Sponsored

First new car owner and first Mustang owner. Tips?

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Race Red
So I just purchased my first new car and also my first Mustang!! I went with the V6 because that is financially the best car for me at the moment. I have always wanted a mustang and have been waiting forever for this moment. Eventually as I get older I plan to purchase a GT. With that said, any tips or advice to keep it in great shape for years to come? I listed a few questions below. Any other things will help!

• When to get the first oil change?
  • What to clean the interior with?
  • What are the best products to wash it with?

Thanks in advance!
Loving my new car!!
Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
So I just purchased my first new car and also my first Mustang!! I went with the V6 because that is financially the best car for me at the moment. I have always wanted a mustang and have been waiting forever for this moment. Eventually as I get older I plan to purchase a GT. With that said, any tips or advice to keep it in great shape for years to come? I listed a few questions below. Any other things will help!

Thanks in advance!
Loving my new car!!
Congrats!

Your manual will have a service schedule for oil changes.

What interior are you wanting to clean? Leather, cloth?

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Congrats on your first car! The Mustang is an icon, great choice.

Here are some random tips in no particular order:

- First oil change at 5000-7500 miles. Sooner if you're paranoid.
- Brake/clutch fluid every 3 years.
- Everything else just follow the manual, you can do them sooner if you want.
- Wring out your engine once in a while, it's good for it.
- When parking and parallel parking, don't be too risky, you will curb or bottom out your car, and you'll be sad.
- Wash your car using the 2 bucket method, apply a good sealant and you're set.
- Use two towel method to clean windows. One for the cleaner and a dry one to polish.
- Wipe down your interior with mild soapy water periodically, don't use armor all.
- rotate tires at every oil change, you'll get alot more life out of them.
- Rubber all weather mats are worth it.
- Get the steeda clutch spring if your car is manual.
- Buy good tires, they make a big difference.
- Carry quick detailer and a microfiber in your cars just in case of bird bombs.
- Invest in a good tire pressure gauge. Check tire pressure monthly.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
This ^

Lots of good car care products out there. I prefer mothers VLR for interior trim.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brookdo

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Race Red

- When parking and parallel parking, don't be too risky, you will curb or bottom out your car, and you'll be sad.
- Use two towel method to clean windows. One for the cleaner and a dry one to polish.
- Wipe down your interior with mild soapy water periodically, don't use armor all.
- Carry quick detailer and a microfiber in your cars just in case of bird bombs.
Wow thanks! Those are some great tips!

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Wow thanks! Those are some great tips!
I know right :D. Here are some more random tips:

- learn to lower yourself onto your seat, not just slide in and out. You'll save alot of wear on your bolsters.
- rings will knick your steering wheel and shift knob.
- put some clearbra material under the door handles. They'll get deep scratches especially from women.
- save your OEM parts if modifying so you can revert back to stock. Mods hurt resale value.
- you'll be lucky to recoup half of what you paid for in mods if you plan to resell.
- save up and buy what you really want. It's alot more expensive to settle, buy the cheaper parts, sell it at a huge loss and then re-buy what you wanted in the first place.
- dealerships are ok for cheap oil changes, but for everything else go to a good local place. They'll take better care of your car and be cheaper.
- learn to wrench yourself, you'll learn alot about the car.
- start off with changing your own air/cabin filters, jacking up your car, rotating your tires.
- buy a good 1/2" drive torque wrench and maybe a 3/8" drive as well.
- spent some time learning how the Ford OEM online parts catalog works. You see the exploded view of the parts, part numbers and how the car goes together.
- wipe down the doorjambs and seals when you wash your car.
- use a Quick Detailer or Quik Wax after drying your car get rid of the waterspots/streaks and it provides a bit of extra protection on top of the sealant.
- if you drop your wash sponge/mit/claybar, throw it away.
- do not bring your car to places that offer to polish your car for $50-200. They just do a 1 step buff with a rotary and use a wax with alot of filler to hide all the holograms they just put on. CORRECT paint correction will be anywhere from $250-500.
- do not allow the dealership to wash your car.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks in advance!
Loving my new car!!

