Sponsored

Crawled around in the back seat today

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So I've had my base gt for a year now but I've never been in the backseat. Well I had this weird noise pop up in the roof near the passenger window so I was crawling around the backseat to find it and I had to laugh at how cheap the back is

Seriously I had no idea (nor do I really care) but the entire side panels are just a cheap ass piece of plastic. And the seats hahaha they're terrible. It's a night and day experience from the front of the car.

Anyone else notice little oddities like this?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, the rear panels in a 64-68 were steel... Only in 65-66 if you had the Pony interior were the rear panels covered in vinyl.

This is an S550, not a hand made Rolls Royce... :)

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well, the rear panels in a 64-68 were steel... Only in 65-66 if you had the Pony interior were the rear panels covered in vinyl.

This is an S550, not a hand made Rolls Royce... :)
Haha I know and I bought this car mostly for the engine. I don't really care the quality is so low but I did find it somewhat funny.

Hey always nice to know the vinyl is an upgrade! Although a part of me would love a raw, exposed steel look

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
The plastic trim and covers in this car are really cheap when you start looking at it.

My C-Pillar trim cover that connects between the quarter window and the rear window actually busted from breaking clips/warping when my tint installer removed it to tint my rear window... really disappointing. :\ You'd think ford would actually make things a bit more sturdy. Now I'm left with a plastic panel that's flapping around in the back.

In every mustang I've owned (2001 and onward) I've noticed that everything is kind of loose/wiggles in general, as if the fit isn't 100%.

Then again, it's a performance car, so you're not exactly paying for perfection when it comes to aesthetics. Don't even get me started on the misaligned body panels on the exterior...

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What would you rather have? Heavy exspensive surface covers or light inexspensive plastic.

In the backseat area where adults cant really sit and its religated to kid duty. I dont need anything id be worries about.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Haha yeah thankfully it all pulls apart easily as well to find all the rattles. I had to gut whole back of the car because of all the plastic knocking against the metal frame.....

My c pillar clips are also broken as well haha. Such a tough piece to get in and out with foam stuffed in it.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
My girlfriend and I were just in the back seats of mine (no, not for that), to remove the seats to do a rear seat delete that we made ourselves, and I installed a fuel pump booster. The seats were pretty easy to remove. Nobody uses the seats anyway, and I like to tinker with stuff. And if anybody cares, the seats weighed about 31.5lbs, my seat delete weighs about 2lbs, so it shaved off 29.5lbs or so and cost me $50 to do. No real increase in exhaust sound, either.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Really, because I sat in the rear seats a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they were. I don't think much focus is going to be put into the rear of a 2 door coupe.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
They are for peeps you don't like...so I removed the rear seat backs for better sound from the sub and exhaust and more room for longer items. Added a trunk mesh to hold smaller items in place.
Oh, and in 1969 the panels were also plastic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I wish Ford sold it with a rear seat delete option with just carpet and a trunk block off. Would be popular I think, for sure I would have ordered it that way.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I wish Ford sold it with a rear seat delete option with just carpet and a trunk block off. Would be popular I think, for sure I would have ordered it that way.
You make an interesting point. Obviously Ford put the smallest amount of effort possible into the backseat (rightfully so). I mean the materials back there are found ONLY there. No where else in the car is there cheap, hard vinyl. So if youre putting so little effort into it, why not just not do it?

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Backseat is for babies and pets. Really painful to crawl back there and clean the
rear window