Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Received mine recently and when installing the fronts I noticed a couple of things:

The adhesive was misaligned and improperly installed. It actually pulled off of the rock guard when I was removing the strip on the other side to expose the adhesive, then laid back down badly and is wrinkled where it's attached to my car on the passenger side.

The instructions I received are NOT the ones in the OP. They are a tragic mess of misspellings and convoluted steps that make little sense. Fortunately the product is easy enough to figure out on its own because the instructions were laughable at best. You'd fail your GED exam if you turned those in...

As this site typically goes, I am comfortable with the impending attacks on my ability to install tape and I'm well aware that most of you will assume this is my fault and attack me for posting my personal experiences in a thread about the product people are interested in but please know I'll consider you a complete idiot for doing so and we can save the effort.

So overall the product quality could use some serious effort. Let's see if they last...

macek25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2017
Received mine recently and when installing the fronts I noticed a couple of things:

The adhesive was misaligned and improperly installed. It actually pulled off of the rock guard when I was removing the strip on the other side to expose the adhesive, then laid back down badly and is wrinkled where it's attached to my car on the passenger side.

The instructions I received are NOT the ones in the OP. They are a tragic mess of misspellings and convoluted steps that make little sense. Fortunately the product is easy enough to figure out on its own because the instructions were laughable at best. You'd fail your GED exam if you turned those in...

As this site typically goes, I am comfortable with the impending attacks on my ability to install tape and I'm well aware that most of you will assume this is my fault and attack me for posting my personal experiences in a thread about the product people are interested in but please know I'll consider you a complete idiot for doing so and we can save the effort.

So overall the product quality could use some serious effort. Let's see if they last...
I received mine a couple weeks ago and didn't have any problem with install at all. And front was the easiest part ... just put one pin and then tape after that other two pins and it's finished.
Rear with drilling also easy but you need ale out rear wheel out. And rest ... well

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
ordered the front and rear. quick shipping. installed the fronts in like 15 minutes. the tape was placed differently on each guard and the lower push pins do not 100% reinsert. meaning they are too short with the bulk added by the guard. they are in and secure, but not as intended. if that makes any sense. very stealth and love the added protection.

[/url]ZL1 Addons Front Rock Guards. by a ham23, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]ZL1 Addons Front Rock Guards. by a ham23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Ideally, it is best to have loose tape, and then mark the elevation where the guard ends on the front fender, and then apply tape up to that mark. This way the the tape will be in the exact position on the guard.

As for the push pin, you have to push firmly against the guard near that hole, because the side skirt is not flush with the fender liner. Once you are pushing the guard firmly at the hole's position, the plastic rivet will install easily, and it will seat all the way.

I mentioned the first technique in my instructions, but I don't recall if I mentioned the second detail.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ideally, it is best to have loose tape, and then mark the elevation where the guard ends on the front fender, and then apply tape up to that mark. This way the the tape will be in the exact position on the guard.

As for the push pin, you have to push firmly against the guard near that hole, because the side skirt is not flush with the fender liner. Once you are pushing the guard firmly at the hole's position, the plastic rivet will install easily, and it will seat all the way.

I mentioned the first technique in my instructions, but I don't recall if I mentioned the second detail.
Yeah, I did this and snapped the countersunk hole right out of the guard. The plunger of the larger pins just did not want to go all the way in. Sent an email to ZL1 for new front passengers and got an automated message to call them, bleh.

EDIT: Called them and they're sending me a front pass side replacement for free. I admitted openly it was my own fault for trying to bang in the plugner with a rubber mallett, but they said no worries. Pretty awesome of them.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
John at ZL1 is old school - he prefers to handle these things by phone.

Honestly, I wish he'd just post my instructions as a downloadable link at his site. No printing, or old instructions sent out. (Yes, I suggested it to him last year. Again, he's old school.)

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Honestly, I wish he'd just post my instructions as a downloadable link at his site. No printing, or old instructions sent out. (Yes, I suggested it to him last year. Again, he's old school.)
Yeah, understand. He's replacing the one I broke for free, no complaints here other than why that friggin retainer plunger wouldn't go all the way in...

The fronts came with the tape already installed on the guard. He may have used your instructions in the kit I received. Never made it to the rears to verify against your instructions but will check later this week.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible

When I received my guards last summer, there was a full set of detailed instructions included. I think they were yours. :thumbsup:

And I agree that John is old school. He was very helpful with me via phone. :)

Sponsored

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Those push pins are a bitch! I only put 2 of the 3 in on each side in front. The small ones were easy, the big ones felt like I was pushing them into a wall! I finally got one big one in on each side after a bunch of swearing. I left the last pins out because I was done fucking with it and the tape holds them on really well.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Those push pins are a bitch! I only put 2 of the 3 in on each side in front. The small ones were easy, the big ones felt like I was pushing them into a wall! I finally got one big one in on each side after a bunch of swearing. I left the last pins out because I was done fucking with it and the tape holds them on really well.
Now that my flaps have been on for a year, I can see that the fronts have permanently "shaped" themselves around the projecting side skirt. So now the push pins are easier to remove and install.

Again, push hard, right next to the troublesome hole, and then the pin should close with your other hand. I suppose you could even try a heat gun to soften the flap.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Now that my flaps have been on for a year, I can see that the fronts have permanently "shaped" themselves around the projecting side skirt. So now the push pins are easier to remove and install.

Again, push hard right next to the troublesome hole, and then the pin should close. I suppose you could even try a heat gun to soften the flap.
HARD RIGHT WITH SOME HEEEEEET! Got it. ;)

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I juat ordered the deluxe guards. Were people having trouble with the deluxe, regular, both?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I juat ordered the deluxe guards. Were people having trouble with the deluxe, regular, both?
No idea which ones people were having issues with. My deluxe guards arrived today, kit was complete and all parts accounted for. Just finished installing the fronts, both went on without a hitch and no probs with the push pins. Very easy. Doing the rears tomorrow.
Sponsored