Sponsored

GT350 Intake Manifold Swap & Testing on JDM Engineering's 2015 Mustang GT Automatic

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
car is fixed. we capped off one of the valves behind the tb since we used gt pcv and the cap blew apart, but I didn't see it. bought a better fitting cap and secure with zip tie. I submitted my 93 flex fuel logs. I didn't go wot to redline cause it's a base map, but it's like -6.5 knock sooo much timing to add!
So massive vacuum leak it was.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
For $80, you get more than just an instructions sheet; there is hardware to help make the installation clean, it includes an EVAP extensions harness that is $30, and a coolant hose, and a full 20-page instructions manual. Since nobody decided to offer instructions, we did. No other shop gives instructions, and neither does Ford Racing when you order the manifold from them. We've sold over 30 of these kits, and most of them have just been people ordering them online, and everyone who has commented back has given really great feedback on the clarity of the directions and cleanliness of the install.

I will say for $80 it is good value!
People do forget about the EVAP extension which makes for an easier install and if your gonna use a GT 350 CAI then you also need that breather hose as well as the stock hose will not fit well if at all.

You guys suppled me a full Saleen super charger kit years ago and it ran great. I also went with you guys for a tune at $385, so big money and it ran buttery smooth on the stock intake. :)

But my biggest complaint about JDM came about when I got the PMAS CAI, first you said it was junk and refused to try and perfect my car on it, pretty lousy after paying $385, but fair enough, that is when I went over to Lund as I knew they had tuned several PMAS cars with success and they really got me dialled in on that setup and were super quick at checking logs and making tune updates and explaining the changes in detail.

Whereas JDM wrote a good tune but getting tunes looked at was slow and they seemed reluctant to want to tweak it, but I guess maybe they were busy.

I did contact JDM on buying the whole GT 350 kit, but it was close to $2000 shipped to UK, so when I got the kit direct from Ford for $1450 shipped they sent me a bit of a snotty email, I mean I meant no offence but as a customer of course I shall shop around. :)

I asked JDM about low down throttle response and they said though not perfect they are confident their tune is smoother and better than Lunds and ask if I would like to try it, so I of course said yes. :)

The next response was OK, that will be $385, I have not bothered replying, so I already got a tune from you for $385, so now to make an update its another $385 and judging from past tune you will be reluctant to make tweaks/updates if in general things look OK.

That is why Lund is doing so well, $200 and all they wanted for the manifold change was $50 and I am on my 3rd revision and they are willing to listen and work closely and get updates out real quick to try and get the car how I want it to drive. Whereas JDM was a bit more that is the tune, it will do.

I love JDM but man another $385, is that regular policy or is it just we are pissed because I shopped for parts elsewhere? If they'd have said $50 I'd have given it a try, could of probably stretched to $100 but another full $385 when I already paid for a tune from you already. :(

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
I will say for $80 it is good value!
People do forget about the EVAP extension which makes for an easier install and if your gonna use a GT 350 CAI then you also need that breather hose as well as the stock hose will not fit well if at all.

You guys suppled me a full Saleen super charger kit years ago and it ran great. I also went with you guys for a tune at $385, so big money and it ran buttery smooth on the stock intake. :)

But my biggest complaint about JDM came about when I got the PMAS CAI, first you said it was junk and refused to try and perfect my car on it, pretty lousy after paying $385, but fair enough, that is when I went over to Lund as I knew they had tuned several PMAS cars with success and they really got me dialled in on that setup and were super quick at checking logs and making tune updates and explaining the changes in detail.

Whereas JDM wrote a good tune but getting tunes looked at was slow and they seemed reluctant to want to tweak it, but I guess maybe they were busy.

I did contact JDM on buying the whole GT 350 kit, but it was close to $2000 shipped to UK, so when I got the kit direct from Ford for $1450 shipped they sent me a bit of a snotty email, I mean I meant no offence but as a customer of course I shall shop around. :)

I asked JDM about low down throttle response and they said though not perfect they are confident their tune is smoother and better than Lunds and ask if I would like to try it, so I of course said yes. :)

The next response was OK, that will be $385, I have not bothered replying, so I already got a tune from you for $385, so now to make an update its another $385 and judging from past tune you will be reluctant to make tweaks/updates if in general things look OK.

That is why Lund is doing so well, $200 and all they wanted for the manifold change was $50 and I am on my 3rd revision and they are willing to listen and work closely and get updates out real quick to try and get the car how I want it to drive. Whereas JDM was a bit more that is the tune, it will do.

