Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I

How about on the German Autobauhn?
I think you have better chances hitting limp mode on the Autobauhn before you're rock guards start flying off the car. ;)

Keep us posted as to which one happens first.
Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Ok so i still haven't received my missing tape on my brand new rock guards nor am i sure if it was ever sent in the first place, so i'm wondering if someone can tell me what type and size 3M tape is needed so i can finalyse my install.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thx

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I pressed my tape to the curled in painted part of the body inside the wheel well. So it basically just has to be wide enough to cover that part.

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
The tape used on the ZL 1 rock guards is exactly 1/2" wide, labeled 3M VHB. It seems like really good tape. My problem is that I could not get the plastic "push pins" to seat properly as they went through the guard. I tried several times and maybe it's just me. Also, I think they give so little protection as to make them nearly worthless. Look at pictures of them on a GT350 and you'll see they protrude so little as to offer little protection. I bought the Expel kit for the "hips" of the car that protrude just before the rear tires and I think that will give me the protection I need. The Expel kit consists of 4 pieces, 2 on each side, and should be a relatively installation.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=28650]Rusty[/MENTION] I don't have a 350 but I will say I had trouble getting one or two of my push pins back in properly also and just got it in "good enough". I think my problem was due to dirt build up inside the push pin cavity as my push pins came out covered in dirt.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
The tape used on the ZL 1 rock guards is exactly 1/2" wide, labeled 3M VHB. It seems like really good tape. My problem is that I could not get the plastic "push pins" to seat properly as they went through the guard. I tried several times and maybe it's just me. Also, I think they give so little protection as to make them nearly worthless. Look at pictures of them on a GT350 and you'll see they protrude so little as to offer little protection. I bought the Expel kit for the "hips" of the car that protrude just before the rear tires and I think that will give me the protection I need. The Expel kit consists of 4 pieces, 2 on each side, and should be a relatively installation.
I looked at both sets of splash guards, from ZL-1 add-ons, and from Jager brothers. The Jager brothers guards seem to protrude a little bit further so I went with them.

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
[MENTION=28650]Rusty[/MENTION] I don't have a 350 but I will say I had trouble getting one or two of my push pins back in properly also and just got it in "good enough". I think my problem was due to dirt build up inside the push pin cavity as my push pins came out covered in dirt.
Yomamma219, It could be dirt, but in my case there was done. I think the ZL-1 holes in the mud flaps are not aligned with the car. I tried and tried with no success. Yes, I got them partially in, but at an angle and they would not seat fully. I gave up on them, even after I tried to enlarge the holes in the flaps somewhat.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
JLT Rock Blockers accomplish the same thing, are in and out in 5 seconds, are invisible and cost $12.95.

OP
OP

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
Make sure they are the correct push pins. Mine came with 3 smalls on one side (suppose to be 2 large /one small) so they never really engaged when I tried to push them in.

Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
JLT Rock Blockers accomplish the same thing, are in and out in 5 seconds, are invisible and cost $12.95.
The splash guards are not just for the panel behind the front tire, but also for the body panel in front of the rear tire.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Make sure they are the correct push pins. Mine came with 3 smalls on one side (suppose to be 2 large /one small) so they never really engaged when I tried to push them in.

Exactly, just finished installing mine with some 3M tape i bought from the car part store, and like mentionned, their are 2 large push pins at the bottom and one small one at the top.

They fit perfectly and had no issues with push pin alignment. I finally took out my JLT rock blockers.

They don't protrude as much as i'd like, but they are very professionnaly engineered and closely match the OEM look of the rear rock guards.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I spoke with John about the push pins.

The flares are recessed where the push pins go to allow the extra clearance to get them to seat. If you have any issues getting the push pin fully engaged by hand, simply tap it with a rubber/plastic mallet. It will pop in after a few taps. I did this with mine and they seat all the way.

I went with these because they have better engagement points, match he OEM rear flare, and don't stick out as much.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
do we just "force" the push pins out? mine don't see to just pop out easily. screw driver or what? also, the entire round part of the head comes out correct? much thanks.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
do we just "force" the push pins out? mine don't see to just pop out easily. screw driver or what? also, the entire round part of the head comes out correct? much thanks.
The push pin has 2 parts. A male instert and a female receiver that expands. Remove the top part of the push pin first, then the base will pop out
Sponsored