Sponsored

Why not SVT Cobra? I miss it.

Do you miss the SVT "Cobra" name?

• Yes, I think it would be cool to see it again.

Votes: 53 54.6%
  • I prefer GT350 that is currently "slated".

Votes: 44 45.4%

• Total voters

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think ford using the Shelby name over the SVT Cobra name helps Shelby America and the Dealers more than it helps Ford.

Since Ford makes limited numbers of them I dont see them going unsold very long no matter what name is placed on the cars.

I think having Ford produce factory Shelbys gives Shelby America an advantage over Saleen and other tuners to sell way over priced tuned GTs.

I also think the Name plate adds to the ADM at the dealerships.

But Ford is gonna sell everyone of whatever they csll it as ling as its a good car.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hate SVT as part of a name.

I don't really like Cobra as it's supposed to be Shelby's 2 seater and I don't like the idea that Ford is ripping off Shelby's name. It does have the advantage of being simple and recognizable for non-car people. I agree that Shelby GT350 Mustang is a bit long.

Mach 1 is ok. In my opinion Ford needs to stay away from alphanumeric names like all the dumb Chevy names 1LE, ZL1, ZR1, Z06, etc. I heard in the past that Boss 429 might come back and I do like that name. Boss 302 isn't that exciting to me.

It would be nice to see Ford come up with a new name, but I'm sure that's a challenge to find something good that hasn't been used. If the car is good that's definitely more important than the name.

17SHLB350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If they do ever bring something out of the sort it would be FP Cobra. Not a fan of the long names either. Other monikers like terminator, etc. would be appealing to me. as long as the power correlates.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
The one name that hasn't been used a second time is Boss 429.

I've never cared for the Shelby moniker when he had nothing to do with the car.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I think ford using the Shelby name over the SVT Cobra name helps Shelby America and the Dealers more than it helps Ford.

Since Ford makes limited numbers of them I dont see them going unsold very long no matter what name is placed on the cars.

I think having Ford produce factory Shelbys gives Shelby America an advantage over Saleen and other tuners to sell way over priced tuned GTs.

I also think the Name plate adds to the ADM at the dealerships.

But Ford is gonna sell everyone of whatever they csll it as ling as its a good car.

I agree with this. I think the Shelby name on the car is part of what is driving the ADM.

Personally I think this car was perfect as GT350, and IMO quite the send off for the Shelby naming.

I personally hope the hi-po variant of the Mustang, the rumored GT500 goes back to being called Cobra.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
However, SVT COBRA sounds way better than GT350
:crazy: :thumbdown: :barf:*

(Use of these emojis denotes post made in jest and not a personal attack)

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'm not a big fan of branding in general and don't really care what it is called as long as I like the car.

I always did think SVT was kind of cheesy though. I'm not sure why, but it just never really caught on like other branding for top line vehicles did such as AMG, ///M, Shelby etc.

I think Ford was right just to bring all the divisions under one umbrella and call it Ford Performance. Not the snazziest of names, but it does sound straightforward and more professional.

Unfortunately, when I think of Cobra I tend to think of this ultimate cheesefest.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...8PiflVENcFGY1GJEEJs41wZQ&ust=1495034710077102

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Who could forget this SVT gem.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/ford-contour-svt-page-6 :doh::barf:

That thing was ugly when it came out. Thankfully Ford/FP have come a long way since then.
To each is own, but the Contour SVT was an impressive car in the context of the era. It was, unfortunately, outclassed pretty quickly as mid-size cars started heating up at that point in time (and the WRX showed up in the US for the first time right after). But say what you want about aesthetics, but they were just as subjective then as they are now. A lot of people liked it at the time; I bought a '99 new after graduating from college. It cost 2/3's what the SVT Cobra did at the time, and I was stretching to get that far. Incidentally, I own a '99 SVT Cobra now...

Either way, the "SVT Cobra" name won't come back for the obvious reason that - like SVO before it - the SVT name doesn't exist within Ford anymore. The fact that a lot of people in Ford still refer to the same group over in the Roush building in Allen Park as "SVT" is beside the point. That said, they certainly could still use the Cobra name on a Mustang. Whether they would or not is another matter.

If 1) the new car turns out to be an "evolved" version of the GT350, and b) the GT350 as it stands continues alongside the new car, then there it stands to reason that the GT500 name would be used. If either of those two posits turn out to be invalid, then there's no real motivation to do so and another name is fair game. Of course, another name may be fair game regardless...

Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
SVT

To each is own, but the Contour SVT was an impressive car in the context of the era. It was, unfortunately, outclassed pretty quickly as mid-size cars started heating up at that point in time (and the WRX showed up in the US for the first time right after). But say what you want about aesthetics, but they were just as subjective then as they are now. A lot of people liked it at the time; I bought a '99 new after graduating from college. It cost 2/3's what the SVT Cobra did at the time, and I was stretching to get that far. Incidentally, I own a '99 SVT Cobra now...

Either way, the "SVT Cobra" name won't come back for the obvious reason that - like SVO before it - the SVT name doesn't exist within Ford anymore. The fact that a lot of people in Ford still refer to the same group over in the Roush building in Allen Park as "SVT" is beside the point. That said, they certainly could still use the Cobra name on a Mustang. Whether they would or not is another matter.

If 1) the new car turns out to be an "evolved" version of the GT350, and b) the GT350 as it stands continues alongside the new car, then there it stands to reason that the GT500 name would be used. If either of those two posits turn out to be invalid, then there's no real motivation to do so and another name is fair game. Of course, another name may be fair game regardless...
SVT is gone forever. Hopefully we won’t see FP as part of a Designation either. It’s good Identity for a Division, just doesn’t go well with a Name or Number.

Be thankful that there isn’t some Goofy Moniker out there like T_RD! (Although T-Bird is OK!)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I must agree. SVT just rolled off the tongue and is a nice short acronym.

It also stood for exactly what they do.

"Ford performance" is too generic and sounds lame.

It's the brainchild of marketing personell who've somehow convinced corporate that the old way of adding your company name to everything you do is somehow preventing brand confusion.

Literally no one ever confused SVT with anything other than Ford.

A new designation that distinguishes special vehicles would be great. Something along the lines of SVT.
Sponsored