You'll probably going to get a lot of jabs for buying a V6 in here. My advice is to ignore all of them and experience the car for yourself. Enjoy it and have fun with it. I get jabs for buying a 4 cylinder Mustang but I love me car and don't car what others think.
:ford:

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Congrats, OP! Also a new mustang owner (1 week and race red also). Don't feel less amazing that you got the V6 instead of the GT. No one asks GT owners "ah so why didn't you just get the Shelby then?" :D:D

I know right :D. Here are some more random tips:

- learn to lower yourself onto your seat, not just slide in and out. You'll save alot of wear on your bolsters.
- rings will knick your steering wheel and shift knob.
- put some clearbra material under the door handles. They'll get deep scratches especially from women.
- save your OEM parts if modifying so you can revert back to stock. Mods hurt resale value.
- you'll be lucky to recoup half of what you paid for in mods if you plan to resell.
- save up and buy what you really want. It's alot more expensive to settle, buy the cheaper parts, sell it at a huge loss and then re-buy what you wanted in the first place.
- dealerships are ok for cheap oil changes, but for everything else go to a good local place. They'll take better care of your car and be cheaper.
- learn to wrench yourself, you'll learn alot about the car.
- start off with changing your own air/cabin filters, jacking up your car, rotating your tires.
- buy a good 1/2" drive torque wrench and maybe a 3/8" drive as well.
- spent some time learning how the Ford OEM online parts catalog works. You see the exploded view of the parts, part numbers and how the car goes together.
- wipe down the doorjambs and seals when you wash your car.
- use a Quick Detailer or Quik Wax after drying your car get rid of the waterspots/streaks and it provides a bit of extra protection on top of the sealant.
- if you drop your wash sponge/mit/claybar, throw it away.
- do not bring your car to places that offer to polish your car for $50-200. They just do a 1 step buff with a rotary and use a wax with alot of filler to hide all the holograms they just put on. CORRECT paint correction will be anywhere from $250-500.
- do not allow the dealership to wash your car.

Awesome feedback. Can you elaborate on the quick detailer thing? I've never heard that before and just started hearing what detailer is anyway. You able to put together a proper car-cleaning/detailing guide? :hail::hail::hail:

Sponsored

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Use Meguiar's products to clean, they sell their stuff in bulk aswell if you want to save alot of money. First oil change is usually free @ the dealer.

Meguiar Wash and Wax - outside
Meguiar Ultimate Quick Detailer - cleans off some dirt/etc on the exterior of the car so you dont have to rewash the whole car, maintains your wax aswell
Meguiar Interior Detailer - cleans interior plastic

You dont have to use meguiar, but its cheap and effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G32...F8&qid=1472034773&sr=1-4&keywords=meguiar+kit
That's a good kit to start out with for the exterior. Buy microfiber towels at your local store/online for detailing/all purpose.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Congrats on your new Mustang V6! The other posts pretty much covered your questions so i just wanted to say welcome and I think you'll enjoy your V6. It's a great engine, plenty of power and very good MPG. the mods you can do can usually be done to all Mustangs so do what you want to set yours apart when you can. There's lots of great threads on here and we're all here for eachother so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy!

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I loved my 2015 V6! Congrats!

Check into autocross. It won't be just Mustang folks, but it will be a lot of car enthusiasts, and you'll have a blast. Autocross is a great way to see how hard you can push your car in a very very low risk environment. You can run harder than you ever could on the street, and you'll learn how the car reacts when pushed too hard. It is unbelievably fun!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You folks who balk at the 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. engines make me laugh. You're way too spoiled. I had lots of cars with a LOT less than 300 HP and enjoyed them.
300 HP is plenty on the street. My Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo had less and it was PLENTY fast.
Sickening how spoiled people are.
Sponsored