Sponsored

Guess what? Motortrend favors the Camaro again

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Chevrolet pulled out of the UK quite recently. The official reason: The cars could not compete. No one liked them and they were inferior to British cars. I think only one Camaro was sold over here last year. Ford sold over 2,000 Mustangs. When you can get a nearly new Jaguar F Type for the cost of a miserable Camaro why bother? The Mustang sells because it is a Mustang and it is beautiful. Not like the ugly as sin Camero.
So, when you say "official reason," are you saying that GM actually said they couldn't compete?
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Chevrolet pulled out of the UK quite recently. The official reason: The cars could not compete. No one liked them and they were inferior to British cars. I think only one Camaro was sold over here last year. Ford sold over 2,000 Mustangs. When you can get a nearly new Jaguar F Type for the cost of a miserable Camaro why bother? The Mustang sells because it is a Mustang and it is beautiful. Not like the ugly as sin Camero.
So, when you say "official reason," are you saying that GM actually said they couldn't compete?
:popcorn:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My wife was at Ford for 11 years. And my neighbor retired a few years ago from FCA. In Detroit it’s like that. :cool:

Wife was in IT, though and is NOT a car nut like her husband, so no good intel there. :eek:
Growing up, my neighborhood always had a few prototype cars in the driveways. I got to drive a European Sierra Cosworth (prelude to American merkur xr) for a weekend, because someone's dad "went out of town".

As Martin said, Detroit's like that.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Anyone want to play a game? When the Camaro sales thread starts at the start of July we should guess some of the posts that are made.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
No, he is saying that the official reason is his opinion that they are ugly and because he saw only 1 of them over in the UK which must obviously mean that only 1 sold.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Problem is that the people that are directly intimate with S550, or Alpha-Camaro at that, don't want to risk getting fired. You will only get hints and "he said/she saids"...

Even as programs mature, people still don't want to risk writing anything on the internet.

When Ford Racing merged into a more Ford Racing-Ford Motor Company division, as Ford Performance, you wouldn't believe the tensions on getting fired from letting anything of any sort slip (projects like the GT350 and GT).

Those are the reasons you 99.999% of the time wont see anything posted.

I don't think the other guys on Camaro6 realize how blessed they are that Al Oppenheiser will post on the forum from time to time, and in some good detail.
That's the same with just about any industry in the world, there's ways to give valuable information, or quell rumors without compromising your job. Hell, any official or unofficial communication between Ford insiders and its fan base would be nice, it doesn't even have to be someone involved in engineering or design. When Ford put an axe to their forum customer support folks, that really negatively impacted my outlook on their customer service. Why would they do that when they had a direct line to what anyone would agree are their most die-hard fans and loyal customers? They were a great resource while we had them and suddenly disappeared without explanation. The Camaro people have it good. We're mostly in the dark, and all we get is Top Notch who basically fuels the rumor mill more than anyone else here with super vague, truncated tidbits or teaser concepts.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Their Glut of inventory after release gave a deep insight as to exactly what GM expectations were for sales volume. Do you really think GM is "happy" with being dead last in sales (and don't give me the ATP and rental bullshit). They are so happy about getting their asses handed to them in sales that they have been trying to figure out how to offer lower optioned camaro's to make up for their sales deficiencies. The more market a business can control the better.

As for the challenger, the tooling and R&D has long...long...long been paid off for a majority of those chassis. And they are still outselling the camaro on a regular basis.

Come July, camaro once again will be dead last in YTD sales
By a factor of two it seems.

Alpha is still a great platform and it pisses me off that pony guys have to shit on each other instead of just enjoying the last hold out of performance we're likely to see for a long time. JMO. Just saying something positive about mustangs on this forum attracts LS trolls who can't see the forest for the trees.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
By a factor of two it seems.

Alpha is still a great platform and it pisses me off that pony guys have to shit on each other instead of just enjoying the last hold out of performance we're likely to see for a long time. JMO. Just saying something positive about mustangs on this forum attracts LS trolls who can't see the forest for the trees.
LS trolls? Only Mustang owners are the bad guys!

I’m salivating at the mouth for those numbers so the trolls can come up with an excuse for the July sales thread on Camaro6. Camaro owners don’t car about sales only profit margins!

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Just give it a bit of time for the regulars to get on. The Mustang must have had even more mods than listed since Mustang drivers always leave mods off the list!

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Where's the salt? All I see is them disputing only 10whp from long tubes and a tune...and they're right.
I am pretty sure the after-market torque converter ate some of that but they also made it back up on the ET for the same reason which is what they're forgetting. There's no real need to be pissed off. The car went into the 11s as expected. PEAK WHP is just a number at that point when your converter is more effective for the track. JMO but they seem real hung up on every metric when in reality the results were in their favor. Looks like that site built a decent track setup without realizing why hahaha.

jsaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ
I’m salivating at the mouth for those numbers so the trolls can come up with an excuse for the July sales thread on Camaro6. Camaro owners don’t car about sales only profit margins!

Which is ironic because profit margins are directly linked to projected sales numbers. The ATP on Alpha based cars might look good but profit margins most certainly aren't as GM definitely expected to sell many more Alpha platform-based models than they have.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533015

"The Camaro is a super car. There is no visability issues at all. Sales are fine.
Because 3/4 of Ford sales are fleet sales anyway. Gm makes so much more per car sold. It doesnt matter that we are getting outsold by a metric f$%k ton. I enjoy driving the more rare car. I see 15 Mustangs on every block. If I forget anything. Please feel free to fill in the blanks. "

Okay 4v if I see this in that thread will you admit you are wrong?
Sponsored