I love JDM but man another $385, is that regular policy or is it just we are pissed because I shopped for parts elsewhere? If they'd have said $50 I'd have given it a try, could of probably stretched to $100 but another full $385 when I already paid for a tune from you already. :(

You purchased parts from another company that require not just an adjustment but an entirely new tune. After you asked me to quote you for these parts and Shipping was the factor because your in the UK and you decided to go elsewhere. We have no problem with that, however because you aren't happy with the current Lund tune you contacted us and asked me to give you a GT350 tune. If you or any customer made a gear change or needed a tweak,something small we would happily make the change at no charge. The GT350 manifold requires an entirely new tune file. We do appreciate our customers and had you asked me for a discount rather than making a big post we would have figured something out.

Our first tune for the stock manifold you loved, raved about how much you liked you. You datalogged it and we reviewed the logs. Everything looked great it did not need adjustments. Then you swapped out the air kit to the PMAS which we have never worked with and were conserned it could change the MAF curve. It appeared to change the fueling slightly but because we had no prior experience with the PMAS product we did not want to make adjustments on a customers car half way across the world. Besides it really didn't require any changes. We prefer to test new products in house on our dyno before we go sending our customers tune files. We've had problems with PMAS products in the past and changing the electronics for the MAF does bother us.

We are always open to working with and making changes to our tune but when the customer changes a part, especially one we do not use or have experience with we really can not help unless the car is on sight.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You purchased parts from another company that require not just an adjustment but an entirely new tune. After you asked me to quote you for these parts and Shipping was the factor because your in the UK and you decided to go elsewhere. We have no problem with that, however because you aren't happy with the current Lund tune you contacted us and asked me to give you a GT350 tune. If you or any customer made a gear change or needed a tweak,something small we would happily make the change at no charge. The GT350 manifold requires an entirely new tune file. We do appreciate our customers and had you asked me for a discount rather than making a big post we would have figured something out.

Our first tune for the stock manifold you loved, raved about how much you liked you. You datalogged it and we reviewed the logs. Everything looked great it did not need adjustments. Then you swapped out the air kit to the PMAS which we have never worked with and were conserned it could change the MAF curve. It appeared to change the fueling slightly but because we had no prior experience with the PMAS product we did not want to make adjustments on a customers car half way across the world. Besides it really didn't require any changes. We prefer to test new products in house on our dyno before we go sending our customers tune files. We've had problems with PMAS products in the past and changing the electronics for the MAF does bother us.

We are always open to working with and making changes to our tune but when the customer changes a part, especially one we do not use or have experience with we really can not help unless the car is on sight.

Jim

I have replied to your email.

Your price was close to $2000 shipped and you said regarding tuning you would working something out making it rather unclear if by that you meant a free update a reduced price. As such over $600 is a lot of money, works out even more so when landed here in UK due to tax man.

You have your views on PMAS and that is fair enough, I completely agree that the quality is not great but it got the job done. My issue was and you said it yourself the tune looked OK and as it was OK you were un-interested in trying to get it spot on on the basis you had not seen one before, also fair enough but at the same time making some slight tweaks to try and perfect things will not damage the car it just takes someone your side some time and maybe I miss-understood but it just seemed like you did not have the time to want to get things spot on, maybe it was a bad time or you just really dislike PMAS. But as someone who had paid $385 to be told the CAI was junk and as such unwilling to tweak it just seemed well harsh and not expected considering the price I paid for a tune.

So I went with Lund as they knew the PMAS and they got it spot on and were willing to make several tune adjustments to get it there, I never felt un-wanted by them or like anything was too much work and they turned things around fast whereas with you guys it took several days, infact over a week to get me my tune to me, fair enough Sr. was out who writes the tunes but again a long wait when the price is rather high.

I understand its a new file, but you make it sound like its written from ground up which is not the case, take the file, make the necessary tweaks for each customers cars minor tweaks/specs and this is why Lund are not charging the full amount of $200 again and a $50 premium.

But anyway fair enough, Lund are still working on it for me and with each update they send it seems to be smoothing out. :)

My issue is if I knew 100% your tune would make the car silky smooth I would pay the $385, AGAIN, but simple fact is there is no guarantee you said yourself lower RPM is not as precise/smooth on this setup due to obvious physics (slower air velocity) at low RPM.

