Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't have a ton of seat time yet in this car, maybe 3,000 miles total, and only two time trial (think autocross on the juice) style events under my belt.

Both events were held on a "street" style road course, unprepped, fairly low grip, and standing starts were a real challenge. I left all the nannies on at each event the whole time.

For the second event I tried out the launch control and even at 3k RPM it was flaming the rears pretty hard. I was able to get my best launches just slipping it out from about 2500 RPM.

Here's where my question lies - on one run I said fuck it and dumped the clutch (not side-stepped) at between 3k and 4k and much to my surprise this mofo does the gnarliest rolling burnout, and stepped out pretty hard when I grabbed second. Supposedly this thing has traction control, but apparently it was just out to lunch because it did seemingly NOTHING to "control traction" in this case.

So my questions is (1) Does anybody else feel like the traction control is usueless? Or does it not work below a certain MPH or something? and (2) For Autocrossers and those launching hard on unprepped tracks, what are you doing to get the best dig?

FYI tires are 275 MPSS, and I have ZERO wheel hop with all the Steeda goodies installed. Alignment was just done, 1/32" toe in and 2.15-2.2 degrees negative camber each side rear (corner car, I don't drag race).
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I turn everything off for autocross. It interferes too much otherwise, and the car just drives better with no nannies on (even in the wet). You shouldn't need to launch that hard on most courses though, and the launch control is pathetic. You'll launch way better at the drag strip just slipping it, too.

The tl;dr is: don't bother using launch control, as it's not going to get you the best results anywhere.

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I definitely see that about the launch control, but am I way off base thinking the traction control should be doing SOMETHING to control wheel spin in 1st gear? In most cars it’s pretty obvious when it intervenes, but I didn’t feel anything.

That said, I don’t mind the analog feel of a car without all the electronic fun police, but it’s hard to tell if it’s even working correctly

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely see that about the launch control, but am I way off base thinking the traction control should be doing SOMETHING to control wheel spin in 1st gear? In most cars it’s pretty obvious when it intervenes, but I didn’t feel anything.

That said, I don’t mind the analog feel of a car without all the electronic fun police, but it’s hard to tell if it’s even working correctly
Keep in mind that you will get the best acceleration with some wheelspin (about 10% slip is ideal). You should not need to do a drag launch for autox, though. TC usually just cuts the guts out of the power and it is rather subtle.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Keep in mind that you will get the best acceleration with some wheelspin (about 10% slip is ideal). You should not need to do a drag launch for autox, though. TC usually just cuts the guts out of the power and it is rather subtle.
Ditto with stability control. With Mustangs turn them both off for autocross and learn how to manage the throttle/traction. The only exception might be a really unsafe site and/or driver.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't autox with any of the nannies on, so I can't speak to what T/C should be doing. I can't tolerate it cutting throttle later in the runs, so for launch its turned off.

Getting a feel for how to get off the line quick with your right foot, the engine and tire noise in your ear, and your butt to feel whats going on and you'll probably be a better driver in 6 months anyway.

Try to get off the line at a Pro Solo off a drag tree start ... in the pouring rain ... without any IRS mods (F Street). 1500 rpm launch and go eaaasy. lol.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ditto with stability control. With Mustangs turn them both off for autocross and learn how to manage the throttle/traction. The only exception might be a really unsafe site and/or driver.

Do we even have traction control or just stability control?

If the car is fairly straight, the nannies don't seem to intervene, even to help get the power down (traction control). But get the car sideways a bit and it does definitely intervene (stability control).

Be happy it doesnt ruin the fun completely all the time, and that it can be fully turned off.

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah exactly what I was thinking, maybe that’s the key, no lateral Gs and it’ll let you light em up, but get sideways and it shuts down the fun? Some insight into how the traction control and stability control programming are SUPPOSED to work is really what I’m looking for I guess.

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
If I’m in track mode and I turn AdvanceTrac stability control off, is TC off too?

I was on a skid pad today in Track mode, and the throttle cut out on me/front outside wheel locked when I tried to practice oversteer.

Trying to figure out how to turn off TC and stability control at same time.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
If I’m in track mode and I turn AdvanceTrac stability control off, is TC off too?

I was on a skid pad today in Track mode, and the throttle cut out on me/front outside wheel locked when I tried to practice oversteer.

Turning off Advance Trac also turns off Traction Control.

Did you get enough wheelspin to hit the rev limiter or were you low on gas?

Another possibility is that Advance Trac came back on.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Just hold TC off for 5 seconds till you see advancetrac off. Normal mode.

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I’ve heard of instances where AdvanceTrac turns itself back on. Happened to Matt Farrah on video once during a track session.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard of instances where AdvanceTrac turns itself back on. Happened to Matt Farrah on video once during a track session.
Interesting. Never had that happen in 3 years, nor even after a tank-slapper and spin one run at my last autocross.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Interesting. Never had that happen in 3 years, nor even after a tank-slapper and spin one run at my last autocross.
It can definitely turn back on. I've had it happen multiple times while autocrossing.

The only way to get around it is to pull the plug by the airbox under the hood. This will turn of TC and AdvanceTrac without messing with anything else and it won't turn back on. Drive modes still work.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It can definitely turn back on. I've had it happen multiple times while autocrossing.

The only way to get around it is to pull the plug by the airbox under the hood. This will turn of TC and AdvanceTrac without messing with anything else and it won't turn back on. Drive modes still work.
I've had that message/error pop up twice, though both times were when I was in Advancetrac Sport Mode, not all off. Interesting.
Sponsored