Sponsored

What's it going to sound like?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a base model GT and bought a subwoofer, box and amp. My amp is made to take speaker in or signal. I plan on splicing into the rear speakers and routing the wires to my amps speaker level inputs. Not sure what kind of prossesing the base model has, wondering if the sub will sound good or if I'll be missing out on some of the bass? Can someone give me a thumbs up that it will work fine.

I've never owned a car that had any type of factory system so it has always been easy enough to install amps and speakers. Just curious how this would affect my install of a sub since my car is just the basic 6 speaker base model.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I also have a base GT and to be brutally honest I cannot imagine just putting in a sub. The stock speakers are atrocious at best. Adding a sub will not replace all the missing information the base speakers are not sending your ears, especially in the mid and low mid range.

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
As said above I think you will end up replacing all your speakers and putting in a nice amp and dsp. Really looking forward to my gear getting installed.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have a base model GT and bought a subwoofer, box and amp. My amp is made to take speaker in or signal. I plan on splicing into the rear speakers and routing the wires to my amps speaker level inputs. Not sure what kind of prossesing the base model has, wondering if the sub will sound good or if I'll be missing out on some of the bass? Can someone give me a thumbs up that it will work fine.
If you could tell us the models of your sub & amp, we can give you a better idea...
If your amp does take both speaker and pre-amp level inputs, then it sounds like you are set and won't need to purchase an additional LOC.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, saw your replies but didnt' have the info for my sub and amp with me. Yep I have a feeling I will be re-doing the speakers down the road. Just baby steps figured I'd buy a mono amp and sub for now since I miss bass the most.

So the amp is a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D and the sub is a 10" Alpine SWS-10D4.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Thanks guys, saw your replies but didnt' have the info for my sub and amp with me. Yep I have a feeling I will be re-doing the speakers down the road. Just baby steps figured I'd buy a mono amp and sub for now since I miss bass the most.

So the amp is a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D and the sub is a 10" Alpine SWS-10D4.
As you mentioned, the R500X1D has speaker level inputs, to you can tap into the signal at your rear speakers. You'll need to wire the voice coils on the sub in parallel to connect to the amp as a 2 ohm load.

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So in this case you wouldn't be concerned with bass roll off from the factory head unit? On a side note, I dont think the factory speakers are horrible at all for what they are. The base system just needs some low end, OP may be pleasantly surprised. On my 2008 GT, I just added subs and an amp and I was fine with it for a few years. It wasnt a killer sound system but it was good enough that I enjoyed the music and wasn't haunted on a daily basis with thoughts and plans on replacing everything. It got the job done.

As you mentioned, the R500X1D has speaker level inputs, to you can tap into the signal at your rear speakers. You'll need to wire the voice coils on the sub in parallel to connect to the amp as a 2 ohm load.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
So in this case you wouldn't be concerned with bass roll off from the factory head unit? On a side note, I dont think the factory speakers are horrible at all for what they are. The base system just needs some low end, OP may be pleasantly surprised. On my 2008 GT, I just added subs and an amp and I was fine with it for a few years. It wasnt a killer sound system but it was good enough that I enjoyed the music and wasn't haunted on a daily basis with thoughts and plans on replacing everything. It got the job done.
I'll be honest, not sure what to make of the bass roll off... seem like there are many more folks that don't have it than do. Maybe it's specific to a model year, but unless there was something major wrong in the ACM, I can't see Ford making a MY change like that for the heck of it?