Sponsored

A Tale of Two Launches

T-rex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
This is an article about the slow sales of the 2016 Chevy Camaro compared to the Ford Mustang. I thought it might be of some interest.

Full article can be found here:
http://www.torquenews.com/106/mustang-wins-january-camaro-sales-remain-slow

Below is an excerpt from the article.

A Tale of Two Launches

The arrival of the “new generation: muscle cars - specifically the 2015 Ford Mustang and the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro - came a year apart, but they are very similar in their basic rollout. The 2015 Mustang began hitting dealerships in November of 2014 and the 2016 Camaro began hitting dealerships in November 2015. It should be noted that deliveries of both vehicles began in October of the year in question, but full scale deliveries didn’t begin for either car until November of their respective year. In both cases, there was a solid stock of “old generation” cars still on hand and as dealers discount those models to get them off of the lots, the previous generation Mustang and Camaro would generally add to the already strong sales numbers of the new generation.

The problem for General Motors is that Camaro sales haven’t followed the same patterns as Mustang sales, even though the timing of the rollout was similar for both vehicles. When the Mustang hit the lots late in 2014, sales exploded, making November and December two of the strongest months of the year. When the 2016 Camaro arrived late in 2015, Camaro sales were at some of their lowest levels of the year.

I then expected to see a huge boom in Camaro sales in January – similar to the strong numbers posted by the new Mustang one year earlier – but once again, Camaro numbers remained low. Chevy only sold around 600 more Camaros this January than they did last January when the new models weren’t available.

For comparison, in the first January where the new Mustang was offered, Ford sold more than twice as many Mustangs as they had the year before.
So, where is the boom in Camaro sales? I am stunned that we still haven’t seen the big spike, as the 2016 Camaro has been well received by the media and the consumer market, yet numbers remain low. While we did see some harsh winter in January, it hasn’t been a particularly rough winter and it is definitely no worse than last year’s winter when Ford was posting huge Mustang sales.

Again, I look to February as the month when the 2016 Camaro will finally have its big impact on the segment sales sheet. In the meantime, sales numbers continue to be fairly strong for the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger as gas prices remain low.

- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/mustang-wins-january-camaro-sales-remain-slow#sthash.vwtQ1xom.dpuf
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The 2016 Camero isnt as much of a change from previous years and did too little to address the reasons people dont buy Cameros.

The 2015 Mustang was a huge change by comparison and brought in all sorts of buyers who would have never considered a Mustang before.

It should come as no shock that the average american buyer doesnt give a care how much the automotive press likes a Camero or not. Reviews do not equal sales in any field.

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
Don't forget that Mustang went worldwide and Camaro is still stateside. This alone will impact sales numbers.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Don't forget that Mustang went worldwide and Camaro is still stateside. This alone will impact sales numbers.
All of the sales reported on this site and on that one are US only. You can get them from goodcarbadcar.net. Canada and global sales are reported separately. And the Mustang started taking orders globally, but did not sell overseas until over half a year later (after 2016 were already in production).

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Chevy has two big problems. The price is too high and the visibility sucks. Consumers are speaking with their check books on which car they prefer/can afford.

I knew when buying my new mustang that the numbers weren't as good as the new Camaro but that didn't sway me as the difference in price would allow me to have fun with buying aftermarket parts to make the car how I want it to be.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Saleen mustang
For the average customer the look is really similar and most people don't care as much about the weight savings because most people won't ever race the car. And yes the price pointi n much higher than the mustang. If you put the cost savings into mods the mustang would blow the doors off the camaro.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Huge surprise when they made the new Camaro too much like the former.

Yawn.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
In before the 4cyl and convertible versions are not out yet....

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
The 2015 Mustang was a huge change by comparison and brought in all sorts of buyers who would have never considered a Mustang before.

This.

I am in my mid 40's. I have had "grown up" cars for the last 16 years (since my last mustang gt in 1998). The 2015 Mustang finally has enough refinement, power, and tech that allows it to be a "grown up" daily driver, not just a drag strip car.

Sponsored

Mustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
I would have never considered a mustang prior to 2015. I have been a German guy through and through. When the 2015 came out I loved everything about it. Fast forward to 2016 and I now own a 16 PP GT and love it. The Camaro has a great engine but is over priced and it doesn't appeal to me in the looks department. I got my GT PP for 28.5k and no way I would have got a Camaro for anywhere near that.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
The other thing to consider here is practicality. While many hear throw stones at those who speak of backseat and usability, the truth is that those things matter to the general buying public (not so much to the drag strip or race track type). My kids ride in the back of my convertible all the time and are very comfortable back there. And that is at my normal driving position.

Consider this, just the trunk space in the Camaro is ridiculous (I know I have mentioned it before).

Coupe Convertible
2015+ Mustang 13.5 ft^3 11.4 ft^3
2016+ Camaro 9.1 ft^3 7.3 ft^3

My father-in-law has a Z4 convertible, and his trunk is ridiculous, cannot fit anything in there, and the Camaro is a much bigger car and is even smaller in the trunk! Everyday people want this to be a practical car, and Chevy gave up the practical part to get the performance.

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
All of the sales reported on this site and on that one are US only. You can get them from goodcarbadcar.net. Canada and global sales are reported separately. And the Mustang started taking orders globally, but did not sell overseas until over half a year later (after 2016 were already in production).

My bad. It was just a thought.