Sponsored

ford has a new plan

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Re. the 2nd question, heavy metals in batteries can be recycled to a large degree. Not that the mining itself isn't damaging, but at least it isn't a one-time consumable product.
On the flip side, coal is burned, spent. You are talking about an effort to recycle batteries which once again consumes energy in the process.

WIRED said:
Rare metals only exist in tiny quantities and inconvenient places—so you have to move a lot of earth to get just a little bit. In the Jiangxi rare earth mine in China, Abraham writes, workers dig eight-foot holes and pour ammonium sulfate into them to dissolve the sandy clay. Then they haul out bags of muck and pass it through several acid baths; what’s left is baked in a kiln, leaving behind the rare earths required by everything from our phones to our Teslas.
At this mine, those rare earths amounted to 0.2 percent of what gets pulled out of the ground. The other 99.8 percent—now contaminated with toxic chemicals—is dumped back into the environment. That damage is difficult to quantify, just like the impact of oil drilling.
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

Nice!
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Here in Pennsylvania, mining doesn't ruin the landscape the way it did decades ago. There is a very high bond you must put up first before you start, high enough to make sure you go back and landscape/plant what you fucked up in the first place. Then after I believe five years, the land is revaluated, and then you can apply to recoup your bond money...
A couple of years ago, I got a tour of a region with major development in natural gas extraction by hydraulic fracturing. All I can say is that if cities and towns were as strict about reclamation and restoration of the land to its pre-development state, nothing would ever get built. Big performance bonds and huge storage areas for overburden that must be put back into its original place at the end of the useful life of the site.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
On the flip side, coal is burned, spent. You are talking about an effort to recycle batteries which once again consumes energy in the process.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

Nice!
Are you of the mindset that there is no issue with pollution, and that climate change/man made effects on the Earth is not an issue?

Or are you of the mindset that today's "green" technology is not the correct path to curb climate change/man made effects on the Earth? If you are, then what is your solution? Maintain current FNA emissions restrictions and look to the rest of the world to follow suit...?

Because all I have seen so far is no solution from you, rather just denying others solutions. I'm open to learning about other solutions.

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
A couple of years ago, I got a tour of a region with major development in natural gas extraction by hydraulic fracturing. All I can say is that if cities and towns were as strict about reclamation and restoration of the land to its pre-development state, nothing would ever get built. Big performance bonds and huge storage areas for overburden that must be put back into its original place at the end of the useful life of the site.
I agree JAJ, I've lived here my entire life and how they got away with strip mining the way they did is reprehensible, thankfully the practice of rape and pillage is dead. :cheers:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Enough environment stuff this is car thread plenty of other forums or go faceblot

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Enough environment stuff this is car thread plenty of other forums or go faceblot
Agreed on the environmental commentaries!

BTW, did any of you notice the Q3 financial results for the FMC?

Based on todays posted results Ford seems to be heading in the right direction but still a long ways to go.

Ford Performance will weather all of the present and upcoming changes just fine!;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :ford:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you of the mindset that there is no issue with pollution, and that climate change/man made effects on the Earth is not an issue?

Or are you of the mindset that today's "green" technology is not the correct path to curb climate change/man made effects on the Earth? If you are, then what is your solution? Maintain current FNA emissions restrictions and look to the rest of the world to follow suit...?

Because all I have seen so far is no solution from you, rather just denying others solutions. I'm open to learning about other solutions.
Your first question rather general. If you can be a bit more specific I'd be glad to address it.

Regarding "today's green technology"...the first thing I look at is the source and then the funding. Who is backing it and who is pushing it. Always.

Solution from me? When man no longer roams the earth we will no longer "pollute." In the meantime, we shall and to varying degrees. Do I believe that we should seek efficiency gains? Yes. To what degree? Case by case and with a rational approach, void of ideology (which is near impossible given the current political climate).

I'm here as an automotive enthusiast and I recognize that the internal combustion engine is a dinosaur on its way to certain death. Hopefully our tombstones can be placed next to each other. We had a great ride together.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford Performance will weather all of the present and upcoming changes just fine!;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :ford:
FP I think it is at risk, I don't cars like the GT350 will be seen again.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure they will.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
FP I think it is at risk, I don't cars like the GT350 will be seen again.
So your telling me that Ford is not going to continue on producing the Raptor, Focus RS and Ford GT let alone bringing out some new models such as the Bullitt, Bronco, Mach 1, GT500, GT500KR, Boss 351 etc.?

As mentioned before I do not see the new CEO Jim Hackett being able to convince the many of the long term Ford execs let alone the Ford Family that Ford Performance will be done away with.

Keep in mind that Mr. Hackett came from a ~$3 billion dollar furniture company to a ~$150 billion automotive giant and cannot comprehend him being able to do anyway with a very integral part of the FMC that has been profitable for many years.

;)

Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Pushing dirt and rock into waterways? Yeah, go ahead and try that, the fines will bury your business in a blink!

Those big bad draglines? When you have a hard left leaning storyteller...whatever. :doh:
Try it? It’s already been done, and continues. Apparently, whatever fines are imposed aren’t enough to discourage it.

OP
OP

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I agree JAJ, I've lived here my entire life and how they got away with strip mining the way they did is reprehensible, thankfully the practice of rape and pillage is dead. :cheers:
I am sorry to tell you what they do now is probably worse the just blow the whole top of the mountain off push away all the dirt off clogging all the natural water ways than make man made containment ponds which always leak and contaminate the under ground water aquifers most Americans have the Wal-Mart mentality and want everything cheap

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Try it? It’s already been done, and continues. Apparently, whatever fines are imposed aren’t enough to discourage it.
I'm in Pa., as far as waterways, streams, creeks, they're simply taboo here.
My inlaws were/are in surface mining right now, DEP will not stand for it. If the stream has fish, you're not allowed near it. They don't play that game here. :paddle:

I am sorry to tell you what they do now is probably worse the just blow the whole top of the mountain off push away all the dirt off clogging all the natural water ways than make man made containment ponds which always leak and contaminate the under ground water aquifers most Americans have the Wal-Mart mentality and want everything cheap
Where exactly is this happening v-man ?

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There's a technology under development near where I live that could "change everything". It takes atmospheric CO2 and turns it into a hydrocarbon roughly half-way between diesel and gasoline. Inputs are air, water and electricity. The inventor thought of it as a way of reducing CO2, but my view is that it's a way to move electricity in a pipeline. Who cares about electric cars if there's no new CO2 released when you burn hydrocarbons?

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm in Pa., as far as waterways, streams, creeks, they're simply taboo here.
My in laws were/are in surface mining right now, DEP will not stand for it. If the stream has fish, you're not allowed near it. They don't play that game here. :paddle:

Where exactly is this happening v-man ?
Those photos are from WV. They are real. Good on PA if they don’t tolerate that, but the harm is real and affects everyone.
Sponsored