Sponsored

Dash cam Power

vikz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Picked up my new mustang today (will make a separate thread with pics/review).
I've tried to set up my dash cam today. Hid the cable in the trim and plugged into the 12v in the central glovebox. The thing is it doesn't turn off when I switch off/lock the car.

The manual advises not to leave anything plugged in as it will discharge the battery - this seems to suggest its always on! The cable is easily hidden and I prefer this to hardwiring it in for now.

Does anybody else have the cam wired up like this? Surely I don't have to unplug every time! Does the socket turn off after a period of time?
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I do. Unfortunately your suspicions are correct and the 12v sockets are always powered on in the EU cars.
When I can be arsed i'm either going to run a USB cable or hardwire a Thinkware instead.

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Picked up my new mustang today
Congratulations on the new car. Enjoy!

Does the socket turn off after a period of time?
I think the socket is live for about a minute or so after the car is locked. I was trying to use my ctek battery charger via the 12v socket but as it seems to go dead after a while it wasn't possible.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I think the socket is live for about a minute or so after the car is locked. I was trying to use my ctek battery charger via the 12v socket but as it seems to go dead after a while it wasn't possible.
It should switch off after a couple of minutes
Well I could be wrong, but...
It wouldn't be a new thing to have permanently live sockets. There's evidence out there of guys fuse-tapping onto other ignition controlled circuits.

Sponsored

Shanraf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I have the same issue as well. I can confirm that the socket stays on for 1 hour after the engine is switched off (it annoyed me so I decided to keep going out to check it every 5-10 minutes until I saw it go off.)

I've left it plugged in a few times and I haven't had any battery issues. If you do long distances I imagine it wouldn't be a problem. I do fairly short journeys so I try not to leave it plugged in. It's annoying but I'm bearing with it for now, I'm more concerned about wearing out the socket/connector by putting it in & taking it out 4+ times a day.

Last edited:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I unplug at the dascam end.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I worry about everything :eek:

Sponsored

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
Over 2 months owning the car. About 1300 miles mostly short journeys due to my job. Thinkware in 12v all the time. No issues with battery at all.

I have a couple of fuse links to hard wire it in but just not got around to it yet.

OP
OP

vikz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks all. Bit confusing lots of different opinions. I'm with SteveS being a worrier!
I could buy a usb cable to use in the same way if that turns off with ignition. Can anybody confirm this?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
It looks like the usb does power off with the ignition. The port in the centre console lights up when the ignition is on and the camera powers up and shuts off. However, my dashcam - a Transcend DP220 - thinks its connected to a computer when plugged into the usb rather than being in recording mode, so back to the drawing board for me...

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Just hard wire it.

Costs about ÂŁ5 and is <30mins work.

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
Hardwire it and make sure it is on recording in parking mode where possible. A dashcam is quickly climbing my list of requirements. I had my car keyed 3 weeks ago and tonight it had dog leavings (being poliite) smeared across the windscreen...

All done away from the house so need something to watch over it.
Sponsored