Sponsored

Dash Cam mounting

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
Where are people mounting their dash cams? The manual says the best place is behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side but the problem with this on our rhd cars is that this is where Ford have fitted a large plastic box of sensors. The other thing is the instructions say to fit the suction mount to clear glass and not the pixelated region which is quite large on the Mustang. Has anyone had any problems with suction failing in this area?
I know lots of people have fitted front cams but how have you done it without it constantly being in the driver or passenger's field of view.
One final thing is that according to the instructions the camera must not by law protrude more than 40mm into the wiper swept area of the windscreen.
Any advice welcome, pics even better, thanks :cheers:
Sponsored

Pedestrian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Where are people mounting their dash cams? The manual says the best place is behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side but the problem with this on our rhd cars is that this is where Ford have fitted a large plastic box of sensors. The other thing is the instructions say to fit the suction mount to clear glass and not the pixelated region which is quite large on the Mustang. Has anyone had any problems with suction failing in this area?
I know lots of people have fitted front cams but how have you done it without it constantly being in the driver or passenger's field of view.
One final thing is that according to the instructions the camera must not by law protrude more than 40mm into the wiper swept area of the windscreen.
Any advice welcome, pics even better, thanks :cheers:
Mine just sits directly behind the rear view mirror. I never see it when driving so win win.

Also get a good cam and it wont fall off, Blackvue or something?

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
I mounted mine to the left of the mirror, just on the black marks. Had no problem in three months. The black box just pulls off allowing me to slide my cam off its mount.

It's not ideal but then I don't sit in the passenger seat ;)
dashcam.JPG

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I didn't buy an expensive one, Nextbase from Halfords but it has GPS, WiFi and parking mode and it picks up its power from the mount which it connects magnetically to so the wire doesn't need unplugging when removing the cam.
The only thing is that it doesn't go nicely sideward like the one in your pic but hangs downwards a few inches from the mount. Useful info though, thanks.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Mine is a Transcend so also not expensive. The suction mount sits behind and to the left of the mirror on the black stuff and does occasionally fall off (once or twice in 5 months). Fell off once in the middle of the night and set the alarm off so I set reduced guard when garaged.

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My Thinkware F770 installation in RHD.
IMG_3218.jpg
IMG_3220.jpg

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
Is it easy to get a power feed in that area? I intend to get a dash cam but would prefer not to have trailing cables.... I know there have been discussions on here how/where to take a power feed...

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I put my PapaGo2 on the outside edge of the mirror so It's not in the way when I'm driving. I like the picture quality of the PapaGo but it's not very discreet. The Blackvue is generally considered the stealthiest dash cam. I wanted a chase cam for the back but didn't want to spend much money so I bought a chinese made "blackbox" cam. It won't display speed and location but the picture quality is pretty good.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I put my PapaGo2 on the outside edge of the mirror so It's not in the way when I'm driving. I like the picture quality of the PapaGo but it's not very discreet. The Blackvue is generally considered the stealthiest dash cam. I wanted a chase cam for the back but didn't want to spend much money so I bought a chinese made "blackbox" cam. It won't display speed and location but the picture quality is pretty good.
That's a lot of tech you got goin on there Franz :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

More gadgets than on my Xmas tree there, I like a clear windscreen look and minimum intrusion.

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Is it easy to get a power feed in that area? I intend to get a dash cam but would prefer not to have trailing cables.... I know there have been discussions on here how/where to take a power feed...
It's easy to route around the screen and glove box to the cigar lighter without any trailing cables. Much longer route to fuse box.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
More gadgets than on my Xmas tree there, I like a clear windscreen look and minimum intrusion.
This install is function and price over form. But an ALP with net radar, Blackvue cameras and a portable scanner and that dash would look stock. There are some guys with more sophisticated setups than mine that look as clean as stock. But it costs $$

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Do people slow down around you with all that stuff on your dash, they may think you're an unmarked patrol car

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Do people slow down around you with all that stuff on your dash, they may think you're an unmarked patrol car
I don't think so, I still get passed by other cars on the freeways.

The only unmarked patrol comment I've ever had was on my GTO that thought my jammer heads were police lights. I had a handheld scanner on that car.
Sponsored