Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
A few months ago, My EcoBoost suffered a catastrophic failure of the cooling system. Since AutoNation Ford (ANF) in Tustin was barely a mile from work where I discovered the leak, they were the logical choice to take the car.

It took two weeks, and the Service Manager finally called. He said he had "good news and bad news". The good news is that the new crate engine was installed and ready to go. The bad news? The technician had dropped the bumper cover and gouged the plastic. I would need to bring the car back in for repair of the bumper.

While I had the car at home, my parents had just happened to be in town, so I was proudly showing off the engine bay to my dad (of course :)). I noticed at that time several long and deep scratches along the underside of the hood. Someone at the dealership had even decided to hide the damage with a black sharpie marker. Dumbstruck by this, I phoned the service manager immediately and demanded they repaint the hood as well, to which he agreed without question. During this time, I was in contact with a representative of Ford Customer Service.

They repainted the bumper, but it was sub-par. Divots in the paint showed where no work was completed to repair the gouge on the bumper cover, and there were paint drips and haze in the hood's paint. It went back and was mostly corrected (I still have clear coat haze on the hood, near the windshield on the driver's side). the Ford CS rep contacted me, and after expressing my displeasure with the experience, her only response was to ask if the dealer fixed the issue. I said 'for the most part' and she abruptly ended the conversation by saying that she was closing the case, etc etc... I did not feel that Ford handled this well, I felt the CS rep wa insensitive and was just in a mood to close the issue.

Weeks later, I finally filled out the "customer survey". I was not easy on them. I clearly outlined the deficiencies in the process. I was later contacted by a new Service Manager. Apparently the previous one was no longer employed there, and his first action was to fire the tech who damaged my vehicle. According to the new Manager, my car was not the first one the tech had damaged. He offered to meet with me to try to 'make it right', however at the time I was hesitant to allow them to look or touch my car. My trust in the dealer was already damaged.

Fast-forward a few more weeks. I have two problems. First, the air conditioning on the driver's side stopped working. I would get cool air from the passenger vents, but the driver's vents just blew ambient-temperature air, even when set to MAX. Second, my adaptive cruise control would fail on long trips. I would be cruising along, and then the car would disengage from cruise control, displaying the messages "Adaptive Cruise Not Available", and "Collision Warning Not Available". I could not disable adaptive cruise in the vehicle menu (to use normal cruise control) because the "Cruise Control" option would be greyed out and non-selectable. This was an intermittent probem that seemed to somehow resolve itself after anywhere from several hours to several days. I took the car into Ford of Orange, near my house, for diagnosis and repair.

It took 17 days, but here's what they report:

For the air conditioning: They have told me the condenser was cracked I don't yet have details on where the crack is located. This caused leakage of the refrigerant, which apparently has some sort of an effect on the blend doors for the AC system.

For the adaptive cruise: They found three breaks in the CANBUS from the engine bay to the rear.

Other: The left front fender shows evidence it was removed or otherwise realigned.

They repeatedly asked me if my car had been in a front-end collision. I had previously been up front with the prior rear-end collision and the engine replacement saga. I even showed photos of everything I had, including the lack of front-end damage in the accident.

At this point we have no other conclusion that the damage to the condenser and wiring were caused by ANF in Tustin. Meanwhile, my car remains in the custody of Ford of Orange while the two dealers negotiate payment, otherwise I would be charged for more than 10 hours of labor, parts, and 20-odd days of car rental. I literally can't afford to pay for someone else's negligence at this point.

Now, even if ANF agrees to pay for the repairs, what else did they damage that we haven't uncovered yet? Why was the left front fender moved? Why did they keep a technician in their employ after he was noted as having a history of damaging vehicles?

And I'm beginning to say these two words all too often: "What next?".

What next, Ford?
Sponsored

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
What next......Lemon law case and make Ford buy back the car :thumbsup: Continue to throw you car payers my friend :cheers:

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Seems you are in a world of hurt if you have to bring your car in for warranty replacement. I am glad my car has no issues and hopefully all she will need is regular oil changes and replacement of consumables.

We need a thread that features competent Ford dealers, dealers that handle your car in a professional manner.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
You should definitely read up on the Lemon Law and see how it applies to you in California. It sounds like you may be headed that way.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
You should definitely read up on the Lemon Law and see how it applies to you in California. It sounds like you may be headed that way.
I don't meet the qualifications. California stipulates (within 18 months or 18,000 miles of ownership) you would need to meet one of the following criteria:

1. 2 or more warranty repairs of a part which seriously impacts driver safety
2. 4 or more warranty repairs of any other part
3. 30 days or more where the car is out of service for any cumulative warranty repair

Unfortunately all this time at Ford of Orange cannot count as warranty work. It's classified under dealer damages and ultimately an insurance claim for the dealer (in this case, AutoNation Ford in Tustin).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Okay dokey, I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm a prior service advisor. I dealt with moron techs, service managers, service employees, and overall bad Ford CS representatives.

The poor warranty repair falls back on Autonation as a dealership. Ford won't pay for a shotty repair, and they won't pay for errors made by a dealership under that warranty work. This is evident by what you're experiencing. No surprises

Now, the biggest thing you're going to have to put up with is the fact Ford has no responsibility as a corporate company for the poor repair. While the car could possibly fall under Lemon law, it's extenuating circumstances that happened outside of engineering failure that caused your revisits. (IE it was caused by a moron with a wrench and not poor assembly at the factory)

Lemon law would probably put you in a worst situation as every Ford dealer in America would be told by Ford corporate to stay away from you the minute it turns legal. So there goes any further repairs till the lawsuit/legal situation is finished. Whats worse is you don't have an open and close Lemon law case. This is a really bad quality of service case. My advice is to go after them on social media, burn Autonation to the ground that way. Have a General Manager or Fixed Ops manager contact you, and then go from there. You won't get anywhere with the Service Manager. You won't get anywhere having another dealer step in to try and make it right. They didn't mess the car up, they won't buy it back.

