Sponsored

[Help] - choosing suspension upgrades for base 2015 GT.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks all. Here's the compiled list so far.

Must Buys

• CB005
  • Ford Racing Strut/Cowl Brace
  • SP082/089 or SP080
  • Steeda Rear Shock Mounts
Should I Buy?

• Vert Links
  • CB006/007
  • Sway Bars
Questions

• PP dampers on the must buy list I believe. Anyone have a link to those? Couldn't find just the dampers?
  • Is SP080 the same as 082/089 just combined?
  • Which vert links?
  • Which sway bars?
  • How much is car lowered by with the 82/89?
  • This affects powertrain warranty right?
And out of all of these which do you guys think are the least important. I'm at around $1500.
I would get dampers from Levittown Ford or Whitebear Lake Ford automation stores. Levittown has a forum section here and they can prepare an invoice with everything you need.

SP080 = SP081 fronts, SP082 rears. SP081 drops the front 1.2". SP089 drop the front ~0.8". The SP082 rears lower 0.5". The 081 and 089 are the same spring rates. This isn't enough lowering to cause daily use problems. My car is lowered nearly the exact same amount and I have no issues and it's daily driven (even in the winter).

This does not at all affect powertrain warranty. It would only affect the warranty of the suspension components you're replacing.

I would not do the vertical links, sway bars or front chassis braces (CB006/7) for what you're looking for, at least not now. Do these: CB005 + SP089/SP082 + PP dampers + Steeda billet mounts + FRPP strut tower kit. That's right at about $1200. You will really enjoy it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I’ve got Koni orange and steeds progressive springs. Great setup and affordable. Get the stress subframe alignment and bushings and you’re all set. I added the stress billet shock mounts and honestly didn’t really notice a difference. Look nice though. Those orange are way better than stock. Not sure how they perform against the PP shocks but I imagine they are better and costs would be similar.

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Just get what's in my signature. With the Black Friday discounts and sales you can probably get everything for less than $2k- maybe slightly over your budget but worth it. :)

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I would get dampers from Levittown Ford or Whitebear Lake Ford automation stores. Levittown has a forum section here and they can prepare an invoice with everything you need.

SP080 = SP081 fronts, SP082 rears. SP081 drops the front 1.2". SP089 drop the front ~0.8". The SP082 rears lower 0.5". The 081 and 089 are the same spring rates. This isn't enough lowering to cause daily use problems. My car is lowered nearly the exact same amount and I have no issues and it's daily driven (even in the winter).

This does not at all affect powertrain warranty. It would only affect the warranty of the suspension components you're replacing.

I would not do the vertical links, sway bars or front chassis braces (CB006/7) for what you're looking for, at least not now. Do these: CB005 + SP089/SP082 + PP dampers + Steeda billet mounts + FRPP strut tower kit. That's right at about $1200. You will really enjoy it.
Thanks. The 0.8'' and 0.5'' drop. Is it the new springs that are helping the suspension more than actually lowering them? And why drop the back and front by different amounts?

Does steeda or bmr not have their version of the PP dampers?

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I’ve got Koni orange and steeds progressive springs. Great setup and affordable. Get the stress subframe alignment and bushings and you’re all set. I added the stress billet shock mounts and honestly didn’t really notice a difference. Look nice though. Those orange are way better than stock. Not sure how they perform against the PP shocks but I imagine they are better and costs would be similar.
Can you see any of these suspension parts with the tire/wheel on?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. The 0.8'' and 0.5'' drop. Is it the new springs that are helping the suspension more than actually lowering them? And why drop the back and front by different amounts?

Does steeda or bmr not have their version of the PP dampers?
Lowering a car reduces it's center of gravity, which improves handling by reducing roll, dive and squat. The front and rear are different amounts of lowering because 1) the geometry is much more negatively affected by lowering in the rear compared with the front. Roll center heights, camber gain and bump toe (i.e. rear steer) all change more than the front for comparable lowering, and 2) the stagger actually looks better to most people, as the wheel wells aren't exactly the same height to the tire, stock. Lowering a car minimally improves its handling without significant detriment to geometry.

Steeda does have the Pro Action Fixed valve dampers if you want to go with those. They are a very good choice, but will push you beyond what you are looking to spend. They will ride a bit firmer than the PP dampers, as well. The BMR SP080s (or 089/082) were developed as a best match to the PP dampers. BMR does not have its own dampers but does work closely with Viking. Those are a bit more tailored to those who track their vehicles, both in terms of damping levels and the amount of adjustment available.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lowering a car reduces it's center of gravity, which improves handling by reducing roll, dive and squat. The front and rear are different amounts of lowering because 1) the geometry is much more negatively affected by lowering in the rear compared with the front. Roll center heights, camber gain and bump toe (i.e. rear steer) all change more than the front for comparable lowering, and 2) the stagger actually looks better to most people, as the wheel wells aren't exactly the same height to the tire, stock. Lowering a car minimally improves its handling without significant detriment to geometry.

