Whipple 2.9L CHT 225F IAT 160F in traffic

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
High IAT's can quickly knock 100hp out of the car. A 100hp that a lot of $$$$ was spent on.
I agree, and with more technology and data comes the ability to control monitor and change the factors that Robb HP and safety. In forced induction AIT's remain one of the most critical components.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sigintel

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Whoa dude we on the same team. SmokedSS is correct

Your IAT2's don't. You're using the wrong or have corrupted data.
I have a Whipple and he is correct in his statement as to what is shown on the dash gauges. At startup on a cold engine the IAT shown on the dash gauges is just a couple degrees above ambient. It typically will rise as he mentions. In extreme harsh driving and lots of highway pulls then going straight into traffic I have seen the 120F rise to 160F. I HAVE PULLED OVER AND MEASURED THE TEMPERATURES WITH K THERMOCOUPLES, DMM AND AN INFRARED TEMPERATURE GAUGE AND THESE NUMBERS ARE CORRECT +/- 1F OR LESS.
Dude, we are on the same team and your input is appreciated.
Keep in mind many people are still learning what IAT1/2 and other temperature measurements are available.

By the way, your insulated spacer for the intake manifold to keep out heat from the block is freakn awesome. I would like to buy one and have some quotes already on laser cut high temp glass nylon sheet already before I saw your stuff. How much? PM please.

OP
OP
sigintel

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
IAT1 is relevant

That's the thing. The stock IAT reads way out in the MAF sensor in the airbox. Your IAT2 should show what is inside the intake manifold, which is hotter. So what you're seeing is IAT1, which is mostly irrelevant on a PD car.
The hotter the air coming in the hotter the air coming out of the IC after the blower. Soooo if you can be pulling 90F air instead of 160F air into the blower and IC core can cool the result down further.
All things kept the same, increasing IAT1 will increase IAT2.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
The hotter the air coming in the hotter the air coming out of the IC after the blower. Soooo if you can be pulling 90F air instead of 160F air into the blower and IC core can cool the result down further.

Correct, but it's not a 1:1 ratio by any means as iat1 goes up, the ic effectiveness also does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
I absolutely agree that keeping IAT1's down is important. It means there is less to cool down with the limited ability to cool. You can take every single bite out of the cooling apple and it will still never be "bulletproof". So I'm a huge proponent of taking any and every bite possible. Identifying those bites and taking them all is how we ended up making stuff that is so much more advanced than everything else out there.

Here is an interesting piece of data:

On my 2007, which has been sold, on really hot days when mired on surface streets I would see IAT2's that were lower than the IAT1s. Does this mean I didn't want lower IAT1's? Absolutely not, I'll take everything I can get. But that sure does show how well an intercooler system can work.:thumbsup:

Correct, but it's not a 1:1 ratio by any means as iat1 goes up, the ic effectiveness also does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said^^^^^

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
By the way, your insulated spacer for the intake manifold to keep out heat from the block is freakn awesome. I would like to buy one and have some quotes already on laser cut high temp glass nylon sheet already before I saw your stuff. How much? PM please.
We're not actually using a "spacer", it's part of the intake manifold. If it were removed it wouldn't be a manifold anymore.

We've been planning on looking into offering spacers for other manifolds though. There are a lot of hurdles to jump though. Number one is that it will raise everything 1/2". That may mean drop engine mounts, things not lining up, a longer belt, etc,. etc, etc. Yes, we could whack some spacers out but it wouldn't be a "bolt on". There would be stuff to figure out. And right now we're slammed doing other projects. Getting cars in, doing all the R&D, etc for spacers is just not in the top three of the to do list unfortunately.

I would really like to do more stuff like that. But I have people beating my door down for stuff we don't even have finished yet (GT500 and GT Supercar manifolds, S197 and & S550 heat exchangers, etc).
Sponsored