What's it going to sound like?

Discussion in 'Infotainment and Electronics (Nav, Audio, Video, Bluetooth)' started by Bartly, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Bartly

Bartly Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    #1 Bartly, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    I have a base model GT and bought a subwoofer, box and amp. My amp is made to take speaker in or signal. I plan on splicing into the rear speakers and routing the wires to my amps speaker level inputs. Not sure what kind of prossesing the base model has, wondering if the sub will sound good or if I'll be missing out on some of the bass? Can someone give me a thumbs up that it will work fine.

I've never owned a car that had any type of factory system so it has always been easy enough to install amps and speakers. Just curious how this would affect my install of a sub since my car is just the basic 6 speaker base model.

2. Rye

Rye Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP
    0   0   0
    I also have a base GT and to be brutally honest I cannot imagine just putting in a sub. The stock speakers are atrocious at best. Adding a sub will not replace all the missing information the base speakers are not sending your ears, especially in the mid and low mid range.

3. essque

essque Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
  4. thxultra

thxultra Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
    0   0   0
    As said above I think you will end up replacing all your speakers and putting in a nice amp and dsp. Really looking forward to my gear getting installed.

5. mumbles

mumbles Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Prem OW
    0   0   0
    If you could tell us the models of your sub & amp, we can give you a better idea...
    If your amp does take both speaker and pre-amp level inputs, then it sounds like you are set and won't need to purchase an additional LOC.

6. OP
    OP
    Bartly

Bartly Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys, saw your replies but didnt' have the info for my sub and amp with me. Yep I have a feeling I will be re-doing the speakers down the road. Just baby steps figured I'd buy a mono amp and sub for now since I miss bass the most.

So the amp is a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D and the sub is a 10" Alpine SWS-10D4.

7. mumbles

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Prem OW
    0   0   0
    As you mentioned, the R500X1D has speaker level inputs, to you can tap into the signal at your rear speakers. You'll need to wire the voice coils on the sub in parallel to connect to the amp as a 2 ohm load.

8. essque

essque Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    So in this case you wouldn't be concerned with bass roll off from the factory head unit? On a side note, I dont think the factory speakers are horrible at all for what they are. The base system just needs some low end, OP may be pleasantly surprised. On my 2008 GT, I just added subs and an amp and I was fine with it for a few years. It wasnt a killer sound system but it was good enough that I enjoyed the music and wasn't haunted on a daily basis with thoughts and plans on replacing everything. It got the job done.

9. mumbles

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Prem OW
    0   0   0
    I'll be honest, not sure what to make of the bass roll off... seem like there are many more folks that don't have it than do. Maybe it's specific to a model year, but unless there was something major wrong in the ACM, I can't see Ford making a MY change like that for the heck of it?

10. HextallS550

HextallS550 Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT
    Roush Engineering
    0   0   0
    They all have the roll off. Change the as built data and skip the LOC.