Sponsored

Bridgestone S007a vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Hey Guys, just ordered a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza S007a tires from tire rack and since they didn't have a direct comparison test between the two tires I figured I'd mash together their test data and share it here.

First price for 4 (this is based on my tire sizes, your results will vary):
MP4S $1630
S007a $1092

Next tire rack brief description:

MP4S
  • What We Liked: Does everything asked of it at a very high level.
  • What We'd Improve: Nothing.
S007a
  • What We Liked: Offers a nice step up in dry traction without much sacrifice to comfort.
  • What We'd Improve: Could use some additional steering feel and an increase in wet grip.

A couple of quick thoughts here. I get skeptical whenever a reviewer starts to sound like they are the product developers extremely proud mom. Come on tire rack you seriously can't think of a single thing you'd improve. I know that MPSS have long been considered the standard of Max Performance Summer street tires and that the MP4S were designed to exceed that, but seriously nothing. Also interesting note here is that Tire Rack has the MP4S listed as a max performance tire and the Bridgestone S007a listed as an extreme performance tire. I'm not 100% on this but I think in the tire rack category hierarchy Extreme is a step above max. For the record all the top Michelin Tire offerings are listed as MAX while all the top Bridgestone Tires are listed as extreme. My guess is that these are specified by manufacturer and only really play a role on what tires tire rack decides to use for their direct tire comparisons. That at least explains why I had to keep flip flopping between two browser windows to compare the test results of each.

Now for the data.

Stopping Distance 50-0 Dry:
MP4S 80.20 ft
S007a 78.60 ft

Stopping Distance 50-0 Wet:
MP4S 108.80 ft
S007a 118.30 ft

Average Cornering G-Force Dry:
MP4S 0.92
S007a 0.93

Average Cornering G-Force Wet:
MP4S 0.78
S007a 0.78

Slalom Time Dry:
MP4S 4.91
S007a 4.97

Slalom Time Wet:
MP4S 5.53
S007a 5.70

Lap Time Dry:
MP4S 29.78
S007a 29.98

Lap Time Wet:
MP4S 33.05
S007a 35.57

My thoughts,

For years Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been a unicorn in the tire world and thanks to them leading the way we are finally seeing suitable alternatives coming to market. The largest differentiating factors between the MP4S tire and S007a is wet stopping distance, and price. I daily my S550, but drive very cautiously in the rain so couldn't justify the extra cost (perhaps I just jinxed myself with that statement). There are currently manufacturer rebates available on both tires, but be aware that the Michelin rebate expires on the 4/18. I also lucked out by ordering tires on the wife's laptop and had a ebates app pop up getting me an additional 4.5% rebate. April seems to be a very good time to buy tires.

One last note, tread wear rating on the MP4S is 300 while the tread wear rating on the S007a is 240. I don't trust these numbers at all, but I will be sure to mention it in a review update if I start to notice the Potenza's wearing noticeably quicker then the Michelin Pilot Super Sports they are replacing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Great data, very good to see, thanks!

Now we just need to know how the S007A handles getting melty hot at the track. We know the MP4S does ok when too hot.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Nice write up. I really like Bridgestone Potenzas (ran 050s & 070s) and just put on a set of S-04's for the summer. In my experience the stickier summers give away some wet performance which is fine with me because I don't push it on wet roads, too many variables.

PS4's are good, just not nearly $600 better than the Potenzas.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Great comparison; these are two fantastic tires without a doubt. Data aside, I think the Michelin shines best in the subjective categories of steering response, steering feel, and ride quality (in respect to performance). IMO, there is no alternative to the PSS/PS4S when considering these factors. Of course, if these categories aren't a priority then there really is no reason to get the PSS/PS4S unless you like to drive laps in a perpetual typhoon, enjoy spending a bit more than needed, or simply prefer a French tire company with a marshmallow mascot.

For our European/overseas U.S. military readers, if you live in Germany (and I believe much of Europe) the prices for the PS4S are about $100 less expensive for each tire ($400 less for a set) in the larger sizes. That includes shipping to your door and VAT.

OP
OP

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Great comparison; these are two fantastic tires without a doubt. Data aside, I think the Michelin shines best in the subjective categories of steering response, steering feel, and ride quality (in respect to performance). IMO, there is no alternative to the PSS/PS4S when considering these factors. Of course, if these categories aren't a priority then there really is no reason to get the PSS/PS4S unless you like to drive laps in a perpetual typhoon, enjoy spending a bit more than needed, or simply prefer a French tire company with a marshmallow mascot.

For our European/overseas U.S. military readers, if you live in Germany (and I believe much of Europe) the prices for the PS4S are about $100 less expensive for each tire ($400 less for a set) in the larger sizes. That includes shipping to your door and VAT.

I think if I could buy the MP4Ss for a $100 less a tire they'd be my choice. I'm surprised to hear of such a significant price difference, seems like if that is the case there should be an opportunity to make a decent amount of profit selling Michelin's stateside. When shopping for tires I did notice a steep uptick in price once you got wider then 275, wonder if that holds true as well on both sides of the pond.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I think if I could buy the MP4Ss for a $100 less a tire they'd be my choice. I'm surprised to hear of such a significant price difference, seems like if that is the case there should be an opportunity to make a decent amount of profit selling Michelin's stateside. When shopping for tires I did notice a steep uptick in price once you got wider then 275, wonder if that holds true as well on both sides of the pond.
I just ran a quick price comparo between a leading US online vendor versus a leading UK/European online vendor:

MPS4S 305/30/20. US: $440 each plus tax and shipping. Europe: $350 each with tax and shipping included.

MPS4S 275/35/19. US: $314 each plus tax and shipping. Europe: $279 each with tax and shipping included.

It looks like the price benefits do decrease with smaller diamter and width sizes. This may be due to many Euro cars coming with 20” MPS4S from the factory (supply & demand); I also “think” the larger sizes are made right in France while smaller sizes are made in the US for the US market. Of course trade deals and tariffs play a part in this too.
Sponsored