Sponsored

Preventative "Repair" on GT350?

macroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pkg.
Basically things that should be done to avoid headaches later.

As an example. I DD a Subaru STi. One of the issues people found was that because the Brembo calipers are aluminum, the bolts (steel) would fuse with the caliper. When you try to remove it sometime down the road, the bolts would break or the threads in the caliper comes out with the bolt.

So, folks would basically take the calipers off right after buying the car and add anti-seize or even add helicoil/Time-sert kits as a preventative measure.

Anything that should be taken care of for the GT350?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Some say oil separators.

Acksman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby 350GT - Race Red w/ White Stripes
add kick plates to the door.
I need some sort of this solution. I am a tall guy and dang I still hit the door getting out every once in awhile. I am looking for something to protect it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Basically things that should be done to avoid headaches later.
If you track the car quite a bit you'll probably have to pop the calipers off a number of times for pad changes. Previous generation Brembos (S197) allowed sliding the pads out of the top of the caliper. The GT350 Brembos have a cast in bridge that prevents you from being able to do the same.

So could trashing the threads on the aluminum knuckle happen? Certainly. You could indeed use anti-seize but should then probably consider a lower torque value and then possibly safety wiring. A better solution for a frequently tracked car may be a stud/nut in place of the caliper bolts.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've broken so many damn bolts and clamps...I anti seize pretty much everything regardless now unless you're specifically not supposed to which I can't think of much except around drive shafts and such. It was always in my plans to anti seize the caliper bolts right away.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've broken so many damn bolts and clamps...I anti seize pretty much everything regardless now unless you're specifically not supposed to which I can't think of much except around drive shafts and such. It was always in my plans to anti seize the caliper bolts right away.
Yeah with our weather pretty much everything should either get anti-seize or Loctite.

OP
OP
macroy

macroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pkg.
If you track the car quite a bit you'll probably have to pop the calipers off a number of times for pad changes. Previous generation Brembos (S197) allowed sliding the pads out of the top of the caliper. The GT350 Brembos have a cast in bridge that prevents you from being able to do the same.

So could trashing the threads on the aluminum knuckle happen? Certainly. You could indeed use anti-seize but should then probably consider a lower torque value and then possibly safety wiring. A better solution for a frequently tracked car may be a stud/nut in place of the caliper bolts.
Whoa - so you need to remove the calipers in order to change pads? That's a real PITA.

As for stud/bolt and nuts, I wonder why they don't just do that to begin with. Stripping/breaking would only impact the bolt/nut and can be easily rectified vs. effing up the caliper itself.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The calipers are through drilled macroy. The GT350 calipers are radial mount, not side mount like the S197 Brembos were. So you are threading into the aluminum knuckle, not the caliper. So you don't screw up the caliper threads as there aren't any but rather the knuckle itself.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I didn't know they were radial. Now googling some high res photos, you're absolutely right. At least that makes access quite a bit easier.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can clearly see the bridge that prevents fast and easy pad changes, compared to an S197 Brembo in black.

And the factory bolts...

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
You can clearly see the bridge that prevents fast and easy pad changes, compared to an S197 Brembo in black.

And the factory bolts...

The GT 350 calipers are designed to be stiff, hence the one piece casting and bridge.

More importantly, I noticed the blue on the bolt threads. I have always thought that was applied to bolts that shouldn't be allowed to come loose, kind of like Loctite. So, I'm wondering if antisieze would be appropriate? Also, anybody have access to the service manual to see if the bolts are supposed to be replaced anytime they are removed?
Sponsored