Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never understand people that buy cars like a gt350 and put snow tires on it. And before you all kick me for saying that. Yes I live in Michigan.
I prefer to drive it year round as opposed to store it for the winter and only drive it 6-7 months/year. :shrug:
Sponsored

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Regarding winter driving, I wonder if there's a meaningful amount of additional stress on the oil pump or any of the oiling system due to the colder ambient temps keeping the oil temperature from getting warm enough for the pressure to drop some. I noticed this past weekend when it was 45-60 ambient, under normal driving my oil temperature was low 180's (F). As such, my oil pressure while cruising was near 100 PSI, similar to where it is at idle after a cold start. I've noticed on warmer days, especially when it's safer to run the car harder, my oil pressure while cruising would be 50-75 PSI with the oil temp > 190F.

If I lived in an area that had harsher winters, I'd probably put snow tires on mine and drive it too. However, after having my oil pump fail in my original engine, I'm a bit worried about daily driving my car, especially on my typical short trips, this winter here in north Texas.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Well yesterday actually I got my first oil change at my neighborhood Ford dealer. They also did a full inspection and in the process they could smell gasoline (I can't). Closer inspection by the service manager discovered a fuel injector with a small leak or weap. Holly cow, if left undiscovered longer, the car might have gotten barbecued. So initial plan was to pull the injector rail and replace all eight o-rings. Well turns out the Ford recommendation is to replace all the injectors as the o-ring by itself is not serviced. Its all on warranty. Im happy.

Anyways, you might consider inspecting the injectors for external leakage every once in a while.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Regarding winter driving, I wonder if there's a meaningful amount of additional stress on the oil pump or any of the oiling system due to the colder ambient temps keeping the oil temperature from getting warm enough for the pressure to drop some. I noticed this past weekend when it was 45-60 ambient, under normal driving my oil temperature was low 180's (F). As such, my oil pressure while cruising was near 100 PSI, similar to where it is at idle after a cold start. I've noticed on warmer days, especially when it's safer to run the car harder, my oil pressure while cruising would be 50-75 PSI with the oil temp > 190F.

If I lived in an area that had harsher winters, I'd probably put snow tires on mine and drive it too. However, after having my oil pump fail in my original engine, I'm a bit worried about daily driving my car, especially on my typical short trips, this winter here in north Texas.
I think you had bad luck. In cold climates it would be wiser though to let the engine warm up before you hit the freeway. That will put less stress on the oil filter housing too.

I have not researched how the engine oil cooler is plumbed, but normal engine oil cooler equipped card would have a thermostatically controlled cooler bypass valve. I would also suspect like all engine I have worked on over the years ave a pump relief valve that bypass's some of the oil when the engine is cold and or oil pressure is high.

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Well yesterday actually I got my first oil change at my neighborhood Ford dealer. They also did a full inspection and in the process they could smell gasoline (I can't). Closer inspection by the service manager discovered a fuel injector with a small leak or weap. Holly cow, if left undiscovered longer, the car might have gotten barbecued. So initial plan was to pull the injector rail and replace all eight o-rings. Well turns out the Ford recommendation is to replace all the injectors as the o-ring by itself is not serviced. Its all on warranty. Im happy.

Anyways, you might consider inspecting the injectors for external leakage every once in a while.
Kudos to your Ford dealer. See everyone, they aren't all bad people.

tomcatv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Actually yesterday and today. Due to a perfect storm of circumstances, I drove it in the (pouring down) rain for the first time. Put it in weather mode and ventured on my merry way. I have lots of cleaning to do this weekend though.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I think you had bad luck. In cold climates it would be wiser though to let the engine warm up before you hit the freeway. That will put less stress on the oil filter housing too.

I have not researched how the engine oil cooler is plumbed, but normal engine oil cooler equipped card would have a thermostatically controlled cooler bypass valve. I would also suspect like all engine I have worked on over the years ave a pump relief valve that bypass's some of the oil when the engine is cold and or oil pressure is high.
All I can report is that driving in 45-55 ambient weather on back roads between 45-75 mph, my engine oil temp was reported in the 180F range. This is throughout 3 hours of driving. Most of the twisty county highways I were on had 55 mph speed limit and I was in the 3000-4500 rpm range. I was out just enjoying the day, not trying to push the tires too hard. I did do some higher rev, full throttle straight line accel and saw temps get up to 195 at one point. In fact I learned that our car has an 8,000 rpm redline when the oil temp is below 190F.

This being said, if the engine oil system is thermostatically controlled, it's definitely not tuned for ambient temps below 60F. Then again, even the MPSS tires aren't "tuned" for that either. Though I will say, I was impressed with the grip I had under load through corners.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
Brought it home! No detail, No gas, All plastic in tact " I took some off to drive home " Only splitter installed!

1756-MMS-1480518167000-attachment1-1130160958c_zps6ujksvvr.jpg

20161130_120823_zpsevznpeik.jpg

20161130_103913_zpss2rlwirl.jpg

20161130_175747_zpsdjiofm5l.jpg

20161130_175924_zpsj6cood6m.jpg

Yes they spelled Shelby wrong... The lot porters there aren't the brightest! But at least they didn't get to drive it :paddle: We spent a little time shooting the shit with the owner of the dealership since we know him pretty well, so there was 2 people that drove it! The truck driver and my salesman :headbang:

20161130_190652_zpsyvfhzuc8.jpg

Tucked away until I can detail it tomorrow! Need to clean up the garage a little more... It's a bit wider than the '15 GT I had before!

20161130_190430_zpsmnckchiq.jpg

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
How about redlining in 4th in sunny 78 degrees? Windows down.
Sponsored