Sponsored

If I don't get Active Exhaust will I regret it?

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Idk if you’ll regret it but I would’ve. I absolutely love it and like others stated probably my most used feature. Stock was great, then I added a Steeda X pipe and was in love. I was really debating if I wanted to put the LTH on but since they were basically free and only cost me my time installing them I did. I’d hate myself right now if I didn’t have AE. In fact I know I would’ve already had them off and sold. But the cold start and quiet mode are great, and normal with it is amazing. Track mode... sounds like a race car. It’s raspy and raw, I hated raspy exhausts but man.. I don’t regret it at all. I believe track is basically straight through. This with the ghost cam and the LTH and Xpipe and I’m in love. The only thing, I wish the tips filled the cutout more. Otherwise I doubt I’ll ever do the axle back portion of the exhaust.
How's the cold starts with your LTH and X-pipe in quiet mode? You think It's about the same as a S550 mustang GT with no active exhaust and stock mufflers? This feature is one main reason I may get active exhausts b/c I'll add off road exhaust not long after getting the car and I don't want to be the loud mustang guy in the neighborhood b/c it'll be my daily at 7am M-F
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
How's the cold starts with your LTH and X-pipe in quiet mode? You think It's about the same as a S550 mustang GT with no active exhaust and stock mufflers? This feature is one main reason I may get active exhausts b/c I'll add off road exhaust not long after getting the car and I don't want to be the loud mustang guy in the neighborhood b/c it'll be my daily at 7am M-F
For the first 5-10 seconds it pretty loud, but no where close to what normal mode is. If I didn’t have AE I would’ve pulled them off already lol But the quiet mode makes it pretty livable. It’s loud but not bad.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
i didn't get it and i do regret it a little bit. the stock non-active is nice, but having the functionality to make it quieter or louder would be really nice

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I passed on the option. The stock GT exhausted to me is perfect Inside the car and outside the car.
If your looking for boy racer attention .......po po included and the hassles it might bring
Get the active. Stock with an X or H will be better $ spent from a performance stand point.
My $.02

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
^Screen name "Jet Noise" but dislikes Loud Exhausts.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 55, and I definitely would have regretted not getting AE. I just wished it would stay in the mode you put it in until YOU decide to change it. That's my one and only complaint about it. The sound in Sport mode is my favorite with just a little crackling when you let off. Well worth it as an option for the price.
I'm pretty sure you can save it under "My Mode" - the driver settings, at least I think set it on my 2019 like that.

I will double check when I start it up in the morning.

TJ

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Aftermarket cat-back can easily run more than the $895 active exhaust option. Go to a dealer that has one and try it. I kind of thought it was going to be a gimmick, but it is quite noticeable. If you have a job where you go to work before a lot of your family wakes up, the quiet start makes a big difference. Sound is subjective, so it's up to you what you want to hear.
It's not an $895 option if you get a base package it's $3000 because without the premium stereo/8inch display, you can't run the exhaust system. That's why I opted out and spent that $3000 on a Performance Pack. YMMV

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It's not an $895 option if you get a base package it's $3000 because without the premium stereo/8inch display, you can't run the exhaust system. That's why I opted out and spent that $3000 on a Performance Pack. YMMV
What? Active Exhaust is stand alone and does not require the digital gauge cluster or the larger infotainment screen to be used. The modes can be set in the small information display between the analog gauges.
Go on Ford’s website, you can build a base GT and choose the AE as the only option and it will not try and add anything else. I have no idea who told you that it required any premium options but they flat-out lied to you.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I'm pretty sure you can save it under "My Mode" - the driver settings, at least I think set it on my 2019 like that.

I will double check when I start it up in the morning.

TJ
Only if you have the digital dash. Unfortunately tha functionality doesn’t exist with the analog guages.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
What? Active Exhaust is stand alone and does not require the digital gauge cluster or the larger infotainment screen to be used. The modes can be set in the small information display between the analog gauges.
Go on Ford’s website, you can build a base GT and choose the AE as the only option and it will not try and add anything else. I have no idea who told you that it required any premium options but they flat-out lied to you.
Then I guess the dealer lied to me when I ordered. If that's the case, should be easy to add on later. Couple wires, couple valves underneath.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My personal opinion, just another thing that can break over time with the valve opening and closing. I would not go with it if I were buying a 2018/2019.

I'd rather invest in a nice cat back like the Corsa Sport even if it does cost a few hundred bucks more. Not like it's loud or drones at all in the interior. It's honestly perfect with the stock headers for many people.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
My personal opinion, just another thing that can break over time with the valve opening and closing. I would not go with it if I were buying a 2018/2019.

I'd rather invest in a nice cat back like the Corsa Sport even if it does cost a few hundred bucks more. Not like it's loud or drones at all in the interior. It's honestly perfect with the stock headers for many people.
I don't have any neighbors that close and I don't plan on roaring through the hood at 5:30am so I'm totally cool with my decision. If it becomes that big a deal to me, ill upgrade it later myself. I have 6 months of winter to mess with such things. I doubt I'll get tired of the stock exhaust with X pipe I already bought or the Whipple Supercharger screaming under the hood. My car is built for go not show. I have a 1970 restomod with an auto if I get bored or my left foot stops working.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Then I guess the dealer lied to me when I ordered. If that's the case, should be easy to add on later. Couple wires, couple valves underneath.
Many salesmen are grossly uninformed. I had one say that all 18+ GT Mustangs had AE and it’s tied to the drive modes, the option just lets you set it independently... :crazy:
Unfortunately, it likely is not an easy addition, you’ll need to completely replace the exhaust system/mufflers and flash your computer: it’s controlled with electric impulses similar to magneride and is not merely/only a physical valve that opens and closes, (outside of track mode) it actually opens more depending on your rev range so the engine doesn’t choke itself. It’s surprisingly complicated and seemingly one of the first active exhaust systems to function in this manner (smartly). To avoid issues of trying to retrofit it, you may be better off adding an aftermarket one that’s controlled by a physical switch.
Sponsored