Sponsored

L&M Engines advises against MMR opg?

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Figured I would post this up and get some opinions.

Dropped off a friends 2015 block today at L&M in Hatboro PA to get sleeves and pistons. And got into a conversation about billet opg's

Very nice guy and he did show up on a Sunday morning when they were closed so we could drop the block. This is not a bashing thread, more of an interesting conversation.

I mentioned that I bought a set of MMR opgs to go into my 2018 and they said to return them ASAP because they have a horrible fit and scuff the inside of the pump.

Said TSS is the only gear they reccomend. Even mentioned that boundary opgs are a bad fit as well.

Now I'm not sure if this is a sales pitch because that's who they have a partnership with, but it did get me thinking and doing some research.

I could only find one obscure thread back from 2013 about improperly fitting MMR opgs and nothing else.

I'm not overly concerned, however anyone else have a similar experience?
Sponsored

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
MMR here. Haven’t heard anything about this. Sure don’t want to take it apart to look. Subbed for info

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
I bought a set of MMR OPG's and they had machining chatter on them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Boundary gears were perfect in my friend's 16 GT.

OP
OP

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
MMR here. Haven’t heard anything about this. Sure don’t want to take it apart to look. Subbed for info
I bought a set of MMR OPG's and they had machining chatter on them.
Boundary gears were perfect in my friend's 16 GT.
My 16 car had TSS and no issues.
The MMR gears I have look great no weird marks.

I dont have any personal experience with Boundary.

The convo I had made me second guess myself especially seeing all of the coyote and gt500 engines being built in that shop. Lots of cool builds going on there.

At the end of the day they didnt have any broken opgs or housings laying around to show any proof.

There were quite a few broken secondary timing chains that were pretty interesting tho!

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
FWIW I'd be emailing the builder and asking straight out if using the MMR opg will affect the extent to which they'll warranty or back the build. Last thing you want in the case of a failure is 'we told you so'. Builders in general shouldn't fit parts they're not comfortable fitting without saying so first, but sometimes they forget to do so until after you pick it up or when something goes wrong.
Sponsored