2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've heard it's way better than 3M's older products. I can't find a shop that does it locally, however, and I'm in a major American city.
That's because it is difficult to install properly. 3M has been tweaking it a lot to help installers who are having issues. Optically it is incredibly clear. New version is due any time, samples are out.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
That's because it is difficult to install properly. 3M has been tweaking it a lot to help installers who are having issues. Optically it is incredibly clear. New version is due any time, samples are out.
I DIYd a kit. Was not too bad, and if I had to do it again, improvements would be had. What is the issue that makes it difficult?

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I DIYd a kit. Was not too bad, and if I had to do it again, improvements would be had. What is the issue that makes it difficult?
Originally it was difficult to remove from the backing paper and tacked too hard. They tweaked it and then people had edges coming up. It's just a finickier film than say, Xpel Ultimate. Looks better, imo, tho.

JonS

JonS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Ruby Red - When the weather is nice
From my research it's a pretty standard practice that buy you the best of PPF and ceramic coatings. I plan on putting Modesta over ClearGuard Nano SR PPF.
I think this must have been asked but can not find the answer. How about putting wax/sealer down before the PPF? I would think that would make it look better. Is there any problem with the adhesive?

In terms of what to put down for wax/sealant, what I have seen is that the sealants do have a touch up/restorer to use ever few months. In my case, I like to spend time with the car so doing this every so often is not a problem, but when it comes to that, I might stay with a carnauba. I honestly don't know if there is a consensus about the depth being better but it seems that way to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
derand

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, C8, R8 V10 Gated, Golf R APR, 19 GT350
I think this must have been asked but can not find the answer. How about putting wax/sealer down before the PPF? I would think that would make it look better. Is there any problem with the adhesive?

In terms of what to put down for wax/sealant, what I have seen is that the sealants do have a touch up/restorer to use ever few months. In my case, I like to spend time with the car so doing this every so often is not a problem, but when it comes to that, I might stay with a carnauba. I honestly don't know if there is a consensus about the depth being better but it seems that way to me.
Wax what ever you want after the PPF. You can see some of my work on you tube at derand motorsports.

JonS

JonS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Wax what ever you want after the PPF. You can see some of my work on you tube at derand motorsports.
From this, I take it that you recommend that I DO NOT wax/seal areas to be covered by PPF. I had just thought that if I made the base look good, it would look good through the film.

Thank you for the advice.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Dumb question Derand, but are you saying put CQuartz finest over the PPF? And that doesn't interfere with the self healing of the PPF?

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Derand, what's your opinion on waxing the stripes before applying the PPF? One of my big concerns is that the PPF will take off the stripes at the time of PPF removal (say 6-7 years from now). My installer believes waxing the stripes prior to PPF install may help with removal ease later.

Also, I'm thinking of covering the stripes with separate strips of PPF, rather than the entire hood in one big piece. This would give more flexibility if certain sections of the PPF needed removal or reinstallation, without disturbing the stripes. The only drawback I can think of is that there will be a line where the PPF pieces meet. But there would still be a line even with one big sheet because of the height difference between the stripes and painted surface anyway. Your thoughts?

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I think its funny that a lot of people are saying "it looks just as good as Suntek". If Suntek is the standard why not just use Suntek? :D

When taking off the clear bra you pull it back flat at 180 degees. If you do it right. The stripes wont get damaged. I would not wax the stripes as the installer will remove any wax/sealant as part of the prep for the PPF.

Sponsored
OP
OP
derand

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
Derand, what's your opinion on waxing the stripes before applying the PPF? One of my big concerns is that the PPF will take off the stripes at the time of PPF removal (say 6-7 years from now). My installer believes waxing the stripes prior to PPF install may help with removal ease later.

Also, I'm thinking of covering the stripes with separate strips of PPF, rather than the entire hood in one big piece. This would give more flexibility if certain sections of the PPF needed removal or reinstallation, without disturbing the stripes. The only drawback I can think of is that there will be a line where the PPF pieces meet. But there would still be a line even with one big sheet because of the height difference between the stripes and painted surface anyway. Your thoughts?
No don't put anything on the stripes, the adhesive will not bond properly.Go to you tube and check out derand motorsport I did my car and the hood in one piece 9 months ago.

OP
OP
derand

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
Dumb question Derand, but are you saying put CQuartz finest over the PPF? And that doesn't interfere with the self healing of the PPF?
I've done a few cars with CQuartz and waiting a year to see the results. I would just wax it to be safe, on mine I use ice by turtle wax.

JonS

JonS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
No don't put anything on the stripes, the adhesive will not bond properly.Go to you tube and check out derand motorsport I did my car and the hood in one piece 9 months ago.
I was not clear in my original question. I don't have any strips on my car. Does that change the answer at all about putting sealant/wax down before the PPF?

Thanks

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Put nothing on the car before PPF. Any good installer is going to wash and clay bar the paint as well as perform any paint correction. Putting anything on your car before you take in is simply a waste of time and money.

JonS

JonS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Put nothing on the car before PPF. Any good installer is going to wash and clay bar the paint as well as perform any paint correction. Putting anything on your car before you take in is simply a waste of time and money.
Thanks very much for this. Sorry I have been a bit dense on this point. The key point here is that the installer will make the paint look as good as it can before the application of the film.
Sponsored