2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hmmm... a transmission that's engaging and interactive versus mashing a pedal...

No need for a second slushbox. My old Jeep has that covered. :lol:
Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Not sure I would call bonking up the gearing in the 2018 MT82 "refined". Good for gas mileage... performance not so much.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
OK Sig, I'll bite: where did you score two 2018 EBs; one manual and one auto? Do you own one or both? Work at a dealership? Work for Ford (so you can take them out on a random "Quality Test" - to reference another thread)? :)
No problem at the dealership, I have let my dealer tech and sales guy (who tracks) take my Whippled 15 out. Once even let the tech finish off a set of old rears in a 60 second burnout. I have no problems getting service done, lol...

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
So it sounds like, specifically for the Ecoboost Mustang, most folks think the A10 is the better choice. Unless you really want to row your own gears, of course. Doesn't seem to be any real quality difference or problems with either one. Just comes down to personal preference.

Though it does sound pretty clear that if you wanna accelerate as quickly as possible and stay in the optimal power band with the EB, A10 again is the way to go. And I don't think anybody's really gone into how easy it is to lose boost with the manual, versus the A10 which won't drop the boost (yeah, I read that somewhere else and it's been nagging me %^).

I'm new to turbo and have always driven stick, but based on this thread - and again given turbo/EB, looks like the A10 is the clear choice.

At least until I test drive them both again . . .:)

Last edited:

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
The A10 is a lot of fun, but I just can't bring myself to own an automatic transmission. The engagement of a manual is hard to pass up even if the auto is faster.

My wife is the same way and drives a manual '18 Civic EX-T coupe. The level of control of a manual is exciting and never gets old. Fortunately, we also have minimal traffic out here in Kansas.

Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
What’s the chances of the MY18 manual transmission 3/4 gear failure being rectified for the MY19 cars?

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
What’s the chances of the MY18 manual transmission 3/4 gear failure being rectified for the MY19 cars?
What 3/4 gear failure? One or 2 shift forks posted on the Internet or did I miss something?

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Yep those on YouTube, guys not being able to find 3/4 th, some aluminum breaking and transmissions on back order

statusnone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1
Last 3 cars I've owned were manual. Went with the A10 on the 2018 GT because I live in the heart of Orlando and the traffic is insane. Also because of the sub 4 sec 0-60. Definitely miss my manual, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me on the A10.

nikolai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Orange Fury GT
I recently test drove an M6 and A10 2018 GT back to back at my dealer. Within the confines of a quick test drive, I found the clutch petal throw to be really long and the engagement point to be too high on the manual. The auto was very nice, though it did seem to search for the right gear if you take off like a granny.

For reference, I also drove an M6 and A8 2018 Camaro that same day. The manual there was nicer than that on the Mustang. The clutch engagement was as expected though the short shifting from 1st to 4th to save gas was infuriating. The A8 was OK in my opinion, but not better than the A10. This one is hard to quantify why I felt it was better though (sorry).

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I recently test drove an M6 and A10 2018 GT back to back at my dealer. Within the confines of a quick test drive, I found the clutch petal throw to be really long and the engagement point to be too high on the manual. The auto was very nice, though it did seem to search for the right gear if you take off like a granny.

For reference, I also drove an M6 and A8 2018 Camaro that same day. The manual there was nicer than that on the Mustang. The clutch engagement was as expected though the short shifting from 1st to 4th to save gas was infuriating. The A8 was OK in my opinion, but not better than the A10. This one is hard to quantify why I felt it was better though (sorry).
The Mustang clutch is one of the easiest to drive of all the manual cars I have ever owned.
Engagement is high and long making driving it much easier than my heavy grabby WRX clutch that I have to press half way down.
Most of the time I don't even need to press the clutch all the way down to change gear.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I recently test drove an M6 and A10 2018 GT back to back at my dealer. Within the confines of a quick test drive, I found the clutch petal throw to be really long and the engagement point to be too high on the manual.
I hated the way the clutch felt on my car. It just felt extremely vague and hard to gauge the engagement. After two days of driving I took the stupid clutch spring out and replaced it with the Steeda spring. It feels perfect now.

My main complaint with the MT-82 is heat. Manual transmissions tend to be a a bit warm in my experience but this transmission takes the cake. My center console gets hot to the touch after trips longer than 30 mins.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm new to turbo and have always driven stick
I didn't see where anybody has yet commented directly on what you're likely to run into here. With a manual, there will be low speed situations where you get caught off-boost in too high of a gear. Keep in mind that off boost, what you've effectively got is only a small-displacement NA engine, less than half the displacement of the available V8.

I haven't yet driven a car with either an MT82 or the new A10, but I do have considerable experience with turbos and manuals (the Subie in my sig). It's not that you can't get past these off-boost situations, but it is something you'd notice every time it happens.

I'm guessing that the A10 will be generally better at quickly compensating in such cases than you will on your own by having to downshift to a lower gear than you thought you were going to need.

Norm

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I hated the way the clutch felt on my car. It just felt extremely vague and hard to gauge the engagement. After two days of driving I took the stupid clutch spring out and replaced it with the Steeda spring. It feels perfect now.

My main complaint with the MT-82 is heat. Manual transmissions tend to be a a bit warm in my experience but this transmission takes the cake. My center console gets hot to the touch after trips longer than 30 mins.
That's from your cats not the transmission.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I didn't see where anybody has yet commented directly on what you're likely to run into here. With a manual, there will be low speed situations where you get caught off-boost in too high of a gear. Keep in mind that off boost, what you've effectively got is only a small-displacement NA engine, less than half the displacement of the available V8.

I haven't yet driven a car with either an MT82 or the new A10, but I do have considerable experience with turbos and manuals (the Subie in my sig). It's not that you can't get past these off-boost situations, but it is something you'd notice every time it happens.

I'm guessing that the A10 will be generally better at quickly compensating in such cases than you will on your own by having to downshift to a lower gear than you thought you were going to need.

Norm
Just keep the rpm at an optimal range. It's not too bad. MT82 downshifts pretty nice IMO. I have never had issue downshift to high rpm.
Sponsored