Sponsored

oil pan upgrade

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Already have the ATI balancer. I have no observed oil starve issues including at approx. 120 mph around the banks at Charlotte, but that is just going off of a gauge on the dash. Stickiest tire I've run is a Nitto NT01 305 square (including at Charlotte).

I really don't understand the difference between the Canton pumps, now that I'm looking.

Installing an oil cooler this month along with an actual oil temp gauge. Will do the same gauges for a diff and trans temp and plan to install a diff cooler. As for a transmission cooler - I guess for now I will drive in blissful ignorance but the BG fluid never comes out looking or smelling burnt. I change trans and diff every 4 track days, probably don't need to. So... I guess that's a good sign. Anyway, I digress...
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What is wrong with the stock racks and what alternatives are available?
Honestly I have no idea what their concern was other than weight and maybe concern about the electric power steering holding up to track duty. I can tell you that I drive my car fairly hard on track and I like to use the curbs. The steering so far has not been an issue for me other than it being a little numb feeling.

Dave

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
^^^ the steering really is numb isn't. Everyone complains about electric steering and I've never considered myself to be in the camp of "steering feel whiners" but it's really terrible on the S550. The rear end lacks feel too, even with CB005, heavier springs/shocks/swaybars etc. Anyway, now I'm going off topic.

The GT350 pan seems like a good option, I prefer to use OEM where I can if it's up to the task. However, I'm led to believe it cannot be used without the pick up and pump? In which case a simple 2 hour oil pan swap becomes a hefty labour bill. Correct?

I am running 295/35/18 square Yokohama A050 (r compound) and have repeated heavy braking zones at my track. I feel I should do the upgrade, maybe I just need to accept it.

Can anyone elaborate on the GT350 pan application?

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
In which case a simple 2 hour oil pan swap becomes a hefty labour bill. Correct?
I believe the pickup is integrated into the GT350 oil pan, so you would remove your stock pickup. And the oilpump is the same (besides the internal gears themselves) so you don't have to touch the pump.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I believe the pickup is integrated into the GT350 oil pan, so you would remove your stock pickup. And the oilpump is the same (besides the internal gears themselves) so you don't have to touch the pump.
Is this pan tried and true with r-compounds? GT350 comes with high performance summer tyres and cup 2s for the Rs but R compound is another level above. How does it differ to the stock pan with regards to slosh? trap doors?

Thanks

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is this pan tried and true with r-compounds? GT350 comes with high performance summer tyres and cup 2s for the Rs but R compound is another level above. How does it differ to the stock pan with regards to slosh? trap doors?

Thanks
As tried and true a piece can be on a car that's barely 2 years old and made in very limited production.

From what I read, and that's all I really have to go with, it's got better baffling and 2 more quarts of oil. Also remember that while the GT350 is not on R compounds, the engine does turn quite a bit more rpm than the Coyote, so take that into account when considering the capabilities of the pan.

I haven't seen any GT350 oiling issues with the stock PSS tires at 8250rpm. And while no R compounds they aren't exactly slouches in terms of grip. I imagine a Coyote only spinning 7500rpm will have more headroom for stickier tires.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
As tried and true a piece can be on a car that's barely 2 years old and made in very limited production.

From what I read, and that's all I really have to go with, it's got better baffling and 2 more quarts of oil. Also remember that while the GT350 is not on R compounds, the engine does turn quite a bit more rpm than the Coyote, so take that into account when considering the capabilities of the pan.

I haven't seen any GT350 oiling issues with the stock tires at 8250rpm, so a Coyote only spinning to say 7500rpm is going to be in better shape even with stickier tires.

It's all speculation of course as these cars are still pretty darn new, especially the GT350s.
That's a good point regarding the age of the cars. I'm sure there are lots of people out there running hoosiers and NT01s on their 350 and 350Rs. Maybe I should start a post in those forums. The idea of using a ford product that is marketed by ford as being compatible with the coyote sits better with me, should something unrelated go wrong with the driveline with regards to warranty. I wonder if there would be any issues using this type of system without the high flow oil pump that's mated with it? They are sold as a package afterall.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I wonder if there would be any issues using this type of system without the high flow oil pump that's mated with it? They are sold as a package afterall.
I don't think the Shelby oil pump is anymore "high pressure" than the Coyote one. They are all pretty much similar in pressure, with the Shelby gears made out of stronger material.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
It's marketed as "high output", but yes perhaps the coyote also has a "high output" pump. It seems odd that you can't buy the pan separately.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

Thanks
Ford said the bespoke Cup2 was comparable to the Hoosier R6, which is "another level above" an NT01.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Ford said the bespoke Cup2 was comparable to the Hoosier R6, which is "another level above" an NT01.
That may be the case. I haven't driven on cup 2 but have used NT01 which are just average. yoko A050 are in a different league - the best r-compound on the planet. Probably closer to R7

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think the "applications" there just lists the car that this particular part came on not what it will fit.

I personally talked to a FRP rep and they said it fits, plus there have been a few people actually installing them on GTs

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
That may be the case. I haven't driven on cup 2 but have used NT01 which are just average. yoko A050 are in a different league - the best r-compound on the planet. Probably closer to R7
You run 18s on your mustang? A050s don't come in 19s nor do we get them in the states. They're hardly an "R-Compound", but rather a super soft race compound poured into a street car mould -according to my friend who use to work at Yokohama Japan.
Sponsored