those cars will be driven much. But It is true, you buy what you want and if you can afford it then its not too much if you really want it. Its the joy it brings that makes it worth the money.
:rockon:
Sponsored