Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I am able to cancel out my ticking by unplugging one of the ignition coils. my last oil change i cut open the filter which had no metal in it. leads me to believe its piston related maybe a wrist pin. Taking in tommorow, this really sucks
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the dealer will take care of you.

What is your build date?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
If my prior experience with Ford quality issues is any indication of how quickly they may remedy the 5.0 engine noise/scouring problem, it could be a while before it gets a fix from the engineering dept.

I say that based on my experience with Explorers in the late 90's to the 2004 model. The big bug a boo on each of the three I had was a whining rear differential requiring a replacement. The '97' model had a bad one as the the '98'; the '04'--a different platform required 2 replacement differentials--one at 12k and the other at 65K. Ford handled this all in warranty without a squeak but it seemed clear that my vehicles were getting defective replacement parts because there was no fix to this problem. Could have been a bad supplier or ford design, but the problem remained , even across different platforms. From that experience, I learned never to own a Ford product out of warranty.

What bolsters this notion is the drive train vibration problem which was an issue with many '15'-'17' models. If that problem wasn't remedied during the production run of the early S550 model, I suspect this 5.0 problem won't be fixed by the time they start turning out the '19' models.
I'm planning on taking many test drives of 2019`s. I plan to stop by the dealer today and see what's up with my 2018 short block replacement. It was supposed to be finished last week.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
dude your 19 is gonna make the same noise your 18 did ..if its 10k or its 50k..its the nature of the beast..but there is a solution ….last year I saw a tesla run at the dragstrip and it cut an 11.2 in utter silence, only thing you could hear was bugs hitting windshield and air through the tire tread...was amazing..but if u want internal combustion these days its gonna make weird noise
Tesla's are awesome. If only I had an extension cord that is long enough. There is one in my neighborhood that complete shutdown in the middle of the road at night lol.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
dude your 19 is gonna make the same noise your 18 did ..if its 10k or its 50k..its the nature of the beast..
Oh, so you're saying that the people who don't have that sound should take their cars in for not having the sound?

It's not a nature of the beast. Plenty of Mustangs out there with no rattling sound. Why in the hell would that be an OK thing for people in a 40k car is beyond me.

Go on Camaro forums and Charger/challenger forums. The 6.2 and 6.4 V8s in those cars don't make any noises (there's not nearly dozen threads about the ticking/clunking sounds). When there are issues, it's the lifters. Nobody ever says "oh that sounds normal" if there is a definite ticking and clunking sounds.

Don't even bring up HPFP like most do in these arguments because BBQ tick has gone back well before HPFP was even a thought for these cars. I had a 2011 Speed 3 with an upgraded HPFP and it never ticked like these cars do.

There has been numerous vehicles with these sounds with buybacks andnew shortblocks/longblocks. By saying "it's a nature of the beast" you're not helping anyone. It's a lie, there should be no clunking and rhythmic ticking.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Here is my 2018 Mustang idling and driving over my phone with no load. Everything sounds normal, including the chatter. No loud rattles like you hear when the engine is under load.

Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Go on Camaro forums and Charger/challenger forums. The 6.2 and 6.4 V8s in those cars don't make any noises (there's not nearly dozen threads about the ticking/clunking sounds). When there are issues, it's the lifters. Nobody ever says "oh that sounds normal" if there is a definite ticking and clunking sounds.
I'm not sure what the source is of the noise and like most here want to figure if it's normal or something to be concerned with. Every car I've had, Ford or non-Ford has made different sounds. All have lived long lives. Hell, my SHO will rattle like it's exploding on some startups (could be the chains). Been doing that since 70k. At 127k now and still no issues. I don't like it but it may very well be normal.

One thinkg is certain - if you have the noise and it concerns you get it documented ASAP! Make it cost Ford and dealers $$ to diagnose and fix - that's the best way to get their attention.

Thinking GM and Mopar are immune?

The LS is known to be a Piston Slapper and if you google Camaro or LS Piston Slap there are plenty of people reporting problems. Some are old and some are new. Corvettes have it too.

You may also want to direct your Google to Hemi Tick and yup, those POS's tick too.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/hemi-tick-589809/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/so-i-have-hemi-tick-damn-585345/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/concerning-engine-noise-hemi-tick-other-570609/

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Yup, a few 6.1 and 6.4s have it, mostly before 2015. The ones I've seen on the forums have been bad lifters which have been replaced by the dealer in a couple of hours.

Like I said though, provide a link about the 2016+ 6.2 LS' having piston slap.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe GM has solved it - can't find many recent discussions on it and most have been old. But it did plague them for a while. Also didn't seem to affect many engines' longevity either.

Not so sure on Mopar either but they have a history of noisy engines too.

It's not just a Ford thing either - seems everyone is making noisier engines these days.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Maybe GM has solved it - can't find many recent discussions on it and most have been old. But it did plague them for a while. Also didn't seem to affect many engines' longevity either.

Not so sure on Mopar either but they have a history of noisy engines too.

It's not just a Ford thing either - seems everyone is making noisier engines these days.
My point is that Ford has approved the replacement of numerous engines and in some cases, new cars when the customer brings these noises up to the dealer. Anyone with these noises should get it checked out. Don't just say it's normal.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point is that Ford has approved the replacement of numerous engines and in some cases, new cars when the customer brings these noises up to the dealer. Anyone with these noises should get it checked out. Don't just say it's normal.
I agree that anyone with any noise they don't like needs to get it in and get looked at. IMHO we have many noises that sound alike and happen at different times.

I think we've got:

1. Rattle/Diesel noise that happens all the time under load and light load at around 1900-2500 RPM. Hot or Cold. (BAD)

2. Rattle/Diesel noise that happens under extreme light throttle at 1900-2500 RPM. Goes away or almost goes away when hot. Move the throttle slightly and it goes away (Jury's out)

3. Rattle/Diesel noise when cold that happens all the time and goes away when hot. (Piston slap?)

4. BBQ tick. (Longstanding 5.0 issue?)

We do have some blocks being replaced that exhibited #1 and borescopes show scoring on the walls. Those are the only ones I think we've seen Ford replace the engines on. The person who had the rattle and had the dealer push for a block has not responded in a while.

What we don't know is if #2 and #3 are as bad as #1 or even cause any issues. IMHO that's why it's important for anyone with the issue to get it into the dealer for an examination and/or documentation.

Last edited:

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
I agree that anyone with any noise they don't like needs to get it in and get looked at. IMHO we have many noises that sound alike and happen at different times.

I think we've got:

1. Rattle/Diesel noise that happens all the time under load and light load at around 1900-2500 RPM. Hot or Cold. (BAD)

2. Rattle/Diesel noise that happens under extreme light throttle at 1900-2500 RPM. Goes away or almost goes away when hot. Move the throttle slightly and it goes away (Jury's out)

3. Rattle/Diesel noise when cold that happens all the time and goes away when hot. (Piston slap?)

We do have some blocks being replaced that exhibited #1 and borescopes show scoring on the walls. Those are the only ones I think we've seen Ford replace the engines on. The person who had the rattle and had the dealer push for a block has not responded in a while.

What we don't know is if #2 and #3 are as bad as #1 or even cause any issues. IMHO that's why it's important for anyone with the issue to get it into the dealer for an examination and/or documentation.
dont forget the bbq tick

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added the BBQ tick.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I'm glad someone brought up the fact that there are several different sounds that different people are experiencing. These threads get confusing at times when people are talking about completely different ones.
Sponsored