Sponsored

BG ULTRA-GUARD LS 75W-90 REAR AXLE LUBE - Anyone tried one?

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
So I am planning on doing the BG gear oil swap and noticed on Optimum performance website they offered the rear axle oil as well. One of the benefits of using them was smoother and quieter gear operation. I am trying to get rid of the noise generating from shifter and was wondering how much does the rear axle lube help on that? I am not a track racer, and enjoys ocassional pulls, so it might not be worth $$ to do the swap. Also considering the fact that car only has 800 miles... ha!

Any thoughts or experiences?

http://www.opmustang.com/store/p66/BG_ULTRA-GUARD_LS_75W-90_REAR_AXLE_LUBE_QUART.html
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
The BG Ultra guard LS I believe has the limited slip additive already in it so you don't needs to buy and add it separate. It is great stuff, I am running it right now. Its not going to make transmission noises or vibration go away but it is great protection for the rear. Can't do better! BTW, I changed my trans and rear fluid at about 5k miles. Lol

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Just changed my rear end fluid to NANO Pro MT's 75W90 gear oil I got at AutoZone, and 4oz Ford/Motorcraft LSD Additive ($8 at my dealership). I'm very happy with the quiet operation and I'm only 1 tank into it and it seems like my MPGs went up a bit. I need to go through more tanks to get a better idea.

NANO Pro MT comes highly regarded by a few guys I know in the professional racing community. Apparently it's been run by some NASCAR Sprint Cup Teams and some road race teams in addition to the development they've done with the Military.

I've also tried their Penetrating Oil (which smells like Tootsie Rolls) and it is WAY better than PB Blaster for getting rusty exhaust bolts loose. The company seems like the real deal.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have had experiece withBG, I'll research Nano Pro. Anyone know the capacity of the rear end with 3.55:1 gear for re-fill? For a 2016 GT?

Last edited:

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I have had experiece withBG, I'll research Nano Pro. Anyone know the capacity of the rear end with 3.55:1 gear for re-fill? For a 2016 GT?
According to the shop manual (p. 3171), a 2016 GT requires 1.5 Liters of gear oil. That has been my experience with my 2016 GT as well. Before 2015, the diff took a lot more fluid.

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
In anticipation of a track day next weekend (Summit Point), I decided it was well past time to change the differential fluid.
Checked the owners manual for the capacity (1.5L), bought the appropriate fluid which came in 1L bottles, so, I bought two.
Drained the fluid. Replaced the plug and proceeded to get both bottles into the diff without a drop coming out of the fill hole.
Have I just over filled my diff? Is it under filled since nothing come out of the fill hole?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Drive that pony to a lube shop & listen for gear whining on the way, have the reputable shop check your fill.

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
In anticipation of a track day next weekend (Summit Point), I decided it was well past time to change the differential fluid.
Checked the owners manual for the capacity (1.5L), bought the appropriate fluid which came in 1L bottles, so, I bought two.
Drained the fluid. Replaced the plug and proceeded to get both bottles into the diff without a drop coming out of the fill hole.
Have I just over filled my diff? Is it under filled since nothing come out of the fill hole?
My 2016 GT (not PP) took *2 quarts to have oil start to come out of the fill hole. It probably took 1.95 quarts. I would buy another quart and pump it in until you start to see it come out of the fill hole.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
My 2016 GT (not PP) took 3 quarts to have oil start to come out of the fill hole. It probably took 2.95 quarts. I would buy another quart and pump it in until you start to see it come out of the fill hole.

You filled your rear axle with 3qt's?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
From Ford Service:
1. Fill the differential with 1.50 L (3.18 pts) of clean differential gear lubricant.
2. Fill the differential with 4.0 oz (0.118 L) of clean friction modifier.
3. NOTE: The differential gear lubricant level should be within 9mm (0.354 in.) from the fluid level fill plug
opening.

Our fluid already has the additive so it should take less than 2qts. We provide the dipstick to confirm proper fill level. You can fill to the fill hole but think it may be too much when hot and cause seal leaks or oil coming from the vent. Likely not the end of the world but we have had success following Ford's level recommendations.

Again this all assumes a level surface. If you jack up the rear of the car only you will never have an accurate level and likely could install 3+qts. If you checked it while level I am fairly confident a lot of fluid will pour out of the fill plug :)
Level Check.jpg

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Im very happy with BG from Optimum performance in the tranny and diff.