Sponsored

Why did you get a manual

Runamuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The majority of my previous vehicles were manuals. My 06 GT that I owned for over 7 years was an automatic and the hesitation when punching it drove me nuts. My new 15 GT is a manual and it is very easy to drive. Traffic can be annoying, but that will be the same regardless of tranny.
Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
so i wouldn't curb it.

really i prefer a stick for more control and better mpg, 90% of cars owned sports cars

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
i'd rather drive the car than have the car half drive itself. i also think it's safer because you are paying more attention to the road and the car rather than texting with an automatic
This +1

And the fact that nothing hooks up like gear to gear from a manual. Also saves on braking a big.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Hey Guys

I want to get a GT and can't decide if I should get a manual. I have never driven a manual car but getting a GT without a manual seems be just wrong, just wrong I say. Sad thing is that the wife can drive stick, I guess I could let her teach me, oh the embarrassment.

I'm guessing with 400 pounds of torque it can be that hard to learn.
I've never had an automatic in my life so of course my advice would be to get the manual. You're more involved and connected to the car with the stick. It's fun.

But, I would also agree with you that it would be difficult to learn on a Mustang GT, compared to a 4-cylinder Honda, Toyota, Mini, whatever. There are threads in this forum with users complaining that the 2015 is difficult to drive smoothly, due to the tricky clutch and the horsepower. Not all drivers have trouble - I didn't when I test drove a '15 - but many have admitted to it.

That said, it still will only take a day or two at most to get the hang of it. Smoothness will come in time.

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Like so many others have said, a manual is just more fun.

It's more involving. You are connected to the car. You are much more engaged, because you have to be. You can't just push the gas pedal and go. You actually have to do something. For me, that just makes it so much more fun.

I've owned 104 cars in my life. 101 of them have been sticks.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
Driving the Mustang GT with a nice exhaust and a manual is like playing a very powerful musical instrument. You get a thrill doing it every time you go anywhere! Get the stick and enjoy it for years!!
I could not agree more. I am a bass player, and while we get a lot of crap as the useless part of the band, you get that bass turned up and you can feel every note you play... that is a complete feeling of holding the power in your hands. that is why i got the manual.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I think all cars should be stick. One main reason is it hard to text or talk on the phone.
Anyone who texts while driving is a self-absorbed douche bag, plain and simple. No one, and no text, is THAT important. It's appalling how many people I see doing this daily. Freakin' Neanderthals. I NEVER text while driving, whether it's in an automatic or a manually equipped car.

I still think it's more important for the OP to make a decision based on his comfort level. If he's never driven a stick before, maybe he should let his wife show him how it's done, then he can make an informed decision as to whether it's right for him. Is a stick fun to drive? Most of the time, yes. Sometimes, not so much. But what's more important here? Matching the driver with the right car, or justifying our own decisions? Ideally, he should learn how to drive a stick before he makes a purchase. Buyers remorse is an awful thing!

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I'm sure it's been stated several times by now, but that is the only transmission available with the Performance Package. If they would have offered an Electronically controlled dual clutch manual system with paddle shifters I would have gladly paid for it.

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I'm sure it's been stated several times by now, but that is the only transmission available with the Performance Package.
That's very interesting. Until today, I figured anyone could get the Performance Package (except V6 buyers). For GT buyers, you have to get the manual transmission and it costs $2,495. You can get the Performance Package for the EcoBoost with a manual or automatic transmission for only $1,995. Everything's relative. Those 125 extra ponies under the hood need more wrangling, I guess. ;)

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
A manual is just more fun, gives you total control over the RPM range, an automatic will tend to shift before you approach red line for example.

I've heard stories of some cars not being stolen or car jacked because the perp saw the manual transmission and couldn't drive one, who knows

I wouldn't recommend learning to drive a stick on a a brand new Mustang GT, get a old 90's Toyota of some sort as a learning vehicle
Honestly, the stock clutch is so binary it is probably a good vehicle to learn stick on, power notwithstanding. It feels like an 'anybody can drive it' Saab clutch or something.

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
Highwayman;404011 I hear ya. I've got a lot of cash in parts in mine said:
Yeah, the brotherhood is great. I'm going to buy a beater YJ here soon. I couldn't get mine to stop burning oil no matter what i did so it was time to let it go.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
To answer the OP's question;

Because in the past, I have never had an automatic in a car that could handle my driving style and I got tired of rebuilding them every year.

I'm smooth and competent with a stick and typically get 150k+ miles from a clutch. They last forever if you don't excessively slip them. Drag racers will feel otherwise. Plus I like the solid connection to the wheels.

When a newer automatic with a locking torque converter unlocks at zero throttle to help with coasting and then locks again when you get on the gas, the surging, which is admittedly very minor, drives me nuts.

In truth I realize newer automatics are much better than a decade ago, but I rent cars a lot (69 days last year) and every time the auto is just not to my liking.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
My wife has been complaining ever since I ordered the mustang because I ordered a manual. My wife doesn't know how to drive a manual either. I never showed her on my past cars. I told her that The mustang only comes in a manual. I didn't tell her the reason that it only comes in a manual is due to the performance pack:)

I got the manual because it is more fun to drive.
I have always owned manuals I made the mistake of teaching my wife to drive manuals. I will be under pressure to let her drive my soon to arrive Mustang. I think I will just say "no"

achenator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Prem. GT autotragic
I bought an automatic GT and was happy to. My wife knows how to drive a manual, she actually learned at BMW school in a M3. She does not like it though. My I owned an 08 M3 and she would never drive it, wouldn't even move it around in the driveway. I traded that for a 2010 GT-R that I still have. I turned that into a 1200whp beast and she won't even ride in that one. I bought the mustang as a 4th car, something we could both enjoy. I have no use for the PP, i wanted a soft ride as I use it for a DD one week a month. People (non car people) ask me if the new mustang is fast. I tell them "to you, maybe. to me, not really" I bought this car to DD and cruise.
Sponsored