First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Great points by stangs-R-me.

Other reasons:
- Sunroofs are bad for driving dynamics
- Sunroofs add to cost

The above 2 aren't good for a low cost or value performance car.
Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
I'm a huge sunroof fan...I live in the south so mine is open 99% of the year. The only time I close it is during the rain. No sunroof is almost a deal breaker for me. I can't stand to be in a stuffy car. I guess I can go back to cracking the windows but that doesn't do anything for the claustrophobia of a tight car....

No glass roof
No sunroof

Come on Ford!

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
I really dislike the execution of the glass roof on the mkz, ruins the lines of the car when open because it retracts outside the car. Looks like a really half assed engineering effort. If ford goes this route they need for it to retract INTO the car to maintain the cars profile. Like the 911 targa
image.jpg

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
I hate sunroofs, only like moonroofs... Lol, but seriously the only time I use it is at night.

Sponsored

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Porsche's sunroof is also fairly small. The large glass on the MKZ opens up a fairly wide and tall opening.

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Porsche's sunroof is also fairly small. The large glass on the MKZ opens up a fairly wide and tall opening.
I think from the interior of the car I agree, but it is literally hideous from the outside and in a car like a mustang style is more important.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
Hahaha no, I just find sunroof during the day = glare and potential for sunburn.
At night it's refreshing much like having the window down.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I agree Nate. Living in Florida I rarely open my Sunroof during the day. I don't even like the shade open because of the extra heat that comes through. I usually wait till late afternoon/evening to open it or early morning, and then usually only open it to the vent position. As for having it open inside the car as opposed to outside like the MKZ, I'd rather have it open outside. Sunroofs that open inside the car eat up a fair amount of headroom, and being 6'4" tall every inch counts. If I don't keep my hair cut short enough my head touches the roof in my Accord Coupe because of the Sunroof.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Ehhhhhh ............ Retractable sun roof, nah. Full length fixed, yup. As mentioned, too much lost in head room with one that is motorized.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Thats the thing with having it open outside of the car, you dont lose as much headroom as a normal 'inside the roof' sunroof.
It would be a disaster to try and engineer a panel that big otherwise.

On a side note, after months of being snowed in and barely seeing the sun it's hard to feel bad for people who cant open a sunroof during the day :p

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
After sitting in the C7 at the auto show, I'd love a targa topped Mustang. It would go a great deal toward negating my growing C7 lust.

Bullitt3980

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
My wife has a Mustang Convertible and a Freestyle with sunroof. When spring finally comes there is nothing nicer than being able to get some sunshine after a long winter. Only problem is here in southern Ontario we don't get much spring--One day its cold--two weeks later its hot and humid and you don't want the sunroof open or the top down--you want the A/C on. If the glass roof option was offered I'd get it but sunroofs are out

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I've never been a fan of a sunroof. I have one on my Fusion, but it never gets used. Don't really get the purpose of a hole in the roof.
Agreed. They reduce structural integrity and add weight at a place where you don't want it (high). Both things cut into the driving dynamics. If you want to drive in the sun with too much weight buy a vert.
Sponsored