Sponsored

2018 Mounting a Licence Plate

Chimpanzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Fastback
Hello All, I am a newbie here and new to the Mustang. I am getting a bit of a runaround from my dealer regarding the mounting of the licence plates and I am seeking some help please from the ''brains trust'' here.
Basically I have slimline plates front and back and the dealer is wanting to use an oversized mount that is like a black bar on the front and something similar on the back that looks very odd and untidy.
I know Lakin plates has closed up recently but my question to all of you in the brains trust is how do you mount your plates to the car and what products do you use to make it look so tidy and clean like you all have in your forum photos?
Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
Sponsored

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello All, I am a newbie here and new to the Mustang. I am getting a bit of a runaround from my dealer regarding the mounting of the licence plates and I am seeking some help please from the ''brains trust'' here.
Basically I have slimline plates front and back and the dealer is wanting to use an oversized mount that is like a black bar on the front and something similar on the back that looks very odd and untidy.
I know Lakin plates has closed up recently but my question to all of you in the brains trust is how do you mount your plates to the car and what products do you use to make it look so tidy and clean like you all have in your forum photos?
Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
There are a few options such as screwing directly to the car no need for an ugly bracket , double sided tape or some Perspex covers from auto barn

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest no holes and using 3M Command strips
I have the Lakin brackets with the built in Command Strips - they stick like shit to a blanket and there are no holes in the plates themselves.

It's a huge shame that Philip had to close his business - his products were/are top notch.

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
The simple plastic brackets that my dealer put on with 2 screws back and front are fine and cost nothing. They are branded Kingpin Products. They use the existing dimples that were meant for drilling and mounting plates. Autobarn have them for $15 in a couple of styles.

Last edited:

MexicanBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My dealer had 2 little spacers and screwed directly to the bar

I took out the spacers, bent the plate to match the bend in the bar and double sided tape and put the screws back in

Looks perfect, cost nothing

OP
OP

Chimpanzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Fastback
Thank you everyone for the advice! Its a great help, looks like the tape is the go. Cannot believe that there is nobody that actually manufactures something for just this problem anymore. MexicanBatman, were the spacers something that came with the car or the dealer just has them laying around? If it is screwed in what is the purpose of the double sided tape, something to keep the abrasion down? I actually bought the KingPin Holder (KP006) but the dealer is giving me a hard time saying they won't work.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Thank you everyone for the advice! Its a great help, looks like the tape is the go. Cannot believe that there is nobody that actually manufactures something for just this problem anymore. MexicanBatman, were the spacers something that came with the car or the dealer just has them laying around? If it is screwed in what is the purpose of the double sided tape, something to keep the abrasion down? I actually bought the KingPin Holder (KP006) but the dealer is giving me a hard time saying they won't work.
I have the Kingpin PR00180 bracket with standard Qld plates. They look like they would also suit Qld slimline as well. They attach with 2 screws and allow various vertical positions to be adopted. My plates are attached to these with 2 screws. They sit close to the car and the front one can only be seen slightly when viewed from above.
Tape may make the plate difficult to remove if you decide on getting stripes or paint protection later. I don't know what state you are in but in Qld the diamond between the letters and numbers (if you have that) is not central horizontally so this may be accentuated if you bend the plate to suit the bumper. Besides the bend in the bumper on 18's and later is less than the earlier styling.
In the end they are only rego plates.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I went the 'show n stow' option for my '17. They have new '18 versions of it. Not sure the availability for you where you are, but I like mine. Spring loaded retainer lets me pull it off the car and put it in the trunk. You can't see the bracket below the splitter. Just make sure you get the right one for your configuration. Here's the one for a non-PP car:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/license...ithout-performance-package-2018-2019/p/LPB53/

Sponsored

MexicanBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They were something the dealer had

The screws are to fill the holes that are now there and just in case the tape lets go

lockwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2019 Bullitt, 2018 BMW M2, 2019 MX5 RFGT
Hi Chimpanzee,
If you’re still after a Larkin mounting solution give me a call on 0477 77 00 17 (Canberra) I have a solution you can’t refuse. John

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I took my Lakins off when I put my plates on hold, and just used velcro strips to mount the new plate. 3 vertical strips across the plate, and bent to match the contour of the bumper, you wouldn't even know it's velcro. Alternatively there really is nothing wrong with screwing straight into the bumper with a couple rubber washers or 3M foam pieces to keep the plate from scratching it

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Hi Matt,

Just reading through the Forums and I noticed you have sold your 2016 GT.

I'm expecting a Bullitt end of the year and will be putting mine up for sale soon.

Just wondering, did you sell with the mods or did you de-mod it and then sell?

Any advice would be welcome.
Sponsored