2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
1600 rpm??? My guess is that Ford is accepting driving that's closer to lugging than I ever would for me. Then again, when driving my wife's Subie in slow-moving traffic that refuses to maintain any semblance of constant speed I've been known to make upward of 50 shifts per mile.

Norm
Lugging is not just a function of rpms. It's also a function of load. You can drive the car all day long at 1200 to 2000 rpms in any gear as long as you're easy on the throttle. It won't be very satisfying, but it won't hurt anything either.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So your preferred RPM range would start north of 2000? 2200?
What Intrepid175 said, which I'll note is dependent on both your temperament and the circumstances of the moment.

For me, while I don't need to have blinding acceleration available at the tip of a toe, I do want to have enough available for what might reasonably develop out of the current situation without having to downshift to get it. Think of this as predicting what gear you might need before you absolutely need to be in it, vs reacting to a sudden need for a lower gear . . . if that makes sense. I hope it answers Cardude as well.

FWIW, automatics in "D" are reactive rather than predictive in most cases. They're just good at it and don't grumble about not seeing the need to downshift ahead of time.

Absent traffic, I'd never drive her Subie much under 2000 in any gear above 2nd, and even in traffic, I'd really rather be at 2000 rpm in whatever gear works for the speed of the moment than at 1400 - 1500 rpm one gear higher. Even in my GT, I'm rarely under 1500.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The automatic is a paddle shift gearbox.

If you're the type of guy who drives his automatic in manual mode most/all of the time, then consider if you can live with paddles.

I do, and I can't.
I think you'd really like to see a console shifter with a +/- feature like some other cars have. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with something.

Norm

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I think you'd really like to see a console shifter with a +/- feature like some other cars have. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with something.

Norm

Yeah, that's what I currently have and it's great (as far as automatics go). Push fwd to downshift, pull back to upshift (some are opposite, which is stoopid).

Ready to step back into a manual though. I like driving, and I like engine braking. Not enough in an automatic, no matter how good it is.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

What Intrepid175 said, which I'll note is dependent on both your temperament and the circumstances of the moment.

For me, while I don't need to have blinding acceleration available at the tip of a toe, I do want to have enough available for what might reasonably develop out of the current situation without having to downshift to get it. Think of this as predicting what gear you might need before you absolutely need to be in it, vs reacting to a sudden need for a lower gear . . . if that makes sense. I hope it answers Cardude as well.

FWIW, automatics in "D" are reactive rather than predictive in most cases. They're just good at it and don't grumble about not seeing the need to downshift ahead of time.

Absent traffic, I'd never drive her Subie much under 2000 in any gear above 2nd, and even in traffic, I'd really rather be at 2000 rpm in whatever gear works for the speed of the moment than at 1400 - 1500 rpm one gear higher. Even in my GT, I'm rarely under 1500.

Norm
I agree Norm. Have power on demand just in case a split second decision is needed to avoid an accident, deer, etc. I try not to shift below 2k rpm in any car that I drive that's a manual. My shifting range is 2k-3k rpm depending on flow of traffic. Because my GT has 4.10 gears, I actually end up starting in 2nd most of the time and skip shifting to 4th then 5th then 6th. Theoretically, the car can be started in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd from a stoplight.

When I shift at 3k rpm and skip shift, the rpm skipping a gear is around 1.5k rpm. This is the only time I'm technically shifting before 2k rpm.

Sponsored

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
call me old skoo, but why wouldn't you get a manual on a 5.0? its a mustang, V8. i can't imagine driving an automatic in a 5.0.

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
I agree Norm. Have power on demand just in case a split second decision is needed to avoid an accident, deer, etc. I try not to shift below 2k rpm in any car that I drive that's a manual. My shifting range is 2k-3k rpm depending on flow of traffic. Because my GT has 4.10 gears, I actually end up starting in 2nd most of the time and skip shifting to 4th then 5th then 6th. Theoretically, the car can be started in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd from a stoplight.

