Sponsored

Worst luck ever? What do I do?

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
As you can see in my signature, I ordered my GT350 in late AUGUST of last year. I bought another fun car while patiently awaiting this one which should have came around new years as my dealership first said, then changed to the March/April window.. only to be coming now in early June

That's about.. 10 months waiting. (one of the longest I've seen for a car that wasn't botched on delivery)

I finally see a few weeks back, my car was built. FINALLY. ECSTATIC.

I get a phone call this morning..

"Sir, it seems that while passing through Montana, it got hit by a hail storm with nickel sized hail and there is damage on the car and will require paintless dent removal. ":frusty::frusty::frusty:

Now they offered me two options;

1) Get the guy to fix the dents via Paintless dent removal (couple weeks he said) and deliver per the $1000 over MSRP as promised.

2) Give me back my $1000 and move on.

He also mentioned that other dealers are charging 10k over MSRP (not sure what that had to do with anything)

What would you guys do?

For a second, I had a feeling he was trying to pass up my deal to get the car sold to the next biggest bidder... :shrug:

I mean, I could fly over for 150 bucks there and check out the damage in person (whenever it gets to the dealership)...

I asked for pictures of the damage, so we'll see what he says when he gets back to me.

tldr;

-I wait 10 months for GT350.
-During transit, it gets hailed on to the point of damage.
-FML.
Sponsored

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
I'm in the business, if it's small stuff, a good PDR tech can make it look brand new. Just need to make sure the guy knows what he is doing. If it were mine, I'd have my PDR guy look it over and try to get them to discount it as they would have to pay for the repairs anyway and have the tech I trusted do the work. PDR, when done properly is much better than paint rework.
But, then again, it really depends on what you want. If you take it, will you always be looking for that missed dent, will you worry about the underside of the metal, will you always second guess yourself? If so, take a 17, if not, enjoy your 16

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I'd want to see the damage, not that I don't trust the dealer. If it's just minimal and a few spots let the paintless dent guy do his thing. I've had some stuff taken out of my vehicles that you'd never know we're there, that's on black vehicles as well. Some of those guys are really good.
If it just got pelted,,,,,,,,, try and find another.
Sorry that is some sh@$ ass luck

Mustang Marcus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 2016GT350 Magnetic Blue Stripe
Man you've waited so long so what's a few more weeks.

Have them fix it. When you go to pick it up bring a flash light and go over the entire body. If you don't like, smile and ask for your deposit back.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Get it repaired. You waited this long, might as well commit.

For what it's worth, I ordered mine last May and I've had my car for a week.

Sponsored

Grunholle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
///M
To be honest if this was my car I wouldn't take delivery unless they discounted it under MSRP. Sure paintless dent removal can perform miracles but let's face the facts, the car was damaged enough to warrant repair and as such there needs to be a re-evaluation in its worth. The market at the moment for non-R's is cooling and MSRP deals are coming up more and more.

See what you can do to play this to your advantage otherwise I suggest walking.

OP
OP
VoodooV8

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Fix it, have them knock it down to msrp, or something off original deal...
Yeah,

I'm most likely going to just commit to it.

The only issue is it is out of state so I'd have to fly over and incur extra expenses just to check it out now for sure.

:frusty:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So.... They are going to fix it, either way.

1 - get pictures to make sure it's not some dealer flim-flam
2 - Ask them how good their guy is - and when they say he's really good (they will...) - then tell them that you're going to come get it after it's fixed but insist that they pay for your airfare if you can tell it's been damaged and repaired. Remind them that since they said their PDR guy was good, there should be no problem.

OP
OP
VoodooV8

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Update:

According to him,

He will NOT be able to see the car before it's fixed.
He said it will look like brand new when it's delivered.
It's 100+ miles away just to take photos.
It's at a rail yard where it'll get fixed?
The car is at a "transportation area with 500 other cars" 100+ miles away from the dealership and will take 3-4 weeks to fix (although he is just guessing, has no idea how long it'll actually take).

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've had PDR done on other cars. Not a big deal.

Honestly it's not the dealers fault your car got hit by hail. They can't control the weather and if I were them I wouldn't take the hit for something that happened to a car that wasn't even in my possession. Don't get caught up in people here expecting the world from their dealers. Your going to end up heart broken or without a car.

Let them handle the PDR and continue your deal. As they already indicated they stand a chance of spending $200 of their own money to fix it and make a lot more selling to someone else.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I'd ask to see pictures first before anything else, if it's not too bad then I'd continue moving forward with it and try to negotiate a better price.

As long as they are willing to work with you, it'll be fine.

Sorry to hear that, tough situation. One of my cars was absolutely destroyed by hail just a month out from the body shop. I was on my way back from a funeral too.

Hail sucks.

Nick C.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Update:

According to him,

He will NOT be able to see the car before it's fixed.
He said it will look like brand new when it's delivered.
It's 100+ miles away just to take photos.
It's at a rail yard where it'll get fixed?
The car is at a "transportation area with 500 other cars" 100+ miles away from the dealership and will take 3-4 weeks to fix (although he is just guessing, has no idea how long it'll actually take).
I call BS. Something just seems shady. He's suggesting that a car damaged in route just stops at some rail yard and waits for someone else to come fix it? Who coordinates that? They are going to fix it anyway (if it's actually damaged) so I'd definitely do as 50 Deep suggests - continue on. I bet it will be there faster than expected and you will not be able to tell it was damaged :)

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I have never seen this where it wasn't fixed at the dealer after arrival. Why fix it so it can be transferred the rest of the way and possibly get more damage.
Sponsored