Just be smart because you can really screw your case up. I've seen it happen many many times in the Ford world. Also, start a new Case with Ford against Autonation.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the AC thing sounds like a bad evap core which is a common issue.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
That really sucks Aaron, it does. I hated being without my car when it was rear ended and I can't imagine what it's like to be sitting without because a dealership can't be trusted. If you are unhappy in the future with Ford of Orange, I would recommend McCoy Mills. They have always taken care of my vehicles. I can give you a ride home and back to them if you need in the future.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Wow. What a horrible experience. I feel for you man. I had to deal with the repercussions of being rearended a few months after buying my car, but nothing like this.

It's exactly stories like this that cause me to be scared to take my car to the dealership. It sucks that this is the way it is, especially since I've avoided doing any major modifications specifically to keep my warranty intact. However, if this is the kind of service that is expected, might as well void that mofo and roll the dice since that's basically what the dealership is doing.

It really pisses me off too. Recently, Ford Racing released info on their performance packages. The big selling point to these packages is that you can maintain your factory warranty...IF you get it installed by the dealership (or, I believe a certified mechanic). If this is the level of service from a dealership mechanic, why the F would I want them to install it in my car?? Hell, I wouldn't want them putting air in my tires!

/rant

EDIT: I know that not ALL dealerships are like this and not ALL mechanics (dealership mechanics or otherwise) are this incompetent but the point is people should be most comfortable taking their cars to the dealerships but that's just not the case from what I've seen and experienced. Between jacked up pricing for service and parts, lies about problems vehicles do or don't have, and service experience's like the one in this thread, the car dealership has really become the last place you want to take your car. Sad...

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Okay dokey, I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm a prior service advisor. I dealt with moron techs, service managers, service employees, and overall bad Ford CS representatives.

The poor warranty repair falls back on Autonation as a dealership. Ford won't pay for a shotty repair, and they won't pay for errors made by a dealership under that warranty work. This is evident by what you're experiencing. No surprises

Now, the biggest thing you're going to have to put up with is the fact Ford has no responsibility as a corporate company for the poor repair. While the car could possibly fall under Lemon law, it's extenuating circumstances that happened outside of engineering failure that caused your revisits. (IE it was caused by a moron with a wrench and not poor assembly at the factory)

Lemon law would probably put you in a worst situation as every Ford dealer in America would be told by Ford corporate to stay away from you the minute it turns legal. So there goes any further repairs till the lawsuit/legal situation is finished. Whats worse is you don't have an open and close Lemon law case. This is a really bad quality of service case. My advice is to go after them on social media, burn Autonation to the ground that way. Have a General Manager or Fixed Ops manager contact you, and then go from there. You won't get anywhere with the Service Manager. You won't get anywhere having another dealer step in to try and make it right. They didn't mess the car up, they won't buy it back.

Just be smart because you can really screw your case up. I've seen it happen many many times in the Ford world. Also, start a new Case with Ford against Autonation.
Thanks for your insight, it pretty much sums everything up. I know at this point a lemon is a tough sell, so I'm not thinking of pursuing it at this point. I do intend to escalate this on social media and Ford CS, we'll see what reaction I get, but I'm not betting on much more than canned platitudes.

I also understand that Ford of Orange has no real obligation to try and force ANF to pay. I took the car in because at the time, I had no reason to believe the problems I was experiencing were caused by damage done at ANF. I am very grateful to my service writer and the folks at Ford of Orange in helping me work through this. I've been taking my cars there for service for the past five years, so I've gained a good rapport with the people there, and I want to keep it.

Overall, I really do love my car, it's everything I want in a Mustang at this point. But with everything that's happened to the car in the 11 months I've had it, I can't get any enjoyment from it. As I mentioned in the first post, it's just a matter of "what's next?".

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Wow. What a horrible experience. I feel for you man. I had to deal with the repercussions of being rearended a few months after buying my car, but nothing like this.

It's exactly stories like this that cause me to be scared to take my car to the dealership. It sucks that this is the way it is, especially since I've avoided doing any major modifications specifically to keep my warranty intact. However, if this is the kind of service that is expected, might as well void that mofo and roll the dice since that's basically what the dealership is doing.

It really pisses me off too. Recently, Ford Racing released info on their performance packages. The big selling point to these packages is that you can maintain your factory warranty...IF you get it installed by the dealership (or, I believe a certified mechanic). If this is the level of service from a dealership mechanic, why the F would I want them to install it in my car?? Hell, I wouldn't want them putting air in my tires!

/rant

EDIT: I know that not ALL dealerships are like this and not ALL mechanics (dealership mechanics or otherwise) are this incompetent but the point is people should be most comfortable taking their cars to the dealerships but that's just not the case from what I've seen and experienced. Between jacked up pricing for service and parts, lies about problems vehicles do or don't have, and service experience's like the one in this thread, the car dealership has really become the last place you want to take your car. Sad...
That's a pretty broad brush to paint with. Not all dealers (Ford or otherwise) are crap, yes some are and it sounds like the OP's case it certain that Autonation Ford is one to stay away from. I have been using the same dealer here for almost 20yrs and have nothing but confidence in them. They have always done a good job on both warranty and non-warranty repairs on my Fords. Find a GOOD dealer (they do exist) and make sure you let everyone know who they are - Mine is Dewy Ford in Ankeny, IA (not going to help the OP).
Sponsored