So I could spend $385 and be no better off and $385 is not exactly small money.

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
Jim

Your price was close to $2000 shipped and you said regarding tuning you would working something out making it rather unclear if by that you meant a free update a reduced price. As such over $600 is a lot of money, works out even more so when landed here in UK due to tax man.

You have your views on PMAS and that is fair enough, I completely agree that the quality is not great but it got the job done. My issue was and you said it yourself the tune looked OK and as it was OK you were un-interested in trying to get it spot on on the basis you had not seen one before, also fair enough but at the same time making some slight tweaks to try and perfect things will not damage the car it just takes someone your side some time and maybe I miss-understood but it just seemed like you did not have the time to want to get things spot on, maybe it was a bad time or you just really dislike PMAS. But as someone who had paid $385 to be told the CAI was junk and as such unwilling to tweak it just seemed well harsh and not expected considering the price I paid for a tune.

So I went with Lund as they knew the PMAS and they got it spot on and were willing to make several tune adjustments to get it there, I never felt un-wanted by them or like anything was too much work and they turned things around fast whereas with you guys it took several days, infact over a week to get me my tune to me, fair enough Sr. was out who writes the tunes but again a long wait when the price is rather high.

I understand its a new file, but you make it sound like its written from ground up which is not the case, take the file, make the necessary tweaks for each customers cars minor tweaks/specs and this is why Lund are not charging the full amount of $200 again and a $50 premium.

But anyway fair enough, Lund are still working on it for me and with each update they send it seems to be smoothing out. :)

My issue is if I knew 100% your tune would make the car silky smooth I would pay the $385, AGAIN, but simple fact is there is no guarantee you said yourself lower RPM is not as precise/smooth on this setup due to obvious physics (slower air velocity) at low RPM.

You found the right place , JONII does a great job on the tune and customer service !

Sponsored

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
Jim

Shipping to the UK was nearly $500, as I said I would have worked it out for you on the tune and would have gotten it free of charge or a minimal fee after purchasing the entire kit with us. Every car is case scenario, is it just the manifold your changing? maybe headers too? or there is another tune request you want to make at the same time. So with a returning customer, after the order is complete I go to Jim Sr. and see what needs to be done with the tune and cost is determined then.

You purchased the original tune under the pretense that you had a stock airbox. After installing the tune and running it you decided to change the air box, there for changing our tune. Yes the logs looked OK or Good actually they looked pretty damn good. I said your air fuel was about .2-.3 tenths of an air fuel point Rich which could be from the different MAF on the PMAS and with out testing one we couldn't be sure and didn't want to take fuel out and lean it out too much. So as I said it was OK and needed NO adjustment.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Lund Racing, we've had plenty of our own customers say the same about us and had you needed that much attention we would have taken care of it. Knowing we have had many customers switch from other brand tunes to ours and rave about how much betters ours is I know it will be better than what you currently have. If you do not want to find out yourself for what I quoted you then I can't argue about it.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shipping to the UK was nearly $500, as I said I would have worked it out for you on the tune and would have gotten it free of charge or a minimal fee after purchasing the entire kit with us. Every car is case scenario, is it just the manifold your changing? maybe headers too? or there is another tune request you want to make at the same time. So with a returning customer, after the order is complete I go to Jim Sr. and see what needs to be done with the tune and cost is determined then.

You purchased the original tune under the pretense that you had a stock airbox. After installing the tune and running it you decided to change the air box, there for changing our tune. Yes the logs looked OK or Good actually they looked pretty damn good. I said your air fuel was about .2-.3 tenths of an air fuel point Rich which could be from the different MAF on the PMAS and with out testing one we couldn't be sure and didn't want to take fuel out and lean it out too much. So as I said it was OK and needed NO adjustment.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Lund Racing, we've had plenty of our own customers say the same about us and had you needed that much attention we would have taken care of it. Knowing we have had many customers switch from other brand tunes to ours and rave about how much betters ours is I know it will be better than what you currently have. If you do not want to find out yourself for what I quoted you then I can't argue about it.

The shipping was where you lost out mainly, Ford direct were able to ship it for under $200 and of course I realise shipping is out of your control and a company like Ford no doubt gets preferential rates.

You emailed me this week as you obviously read my post here, so you will see I have being a big supporter of JDM and recommended you guys frequently and you emailed me and said you were confident your tune will be better and asked if I would like to try it.

