Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I like the v6 it’s a good car it also fit my budget at the time & I did not buy the car to impress people but if you think it’s not a good car I have known problem letting you buy me a GT .. to each his their own

The truth is on the road they don’t know your driving a V6. Only Mustang guys and other gear heads know. In Canada the cars come with fog lights standard. They have to ask and after a year and a half that’s four people in my case.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
1. The Cyclone engine has more power than any of the standard V8 engines before 2011.
2. There is a national club dedicated to the six banger Mustang. Look up M6A.
3. A straight six has less engine vibration.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
1. The Cyclone engine has more power than any of the standard V8 engines before 2011.
2. There is a national club dedicated to the six banger Mustang. Look up M6A.
3. A straight six has less engine vibration.
It isn't a straight six though...60 deg V6.

I'd buy the crap out of a modern straight six Mustang because perfectly balanced engine, but it'd be longer than the 7.3 the two bros over in the other thread want to stuff in.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
It isn't a straight six though...60 deg V6.

I'd buy the crap out of a modern straight six Mustang because perfectly balanced engine, but it'd be longer than the 7.3 the two bros over in the other thread want to stuff in.
And then imagine the EcoBoost version of a modern straight-6... I want it now.

BmoreRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ruby Red V6
A couple of good reasons to buy a V6.

First, is price. The V6 is a great deal and is made of the same parts as more expensive Mustangs for a lot less money. It's even a $1500 discount over the EcoBoost, a very good and affordable car. Combine that with not paying for an auto trans and I get a Mustang with great performance for about the cost of a nice economy car.

Next the 3.7l V6 is a great engine and very solid and reliable. Frankly I think it's a very under rated and under appreciated engine and easily, IMO, one of the best engines Ford ever made. While it's a tiny bit dated now, it's still pretty high tech and delivers a nice blend of economy, power and reliability.

I did not want the added complexity of the Ecoboost. It's a great engine and I had a predecessor of that engine in my old Mazda 3, the 2.3l 4. That engine was solid and super reliable but the added turbo charger was a bit much for me.

Also the V6 delivers all 300hp on regular gas. I have tried a few tanks of premium and while, unscientifically, I got marginally better MPGs on premium I noticed no difference in power. Both the 4 and 8 require premium gas for full rated HP.

No sound tube on the V6. Like or not the engine sound in the passenger compartment, it's all real with no tricks to amplify or embellish it.

Let's not forget that the current four and the now departed six produce the power of V8 engines as recently as 2010. Many people who bought $30k GTs in 2010 paid an extra $10k for the V8 and then the 2011 V6 arrived with all but the same HP and the 2010 GT suspension for $10k less.

I'm a geezer with nothing to prove. Not that anyone buying something else does, but for me I get all the power I can handle and quick acceleration when I need or want it so no need for much more.

Last summer as I was driving across my city I came upon a dude somewhere near my age in a "Vette. We *cough cough* noticed each other and *cough* drove across the city together. When we met up at a light about halfway through we smiled and nodded to each other. I said "We both know I won't win the street race but that doesn't mean it won't be a lot of fun trying." He gave me a huge smile, nodded back and we two old guys went about our business driving the remainder of the trip like responsible adults in the cars that offered more power than we could have afforded when we were young knuckleheads.

Did I mention above that the Corvette and Mustang drivers drover their respective cars like responsible adults? That's important because they both lend themselves well to being driven by responsible adults. And I want to emphasize the responsible adult part as I would not want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Every once in a while I think I might have enjoyed a V8 but then I see traffic in front of and all around me and say "Eh? What would I do with the extra power?"

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Things like big power, a heavy rumble, and straight line acceleration are generally the first things that most enthusiasts come to understand - within the USA, anyway.

Some actually come to appreciate more about cars in general and (gasp) even engine configurations other than crossplane V8s. Unfortunately, some never do.

The US domestic mfrs almost without exception treated the inline 6 like a tractor or a farmer's pickup truck engine with a couple extra cylinders. And that image still persists even though we're well past the days where inline/cam-in-block, 1-barrel carburetors, and peak HP occurring at around 4000 rpm was state of the art for sixxers.
I realize now that my GT has way more power than I would ever need. Our V6 challenger has just the right amount. But, since my Mustang was purchased to replace my old faithful Pontiac Firebird 400, and as such I didn't consider the V6 at the time. I now realize that it probably would have been a fine choice especially if I wanted to cut the expense.
Us old guys are still learning that these are NOT the V6 from the Dodge Darts in high school driver ed class.

Norm

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realize now that my GT has way more power than I would ever need. Our V6 challenger has just the right amount. But, since my Mustang was purchased to replace my old faithful Pontiac Firebird 400, and as such I didn't consider the V6 at the time. I now realize that it probably would have been a fine choice especially if I wanted to cut the expense.
Us old guys are still learning that these are NOT the 6's from the Dodge Darts in high school driver ed class.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will a V6 hold value better than a GT350 though? Should be more rare and special since Ford stopped making it!
Don't buy a car to hold value.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Don't buy a car to hold value.
Unless its an Oldsmobile. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

I've ordered two new Oldsmobiles and sold both for more than I paid new.

First was a '77 Delta 88 Royal with 403. I usually only kept a car a year back then and usually advertised at a ridiculous price to start since I was never in a hurry. I got a call the first day from someone who said he'd pay my price (which was between MSRP and what I paid). Seems his life goal was to pull an Airstream around the country with a new Olds when he retired which was that week. He actually bought the Airstream and went to an Olds dealer to buy the car and they told him they didn't have a model that was rated to pull that much weight since '77. Mine was the only one he could find. LoL

Second was a '79 Toronado. Due to gas prices, Olds couldn't give away the '78 boats so a dealer sent a letter to my CU saying they would sell them for some ridiculous amount less than invoice. It didn't mention any model year. Fast forward many months. The day the '79 order banks opened, I was there with a copy and was told it did not apply to the downsized '79s and that they wouldn't even sell me one for sticker because the demand was so high. I got the CU president to call them and tell them they could rescind the letter, but if they didn't sell me one at those terms, they would send any Olds shoppers to a competitor. I may still have a small dent in my sternum where the Sales Manager threw the keys at me from across the showroom floor when the car finally arrived. I sold the car for a little more than I paid before the new model demand petered out.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I drove the '17 V6 and '17 EB back to back, and chose the V-6 because of the sound. I love the start-up growl of that engine. Also preferred the V-6 rear bumper treatment, and the seat upholstery over the EB, if I'm going to reveal the pickiness that went into the decision.

I probably should've just kept it, but was tempted by the power bump and A-10 that came along in '18, so I traded. I still miss that growl. A perfectly great car for being a "base" model. Was a shame to see it treated like a bastard stepchild by Ford.
1102171721.jpg

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Always somebody bashing somebodies decisions. Think of this- 1. They bought American 2. They bought a Classic Name plate!, 3 just let the MF enjoy his badazz car without your retarded interference. HE/She doesn't need YOUR approval to enjoy their badazz American 300 HP sports Machine. NEXT!!!!!!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove the '17 V6 and '17 EB back to back, and chose the V-6 because of the sound. I love the start-up growl of that engine. Also preferred the V-6 rear bumper treatment, and the seat upholstery over the EB, if I'm going to reveal the pickiness that went into the decision.

I probably should've just kept it, but was tempted by the power bump and A-10 that came along in '18, so I traded. I still miss that growl. A perfectly great car for being a "base" model. Was a shame to see it treated like a bastard stepchild by Ford.
1102171721.jpg
Nice car. Knowing what I know now, I'd have kept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.