Sponsored

MotoIQ TESTED: Ford Power Packs 1-3

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
If your exhaust gets too loud it'll decrease the ability to hear the engine, but I think your overestimating what you hear, which is why I say its not a valid reason. It is true, at low RPMs mine is quiet (but it was before too).

You're NOT hearing the "engine" with the sound tube, your hearing an approximation of some intake noise as filtered and changed through the plastic and foam tube post air filter, pre-throttle body. While it's not "fake" noise like an EB per se, it isn't exactly "real" either.

If you're listening to the engine sing via the RPM changes (which is what I want to hear), you're not gaining (or losing) any of that.
true, but old car's engine sound also was distorted by engine bay etc :)

all in all, it is all matter of personal prefs. I wouldn't think of it too much if I didn't previously have a car with no sound feedback at all, and putting catback in only partially fixed the issue :)
Sponsored

DomMustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Premium Competition Orange GT
Amazing article! It really proved how the PP3 is far more superior to the other power packs. I can see how people would get caught up on the max torque numbers and I will admit I fell victim to it also but after long and hard look at the dyno graph; I can see why and how come the PP3 is way faster. Right at 6700rpm that's where the baseline through PP2 would fall flat on their faces in HP and TQ #'s. This is the point right before it would be time to shift gears while in full throttle to rev limiter and you can see the PP3 still pulling in TQ and horsepower for another 800rpm. Amazing job in proving this point, it was a great read!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Amazing article! It really proved how the PP3 is far more superior to the other power packs. I can see how people would get caught up on the max torque numbers and I will admit I fell victim to it also but after long and hard look at the dyno graph; I can see why and how come the PP3 is way faster. Right at 6700rpm that's where the baseline through PP2 would fall flat on their faces in HP and TQ #'s. This is the point right before it would be time to shift gears while in full throttle to rev limiter and you can see the PP3 still pulling in TQ and horsepower for another 800rpm. Amazing job in proving this point, it was a great read!
I agree. Same reasons why I want to get a 350 manifold for my car. I don't need midrange torque. But when I really want to go fast, I will be going WOT and shifting at redline, which is where the GT350 will win. Also, it gives me extra RPM before I need to shift, which would give me a little extra time to straighten my car out going through a turn so I don't upset the balance of the car with an upshift.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Amazing article! It really proved how the PP3 is far more superior to the other power packs.
Can’t tell if your trolling or not. For people using the car for every day driving the increased torque in PP1/2 is going to be more noticeable than the improved top end of PP3.

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
To each, his own. I like PP1 for torque and hp/$. I can understand why people would want pp3 though. Especially if it had an even higher redline... Stupid MT82...

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Can’t tell if your trolling or not. For people using the car for every day driving the increased torque in PP1/2 is going to be more noticeable than the improved top end of PP3.
I doubt they are trolling but to your point, yes. If the car is a daily driver or country road car PP3 would be a waste of money. On the other hand kudo's to Ford for deploying three versions because PP3 should be the choice for those who use their cars on tracks. Drag to road, that is the bread winner.

At least that is how I see it. Sort of like the GT vs the GT PP. Those who track their cars and like to do the wrenching themselves probably makes sense to buy the base GT. On the other hand those who do like to drive the back roads or track once or twice a year but "do not" like wrenching on their cars the GT/PP may make more sense.

/shrug

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went from stock to PP3 in my daily driver and I'm not missing anything and am gaining at all RPM. Maybe I'd like PP2 better and might have felt some "losses" if i went from PP2 to PP3, but I don't see many people doing that. I can't say enough how happy I am with PP3 and how it transformed the car into a beast. I love revving the thing out on every on ramp and whenever I won't be breaking the law.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went from stock to PP3 in my daily driver and I'm not missing anything and am gaining at all RPM. Maybe I'd like PP2 better and might have felt some "losses" if i went from PP2 to PP3, but I don't see many people doing that. I can't say enough how happy I am with PP3 and how it transformed the car into a beast. I love revving the thing out on every on ramp and whenever I won't be breaking the law.
The issue I have is how expensive the PP3 package is plus having to have it installed by a mechanic compared to just purchasing the GT350 IM and installing it yourself. I rather purchase the GT350 IM out of warranty than get the PP3 package.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I'm not worried about the warranty if I install this package myself. If I did this it would be to get the CARB certification so that I can pass smog tests. Living in California I'm still undecided about how I want to do engine mods. I always hear that there are ways around it if you know somebody and are willing to spend a little money, but I wouldn't know for sure until the time came.

If I decide not to worry about smog, I will just buy the parts separately, including headers, and then have it tuned professionally.

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm not worried about the warranty if I install this package myself. If I did this it would be to get the CARB certification so that I can pass smog tests. Living in California I'm still undecided about how I want to do engine mods. I always hear that there are ways around it if you know somebody and are willing to spend a little money, but I wouldn't know for sure until the time came.

If I decide not to worry about smog, I will just buy the parts separately, including headers, and then have it tuned professionally.
I use to live in CA and it seems to be getting worse. These Power Packs are plug and play with no legal/smog concerns, which is nice for piece of mind.

They also have good calibrations that most aftermarket tuners aren't able to match (from the various tuned cars i've driven over the years).

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
After seeing the dynos, I went ahead and just got the drop in filter. I'll get PP2 after the warranty is up and I can DIY the install.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
After seeing the dynos, I went ahead and just got the drop in filter. I'll get PP2 after the warranty is up and I can DIY the install.
Return it and get the PP2. It is amazing and absolutely worth it.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
With my stock Coyote (and tires) I have issues putting power to the ground. So not sure I'd benefit from pp2.

I'm not getting either of PPs though :), and not trading in for 2018 for a few extra horses :)

I see the powerpack as the way to refresh my car several years later when I feel like I need a present for myself and the car or so.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
With my stock Coyote (and tires) I have issues putting power to the ground. So not sure I'd benefit from pp2.

I'm not getting either of PPs though :), and not trading in for 2018 for a few extra horses :)
Sounds like you need a V6. Not better tires. :lol::lol::lol:

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)

I see the powerpack as the way to refresh my car several years later when I feel like I need a present for myself and the car or so.
Are you trying to launch on ice or something? Even with the stock Pirelli PZeros, I have no problem whatsoever putting the power down.

I can see your point about the PP2 though if you haven't tried it. The PP2 makes the car so much more fun to drive on a daily basis. I feel like the car is actually even easier and smoother to drive now with the PP2 than stock. The Ford Performance tune is phenomenal.

For a daily driver, I would never go back to stock after trying the PP2.
Sponsored