Steeda does have the Pro Action Fixed valve dampers if you want to go with those. They are a very good choice, but will push you beyond what you are looking to spend. They will ride a bit firmer than the PP dampers, as well. The BMR SP080s (or 089/082) were developed as a best match to the PP dampers. BMR does not have its own dampers but does work closely with Viking. Those are a bit more tailored to those who track their vehicles, both in terms of damping levels and the amount of adjustment available.
Thanks. Yeah know about center of gravity ofc, but was wondering if its the new springs quality/structure that are contributing to a better suspension vs lower center of gravity. like improved suspension due to 80% spring quality and 20% by lowering it.

I'm in canada, would I be better off trying to find the pp dampers and ford racing stuff up here?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Yeah know about center of gravity ofc, but was wondering if its the new springs quality/structure that are contributing to a better suspension vs lower center of gravity. like improved suspension due to 80% spring quality and 20% by lowering it.

I'm in canada, would I be better off trying to find the pp dampers and ford racing stuff up here?
Yes there's definitely some percentage that's the quality of the spring (rate linearity throughout the range, matching rates L and R), though not the majority of the change for sure.

If you can find them in Canada that would be a good bet in terms of costs, probably. If you need help on part numbers let me know :)

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes there's definitely some percentage that's the quality of the spring (rate linearity throughout the range, matching rates L and R), though not the majority of the change for sure.

If you can find them in Canada that would be a good bet in terms of costs, probably. If you need help on part numbers let me know :)
I got a quote from a dealer here for the FR tower/cowl brace. $330 CDN. Will probably buy from US as even with exchange rate it's still cheaper. They're on ebay and americanmuscle for $180USD.

I've posted a topic in the levvittown forum for a quote on the pp dampers and the FR tower/cowl brace. But if you have a part number for the pp dampers that would help! Does anyone else sell them aside from ford directly like american muscle sells the strut-brace?

I was also searching and came upon this thread which you had been a part in! http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64366&highlight=cowl&page=2

Should I try to get that other piece they were talking about?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I got a quote from a dealer here for the FR tower/cowl brace. $330 CDN. Will probably buy from US as even with exchange rate it's still cheaper. They're on ebay and americanmuscle for $180USD.

I've posted a topic in the levvittown forum for a quote on the pp dampers and the FR tower/cowl brace. But if you have a part number for the pp dampers that would help! Does anyone else sell them aside from ford directly like american muscle sells the strut-brace?

I was also searching and came upon this thread which you had been a part in! http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64366&highlight=cowl&page=2

Should I try to get that other piece they were talking about?
It certainly won't hurt to get that at all. I didn't though. I didn't feel like taking the cowl cover and wipers off my brand new car lol.

FR3Z-18125-W - PP rear shock
FR3Z-18124-AB - PP front strut

You'll also want to get new strut to knuckle bolts and nuts:
-W715932-S439 / Strut Lower Bolt
-W520517-S450 / Strut Nut

Sponsored
OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry what are those bolts and nuts for. Wouldn't the FP towel/cowl brace come with those?

And just to clarify, this is the thing everyone is telling me to get right? https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-strut-brace-2015gt.html#product_pics-7

Sorry I've probably used too many pronouns. You didn't get what in your first sentence? The extra piece [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] was looking for? You put in the FP Strut Tower & Cowl? Cowl and k-brace mean the same thing?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry what are those bolts and nuts for. Wouldn't the FP towel/cowl brace come with those?

And just to clarify, this is the thing everyone is telling me to get right? https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-strut-brace-2015gt.html#product_pics-7

Sorry I've probably used too many pronouns. You didn't get what in your first sentence? The extra piece [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] was looking for? You put in the FP Strut Tower & Cowl? Cowl and k-brace mean the same thing?
Yes that's the one to get in the link.

The extra part adds some stiffness between the front part of the cowl and rear of the cowl. I'm sure it does something for front end stiffness, else Ford wouldn't put it in the PP. The kit above in the link adds quite a bit of front end responsiveness all by itself and only 30 mins to install.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what are these? you're a life saver btw.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
And what are these? you're a life saver btw.

They're the nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you mean the nuts and bolts the tower/k-brace that come with it aren't that good? Shouldn't they come with it?

edit: been googling around. is it cause i'm non-pp? "Anyone have the part number of the nuts needed to mount the upper strut tower brace on the driver side? Non PP cars don't come with those two nuts." - would seem like an oversight on fords part! if so, how many of each part that you mentioned.
Sponsored

Last edited: