Sponsored

New Michelin PS4 (front) and old PS4S (rear). Traction control problems?

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It is possible of course. Since I did not spin off the track (always pleasant avoiding that) and my laptimes did seem to have improved, perhaps it was indeed the case rather than my obscure hypothesis.

I rarely have the opportunity to drive at this last track (e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e normally), so will see how things go next time I'm back at my regular track.

Thanks for the comments.
Today I had a trackday at my "regular" track and I'm quite certain that the "loss of traction" warning comes on a lot more than the last time I was here, when I had MPS4S on both the front and rears, while my skills have only marginally improved.

Since my laptimes are still slightly improving I'm now thinking that it is probably not the new MPS4 (no "4S") on the front that are slipping, but the old MPS4S on the rear. I'm guessing the new tires on the front make me feel I have a better grip than before and thus I go a little faster around the corners, but the old tires on the back are unable to keep up and start slipping.

If it was the opposite, the MPS4 on the front slipping, I'm thinking I would feel it start slipping and not try to go faster than before during my warm-up laps (before I eventually switch to trackmode and no longer see any "loss of traction" warnings).

I'm not really sure if the above makes sense though.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Since my laptimes are still slightly improving I'm now thinking that it is probably not the new MPS4 (no "4S") on the front that are slipping, but the old MPS4S on the rear. I'm guessing the new tires on the front make me feel I have a better grip than before and thus I go a little faster around the corners, but the old tires on the back are unable to keep up and start slipping.
TC only control the rear tires to be fair which is why you eat up rear brakes when driving on track with TC on. With that in mind almost always your rear's will be more worn than your fronts (track driving requires fresh and strong front tires) mostly because depending on track direction your front left (clockwise) or front right (counter-clockwise) are the most used tires. With that in mind if you are seeing TC kicking in on braking and before Apex it means your rear is sliding on braking and corner entry (because of worn out your rear is pushing the more grippier and braking front) this will happen when your rear's are close to the end of there life or close to heat cycling out. Also different compounds will not cause TC issues I run hard fronts (PZero's) with soft rears (Hankook K127) as my daily set and TC is ok in fact car is super good to drive. For this it's very important your tires to be Square for track driving because you can move your worn front tires to rear and buy new front tires. You still will need to take in mind having worn out rear's but at least they will be not so worn as completely worn tires and you will only buy 2 tires at a time.
Sponsored