I responded yes to that, to then get a reply back, OK $385 please, needless to say considering I had already paid $385 I was shocked that you wanted the same again from a customer who has spent thousands of dollars with you, but your business decisions are yours.

Do I think your tune will be better? I think it would be simply because you have done this setup in house on several cars but in email you yourself said cold start and low RPM on this setup does have some issues.

As said in email check with Sr. see what he says, because though the car pulls like a train on the Lund tune and drives superb up top and is pretty good when warm, its just annoying when cold and as I drive it as a daily it would be nice if it drove smooth both cold, warm and hot 365 days per year.

We could post replies to each other here all day long, all I am interested in is getting my car to not only pull and cause passengers whiplash because its making crazy power which it does right now, but also to drive nice and smooth in the city when commuting, if you guys can do that, I will pay $385 again, might not feel particular happy about it but that is life, if Sr. agrees to do a deal for being a long standing customer then hey even better and I can carry on beating the JDM drum. :)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

I think you guys put out a really good service but you can't claim it without multiple conducted test to prove it. All tuners claim they are the best. The only way it can really be proved is by a 3rd party unbiased person with an average of 3 pulls on each tune. Ive seen people switch from your tunes to lund and run faster in very similar DA. You really dont have proof. If anyone wanted to jump over to the 1/4 gt fast list all the top fastest cars are running lund or ken bjonnes and the fastest by JPC. i see none of the other tuned cars doing well typically. To a lot of people, results talk. So far all i see is a bold claim. I mean no disrespect but thats how many would see it.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
I think you guys put out a really good service but you can't claim it without multiple conducted test to prove it. All tuners claim they are the best. The only way it can really be proved is by a 3rd party unbiased person with an average of 3 pulls on each tune. Ive seen people switch from your tunes to lund and run faster in very similar DA. You really dont have proof. If anyone wanted to jump over to the 1/4 gt fast list all the top fastest cars are running lund or ken bjonnes and the fastest by JPC. i see none of the other tuned cars doing well typically. To a lot of people, results talk. So far all i see is a bold claim. I mean no disrespect but thats how many would see it.
My claim is based off what I've been told from my customers, that's all I stated. I did not say ours was the best or made the most power or was the fastest. Just as the fastest cars out there that you mentioned doesn't mean they have the best driveability for a customers street car. Those are race cars. We have some Race cars too! and for the Record JDM owns the record for fastest NA Coyote Engine period. Not JPC, not Lund, Not Ken B,....those guys are chasing us!

9.45@142

Video of a 9.48 but same car
[ame]

Our 2016 Cobra Jet as well, it's stock right now but after we tuned it the car went from 8.8's to consistent 8.5's. Look out for 7's when we build the motor this year!

[ame]

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
My claim is based off what I've been told from my customers, that's all I stated. I did not say ours was the best or made the most power or was the fastest. Just as the fastest cars out there that you mentioned doesn't mean they have the best driveability for a customers street car. Those are race cars. And for the Record JDM owns the record for fastest NA Coyote Engine period. Not JPC, not Lund, Not Ken B,....those guys are chasing us!

9.45@142

Vidoe of a 9.48 but same car
https://www.facebook.com/teamjdm/
I disagree. All the top na guys currently are not race cars on this forum. Best drivability is not what i saw you claim. I dont think jpc is chasing you down for the fastest NA coyote i dont think they really care about NA record chasing. From my understanding they made 9s on the s197 and quit NA playing. Mo makki's single turbo s550 gt is tipping over 4000lbs and runs 8.0s. Thats hardly a race car when it has full interior, ac, heated seats etc. I also know of your reputation with fords ive been around the nhra and nmra for a long time. You folks do great stuff, i like you guys. Understand im not knocking you but when you make a statement like that it needs proof with it, not just words. Id say the same to lund if he posted here and made a comment like that. The s550 fast list was an example of results that matter to some.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Id also like to point out thats an NA cj coyote not a standard coyote chassis like Jpc used for their own NA passes. It is a bit different in my opinion when their car had a vin and yours didnt.

