Sponsored

Rumormill: Next gen coyote will be twin turbo 4.0L.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Word in the grapevine is that the next gen Ford V8 (replacing the coyote) is in fact going to be a twin turbo V8 displacing roughly 4 liters. Furthermore, except for special editions, there will be no naturally aspirated engines offered.

The only possible diversion from this path would require serious relaxations of current CAFE regulations, likely pending on the results of this years election.
Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I will keep my 5.0 for obvious reasons. I have no interest
in a hair blower engine

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Word in the grapevine is that the next gen Ford V8 (replacing the coyote) is in fact going to be a twin turbo V8 displacing roughly 4 liters. Furthermore, except for special editions, there will be no naturally aspirated engines offered.

The only possible diversion from this path would require serious relaxations of current CAFE regulations, likely pending on the results of this years election.
Whilst, despite my username (!), I prefer a n/a engine, I'd welcome a twin turbo V8........ideally a 4.7 though, so it can be a 289ci ;)

Now, without putting you on the line, is that grapevine actually inside (second/third hand info) or is it just wishful thinking?

:)

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Whilst, despite my username (!), I prefer a n/a engine, I'd welcome a twin turbo V8........ideally a 4.7 though, so it can be a 289ci ;)

Now, without putting you on the line, is that grapevine actually inside (second/third hand info) or is it just wishful thinking?

:)
Same guy who told me about the voodoo in 2011.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, lets hope he's right :)

Either way, I hope there will be a V8 option of some description for a long time yet.....certainly for the duration of S650.

An Ecoboost 6 (2.7) certainly has a place in the line up, as does the current Ecoboost 4.....topping the line up with a 4.* Ecoboost V8 would be perfect :)

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
As long as it's a V8 I don't care if it's naturally aspirated, single turboed, twin turboed, supercharged, plug-n-play, or runs on natural gas. Just give me a V8 and I'll be happy.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The 2018 Ford GT is already being tested with the 3.5 twin turbo. They were
ticketed in CO for speeding

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Thank god I got my first Mustang when I did with the 5l V8.

Biggdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I wouldnt rule it out on sound immediately. Granted Ford doesnt exactly have a reputation with building a good sounding turboed engine (Ford GT aside, as I have not heard one in person and dont put much weight on video sound). The new 4.0 in the C63S AMG sounds amazing. I think there is potential if Ford focuses on sound. The power and torque potential is amazing.

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
If this is in fact true, it wI'll definitely be a game-changer. The ability to mod/increase the power level on this particular platform would be endless.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
If its not a 5.0 block then its wont be a coyote, it should have a new name and 289 would be a good start it would sound wicked with exhaust.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Well, lets hope he's right :)

Either way, I hope there will be a V8 option of some description for a long time yet.....certainly for the duration of S650.

An Ecoboost 6 (2.7) certainly has a place in the line up, as does the current Ecoboost 4.....topping the line up with a 4.* Ecoboost V8 would be perfect :)
My understanding is that 4 liters is the upper limit, and only for marketing value.

If this is in fact the case, then it would make sense for Ford to offer the 2.7EB as a option and perhaps a 1.8EB standard for rentals, secretaries, and college cars.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Nothing wrong with that. Turbo motors are more easily tunable, for more HP/TQ, and get better MPGs.

Sadly, it wont feel like an old-school turbo, which was actually a great sensation; a bit of lag, and then whooooooooosh and you were off like a rocket. Modern turbos (evidently) are torque monsters that run out of steam in the upper RPM range.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
:cheers::lol:i hope this crap isnt true.just re make the 5.0,get the bugs out of the 5.2,and destroy the comp.!!
Sponsored