Wanting to upgraded my 3.15 gears "please help"

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I have 3.15 gears in my 15 v6 manual and I know I can't just swap out to 3.55 or 3.73 gears without changing the rear diff, my question is if I go to AmericanMuscle and buy the loaded differential will my current axles work, it says it requires 34 spline axles and I'm not sure what spline my current axles are. When I go to ford parts and look up axles it seems that all models of the mustang use the same axles, well at least the part number is the same. Does anyone have any idea if just buying the loaded diff will work.

This is what differential I'm talking about
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-irs-355-loaded-torsen-diff-1516.html

And what would be some good supporting mods to go with upgrading the IRS

Thanks in advance guys and sorry if this has been asked before
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
All of the S550 axles have 34 tooth spline shafts, so you're good there. The axle carrier that you've linked to is a very clean way to do the swap, and minimizes the labor needed, but it is more expensive than just and ring & pinion set and suitable differential. All you really need is:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-diff-2015gt.html
and
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-355-gears-2015.html
Plus, of course, the bearings/tools/supplies needed to do the install. But if you've never set up ring and pinion gearing before, swapping the whole axle assembly makes it much easier...

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
You'll also need the Whipple flair tool

OP
OP
DarkVader0911

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks so much so those two parts is all I need for a shop to install them? I currently don't have a place to do it my self so I'm going to have A local mustang shop do the work. I haven't decide between 3.55 or 3.73 gears for my nitrous setup,

While the shop is down there replacing the gears what else would be a good addition to the IRS and driveline system

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Maybe 3.15 is best for nitrous already...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DarkVader0911

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
And I'm not always using nitrous so when I'm not using it I would like a quicker gear

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
More gear isn't always quicker. There are cases where available torque is so high relative to vehicle weight that less gear helps calm the car down at launch and causes it to not hit the tires so hard. That said, I'm not saying 3.15's are your best choice for nitrous, just that it's not impossible.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
More gear isn't always quicker. There are cases where available torque is so high relative to vehicle weight that less gear helps calm the car down at launch and causes it to not hit the tires so hard.
Well said.

OP
OP
DarkVader0911

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Appreciate the help, didn't mean to come off as rude or anything, right now using track apps I did a 0-60 launch on a 50 shot and ran 5.4s, granted I drive a manual and not the best at launching the car, is that a pretty good number I want to get to 4s at least, now I am going to increase the shot to 100 and will be going to the local tuner to get tuned. Currently on an unleashed 93 tune witch wasn't setup for the nitrous,

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
What sort of nitrous setup do you have? Meaning wet or dry, injected where?

OP
OP
DarkVader0911

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
NX Wet System 3.7 throttle body plate system,

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks so much so those two parts is all I need for a shop to install them? I currently don't have a place to do it my self so I'm going to have A local mustang shop do the work. I haven't decide between 3.55 or 3.73 gears for my nitrous setup,

While the shop is down there replacing the gears what else would be a good addition to the IRS and driveline system
Check on the labor prices, It may end up cheaper to just buy the part in the link you originally posted and it will be done right. I have seen a few people post that they had problems after shops not doing the gear swap correctly.

mrblanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
More gear isn't always quicker. There are cases where available torque is so high relative to vehicle weight that less gear helps calm the car down at launch and causes it to not hit the tires so hard. That said, I'm not saying 3.15's are your best choice for nitrous, just that it's not impossible.
This is some of the theory behind the use of old Powerglides in drag cars.
Sponsored