Hold your horses...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Bill Ford Doubles Down on Mustang-Inspired EV Being Fun to Drive

Submitted by Patrick Rall on February 28, 2019 - 4:50pm

Since the first time that a Ford Motor Company executive referenced the all-electric crossover with Mustang design cues, it has been understood that this large EV would offer Mustang-like performance as well. There have been rumors that the Mustang-inspired electric crossover will be designed to compete with the Tesla Model X, which is one of the quickest SUVs sold in the world, and recent comments by Bill Ford support those rumors.

While speaking at the Crain's Detroit Business Newsmaker of the Year conference, Bill Ford stated that the Mustang-inspired electric crossover – which has been rumored to sport the Mach E name – is “going to go like hell”. That phrase carries deep meaning within FoMoCo, as back in the 1960s, Henry Ford II told the Ford drivers racing at LeMans against the Ferrari teams to “go like hell”. They did, too, winning every year from 1966 through 1969.

Those Ford race cars had the impossible task of beating Ferrari, the best in the business at that time. When the all-electric Ford crossover inspired by the Mustang arrives, it will have almost as big a task, taking on the Model X, built by industry-leading Tesla.

An Exciting EV
Bill Ford went on to explain that in the early days of electrification, vehicles had to be “green and boring”, or it had to rely on lots of gasoline. However, electric vehicle technology has come a long way and Tesla has shown that an electric drivetrain can deliver an exhilarating driving experience. The problem is that the Model X ranges in price from $82,000 up to $138,000, with the price rising as you add features.

It seems unlikely that the Ford Mustang-inspired electric crossover will cost nearly $100,000, so if the Mach E offers performance coupled with range anywhere near that of the Model X, it could be a crushing blow to Tesla. At the same time, even if the electric crossover “only” offers performance similar to the Mustang, it will be the most exciting mainstream EV to date
Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I for one am looking forward to seeing this Tesla killer. If it’s really good I might pick one up for the wife so she can offset my fun and loud carbon footprint.

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
I would welcome a ford electric SUV/crossover. But why use the mustang name? Couldn't they come with something else? What will happens to the coupe/fastback mustang? I don't see the point of using the Mustang name.

Maybe mustang will becomes a brand on its own......Or the coupe/fastback will really disappear.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
They aren’t using the Mustang name... just saying the design is “Mustang inspired”. Or are you talking about the Mach name?

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
well i though since they post a blue horse that they were referring directly to the mustang. But if it is only inspire by the mustang bit does not share the horse/mustang name, i am ok with it.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
well i though since they post a blue horse that they were referring directly to the mustang. But if it is only inspire by the mustang bit does not share the horse/mustang name, i am ok with it.

They may not even use that. All of Ford was watching the Tesla Model Y reveal on Thursday night and someone probably thought it was a cool idea to post the flaming blue electric pony.

Chill...

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They may not even use that. All of Ford was watching the Tesla Model Y reveal on Thursday night and someone probably thought it was a cool idea to post the flaming blue electric pony.

Chill...
Yeah I'm sure that's exactly the marketing strategy Ford uses.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yeah I'm sure that's exactly the marketing strategy Ford uses.

The Tesla Model Y is supposed to be an electric crossover that handles like a sports car so the two are direct rivals.

And yes butting heads this way is marketing strategy.
Sponsored