500 bhp

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You need to forget about CAI's, they really do fuck all on the 5.0, maybe a few ponies on a dyno with the hood up.

On the road, stop start and the true cold air and RAM AIR effect of the stock air box, you will find the stock air box yields as good if not better performance than any CAI, so save your money.

Simply mod the stock air box, remove the carbon trap, fit a panel filter and get a velossa big mouth to improve ram air effect.

A really good custom tune for some good fuel (99) should yield 485-500HP on an MY18, but headers would seal that deal for sure.

The only reason UK/Export make less power is tune changes to meet our markets and of course RHD models have the right side manifold tweaked which cost around 5HP to fit the steering column.

In theory an MY18 with modded air box, full highflow catted headers, 99 fuel and a good tuner would see you around 530HP and about 460lb/ft so would certainly be quite nice indeed and any NA 500+ is very nice.

But saying all this a stock MY18 will drive very nice, they are not quite as lazy as the MY15-17 was as those really need waking up with a tune, whereas as the 18 is better from factory, higher compression and PI/DI helps of course too with response.
Ah! So possibly better to consider headers instead of, or before, installing a replacement CAI.
Thanks.

I also agree, I'll drive it stock first and then decide what, if anything, I need to change.
I've limited experience of modifying for engine performance, with a recent car of mine having an ECU map. Best part about that was the throttle response/throttle map. The OEM throttle felt as though it was dead for the first 40/50% of travel. With the ECU map the throttle felt fresh, repsonsive and was my favourite part of the map, over the actually bhp/Nm increase.

Ta.
:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Ah! So possibly better to consider headers instead or before CAI.
Thanks.

I also agree, I'll drive it stock first and then decide what, if anything, I need to change.
I've limited experience of modifying for engine performance, with a recent car of mine having an ECU map. Best part about that was the throttle response/throttle map. The OEM throttle felt as though it was dead for the first 40/50% of travel. With the ECU map the throttle felt fresh, repsonsive and was my favourite part of the map, over the actually bhp/Nm increase.

Ta.
:thumbsup:

Tune is absolute best bang for buck, I recommend Palm Beach for an NA tune, cost of an SCT X4 (check ebay) you want a Ford 7015 un-married US one. Then the tune is $200 unless PB changed prices.

Once dialled in expect 30-40HP gain and you can have them adjust throttle maps and drive by wire system to your liking, along with torque limiters.

Then if you want more, yes headers. A few RHD options now, so shop around.