When I shift at 3k rpm and skip shift, the rpm skipping a gear is around 1.5k rpm. This is the only time I'm technically shifting before 2k rpm.
Understood completely wrt the GT - AFAIK, you can do that no problem with a naturally-aspirated engine. But I'd worry about attempting that with a turbo, and I think that's what I'm trying to suss out. But yeah, it looks like above 2k is a good place to be; lower if you're highway cruising in overdrive and low load.

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
call me old skoo, but why wouldn't you get a manual on a 5.0? its a mustang, V8. i can't imagine driving an automatic in a 5.0.
I'm a purist too, so I agree - to a point.

But - drag racing.

I've seen some crazy fast times with a 5.0 coupled with the 10A. Just amazing, and worth at least considering the automatic for that reason alone, IMHO.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
While I agree manual is more fun...I present the following reasons:

Daily driving in stop and go traffic
Injury in left leg that makes it painful or impossible to use clutch
Drag racing
Multiple drivers of whom one might not know how to drive manual
MT-82 quality/issues

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All good reasons, but...

this is where the manual transmission is the most fun! No traffic on the highway with the cruise set you might as well have an automatic. Manuals are great to play with in stop and go.
Very true, but Mustangs have light clutches and pressing it is good physical therapy. You should be doing light exercise to improve your injuries if possible.
Drag racing
It's harder to be consistent and fast with a manual, but that also makes it more fun.
Do them a favor and teach them to use a manual. They will thank you later.
MT-82 quality/issues
Not a good enough reason to pass on all the fun that you could have shifting your own gears.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

All good reasons, but...

this is where the manual transmission is the most fun! No traffic on the highway with the cruise set you might as well have an automatic. Manuals are great to play with in stop and go.
Very true, but Mustangs have light clutches and pressing it is good physical therapy. You should be doing light exercise to improve your injuries if possible.
It's harder to be consistent and fast with a manual, but that also makes it more fun.
Not a good enough reason to pass on all the fun that you could have shifting your own gears.
Nope

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
All good reasons, but...

People who buy the automatics are the same ones who look for the closest parking spot to the entrance of the gym so they don't have to walk so far to get in...

Bottom line: Different strokes for different folks. I detest the day when my only choice is an electric car with very little direct involvement in the driver - computer mediator - engine/braking/steering interface. If I only bought the pony car for what "performs the best out of the box", I would have bought a Camaro. Instead, I bought the car that was more enjoyable to drive in all driving conditions I intend for it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Gives you a little more to do in that stop and go driving (which sucks to be in regardless of transmission type).

Been there, done that, had to wait out the recovery period, still have a couple of SS screws in my left knee and it does get a little sore from time to time for no apparent reason. Sometimes you can get past this one.

Drag racing
I get the reason why here, but it's really an individual thing rather than a universal requirement.

Most people really can learn to drive stick, including wives, daughters, and granddaughters. It's probably easier for that to happen if they can at least observe how it's done and see that it's not all that hard to do. If they're already driving, they at least wouldn't be trying to learn everything else about driving along with the MT skills.

MT-82 quality/issues
No basis for comment here.

Norm

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
People who buy the automatics are the same ones who look for the closest parking spot to the entrance of the gym so they don't have to walk so far to get in...
What's a gym? :D

Generalizations about people you don't know are not necessarily accurate. I park a long way away whether I'm in a manual or an automatic Mustang or any other car except maybe a rental. There are lots of reasons why an automotive enthusiast would choose either type especially now that the automatic is so good. :D FYI my current 18 (automatic) and my previous 15 (manual) were both purchased primarily for autocross. The 18 already has 9K miles with 7K from to/from distant SCCA Pro Solos and Tours on RE-71R's.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You must be a younger person or never drove older performance vehicles with a clutch if you think modern Mustang clutches are not light. Heck, it seems like 1/2 the people on this forum remove the assist spring or put a lighter one on because they believe it improves the clutch feel.
Sponsored