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
I disagree. All the top na guys currently are not race cars on this forum. Best drivability is not what i saw you claim. I dont think jpc is chasing you down for the fastest NA coyote i dont think they really care about NA record chasing. From my understanding they made 9s on the s197 and quit. Mo makki's single turbo s550 gt is tipping over 4000lbs and runs 8.0s. Thats hardly a race car when it has full interior, ac, heated seats etc. I also know of your reputation with fords ive been around the nhra and nmra for a long time. You folks do great stuff, i like you guys. Understand im not knocking you but when you make a statement like that it needs proof with it, not just words. The s550 fast list was an example of results that matter to some.
Don's car has the record, no one is fastest NA. It's hard to make power NA and more impressive in my book because we don't have a big ole turbo hanging off the motor. I'm well aware of all the cars out there and what everyone is doing. Everyone has a different combination and it's comparing apples to oranges. My claim is verbal there is no way to test or prove. It's an opinion. But when I've had as many people contact me and say our tune feels better, or runs better, or shifts better, or does whatever better then their last tuner I feel confident in saying that to anyone who asks about our tunes.

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
Id also like to point out thats an NA cj coyote not a standard coyote chassis like Jpc used for their own NA passes. It is a bit different in my opinion when their car had a vin and yours didnt.
Chassis are the same, S197, our car is heavier than most of theirs as well at 3200lbs. Most of the fastest NA coyote times are in Fox bodies. Ours is a true S197 chassis car. Vin Shmin:D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

OK Lund sent me another update, they made some drive by wire alterations so I loaded that on the car and took it for a test drive.

Though it was not stone cold, it did feel better from cold and once warm is also improved, its still not stock GT CAI and JDM smooth but its a big improvement. So an improvement for sure, will be interesting to see how it feels from stone cold but the easiest way for to tell is to say change gear and when letting clutch out and pressing the accelerator if I just press it down say 1/2" as you normally would in steady state driving or gentle acceleration you can feel it almost jump, though now it is very minor, if you instead press the accelerator like there is an egg under it it is fine or if you give it plenty of throttle fine.

Let me try to explain it but its hard

- Gently press throttle like an egg under pedal or accelerate hard after gear change it is fine.
- Just get back on the throttle to the position your foot left it in an instant after gear change so maintain speed or slow acceleration the car feels jumpy or like that press of the pedal caused a spike in throttle command for a split second and then it instantly settled. On this latest revision it is now very minor and only noticeable in 1st and 2nd really, might improve further with some key cycles.
- Or drive in 2nd gear maintaining speed so say throttle pedal pressed about 1-2cm down, take foot off pedal and then instantly put foot back on pedal in same position or slightly more, car does a little kangaroo or buck as if I was tapping my foot on accelerator, it sounds way worse than it is when typing about it, because it is now very minor but even so its still a touch annoying.

At least now driving the car slowly or in the city is not upsetting me and I am not kangarooing like a learner driver, so improved for sure and car still is silly quick but Lund said the only change was to drive by wire. :)

[MENTION=10508]JimIII@JDM[/MENTION] as your so confident your tune will be better for daily driving which is what I want why don't you just take a file from car with similar spec to mine, GT 350 CAI, 350 TB, 350 IM, 3.55 M6, Octane 93 and just send me that tune with say a 6000rpm limiter?

That way I can test the low down throttle and drive ability, then if it really is better I will pay you the full $385 or whatever price your asking to give me the full 7800rpm limiter and of course you can then tweak and datalog so my car makes the most power possible safely.

That way if it does nothing, I am not out of pocket and your tune is useless to me due to the 6000rpm limit, but on the flip side if it is as you say and your tune is better, I will love it, post here how great it is and pay you to have the full 7800rpm and to get it dialled in. :)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Don's car has the record, no one is fastest NA. It's hard to make power NA and more impressive in my book because we don't have a big ole turbo hanging off the motor. I'm well aware of all the cars out there and what everyone is doing. Everyone has a different combination and it's comparing apples to oranges. My claim is verbal there is no way to test or prove. It's an opinion. But when I've had as many people contact me and say our tune feels better, or runs better, or shifts better, or does whatever better then their last tuner I feel confident in saying that to anyone who asks about our tunes.
im glad youve made it clear that is opinion based. As i aid i do like you guys. Id have asked the same of any place. I hope i didnt come across as it was busting balls. Id have been interested in a tune from you folks had you not only done in person tuning for one off or uncommon set ups.

Chassis are the same, S197, our car is heavier than most of theirs as well at 3200lbs. Most of the fastest NA coyote times are in Fox bodies. Ours is a true S197 chassis car. Vin Shmin:D
That record is in a cobja jet theirs was in just a standard gt. Car with vin number vs no vin number isnt really the same. :shrug: At any rate :cheers: i hope you folks enjoy a nice beer when you guys get off.
Sponsored