Why did you choose your S-550

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
This is intended more toward those who purchased new, but if you bought used and found exactly what you wanted please chime in. Did you order it or got lucky and found exactly what you wanted, or just picked one at random off the lot?

In late Jan, early Feb of 2017 I was in the market for a new vehicle and I intended to get an explorer sport to replace my F150, while I was at the dealer test driving a few different vehicles they had a grabber blue coupe with the PP1 and a manual trans, I drove it and fell in love, but I didn't pull the trigger. Instead I went home and thought about for a couple of days. What I really wanted was a convertible so I looked on Ford's inventory search and there it was, a 2017 GT convertible in grabber blue with a manual trans and the performance pack. It was located about 45 miles away, I made them go get it.

But anyway, I wanted grabber blue because I fell in love with that color back in 2010 when they brought it back, I wanted a manual trans because they are more fun to drive and this is my summer toy so a manual is fine. I also wanted a convertible, my mom had a 65 convertible with a 289 and a 4 speed when I was a kid and I always wanted a vert of my own. And finally I wanted the PP mainly because of the big brakes, but also for the factory 3.73 gears and torsen differential.
Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Because it’s a Bullitt.

Ordered and waited 4 months.

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Because it’s a Bullitt.

Ordered and waited 4 months.
If they made a Bullit convertible I would be all over it. But I would still keep my grabber blue one.

If you think about it, you can order a GT convertible with everything the bullitt has and just get it repainted, but your looking at another 20K or so on top of what you paid for the car. And some stuff you would have to add yourself after purchase like the wheels and the stage 3 power pack and the bullitt badge on the trunk lid.

Last edited:

ihateimacs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 68 mustang, Turbo 95 mustang, Turbo Santa Fe
When the s550 first came out I wanted a 6 speed manual ecoboost. I couldnt work out a deal and eventually gave up until I came across a new 2015 that was leftover. I did a big turbo and blew the motor and at the time there werent any great engine options so I put it a low mileage engine in and got rid of it. I went to an explorer sport and when the 18's came out I figured I would try a base model GT with a 10 speed auto. Found one at a dealer that had a bunch of 19's and eventually made a deal. I go through cars pretty frequently so I try my best to get deals so special ordering is out for me.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Cause it's the best looking Mustang since the 66 fastback.

Sponsored

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have been more specific. Why did you choose the color and options you have?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
drove by a ford dealership and saw the R.C and just had to have it.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
To be honest my car died at the side of the road and it took 5 and a half hours to get it towed. I hadn’t thought about cars in years so I drove Mustangs for 18 years at that time and figured I’d take a look. In 2017 Canadian dealers did not bring in the base GT - only the premium GT. As I had never driven a 4 cylinder car until the night before that was a pass. But they still had a V6 and was about as fast as my old fox bodies. The GTs were at the very least an extra 18,000 to almost double the price of the V6. So that was a no go from the start.

So I looked at the V6 and the car seemed sturdy enough. I checked the engine on my phone and it was over engineered just like I wanted my V8. I crawled all over that car in front of me. Then I sat there, butt on the sandy asphalt, and decided to buy it. It took all of ten minutes with the fleet manager and 18 months later is now the most reliable car I have ever owned. I came to this forum and got the itch to upgrade, then the tick and tranny problems decided against that.

Here’s the thing. This morning I was wondering why I can’t part with this car. I was the V8 man that would never drive anything other than a V8 till I died. So what happened? The car simply won me over! Nobody really races me and at almost 60 I should know better and set a better example. I can buy whatever I want now and put a hold on a 128,000 Corvette Z06 back in the spring when I was tested for cancer. That didn’t happen but I could still have bought a base Corvette if I wanted. But getting a Vette would seem like the end of the road to me. Two days ago I saw a GT and this is a rather rare sight up here so I kept an eye on the car as it parked. Out came this thin haggard old man that looked very sickly. I expected a young guy dating age. Anyway, most of the V6 and Ecoboost cars seem to have young men at the helm moving up the ladder in all of life’s endeavours. I actually feel younger in this base car as opposed to a loaded GT or a Vette. I know that sounds crazy and I thought about starting a thread about this in the morning but that is what occurred to me. Old guys with expensive cars but with health problems and settled in life. If you are young and healthy with a base car looking for a wife and trying to move up the ladder at work - well kid you have it all but don’t know it yet.

Plus I like pushing back at the V8 guys. Like pushing back at the younger me. I deserved it too!

So if some of you are curious why I like EVs - it’s because they are quiet. The V6 is quiet but I love music and a luxury Tesla is pure heaven to me. But it’s a sedan! That’s why I get all giddy about a Mustang EV. Superior performance, good looks and deathly quiet. They better have a kill switch for the fake V8 rumble on that car. Playing Stravinsky’s Firebird at one of the quietest moments and hearing fake V8 rumble just won’t due. But I digress...

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My dealer had no problems bring in a Base GT

None on the lot when I needed to buy. I should add I literally had a new car a day after the other one died. That’s just me. Another member here looked at the inventory and could only find one base GT in Winnipeg! They started bringing in the base GTs as regular inventory in 2018. The Ford.ca website even confirmed that the base GT was not a regular dealer car to be stocked up here.

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
To be honest my car died at the side of the road and it took 5 and a half hours to get it towed. I hadn’t thought about cars in years so I drove Mustangs for 18 years at that time and figured I’d take a look. In 2017 Canadians dealers did not bring in the base GT - only the premium GT. As I had never driven a 4 cylinder car until the night before that was a pass. But they still had a V6 and was about as fast as my old fox bodies. The GTs were at the very least an extra 18,000 to almost double the price of the V6. So that was a no go from the start...
These cars—regardless of what they are—feed that place in us that takes pleasure in things.

For the last 20 years, I drove boring cars. I owned 6 different CR-Vs, for crying out loud. Those 2 NSXs I used to own were just memories; one crashed, one lost in divorce. Not since then did I find excuses to drive just to enjoy the drive! With the Bullitt, there’s pleasure in the rumble, in the dropping it into third and flying past a slowpoke, in the thinking about mods that have caught your fancy.

Not everyone gets it. We, here, do. The fun part is not just that one size doesn’t fit all, it’s that one size usually only fits that one size.

HN401A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I fell in love with Guard green the first time I ever saw it on the new S550. It took about 6 or so months to find the one I wanted. The guy who owned it before me ordered it with every option, drove it for a few months then just stored it in his garage. So when I picked it up, it only had 4,500 miles and was bone stock. Still smelled new! Had it over a year now.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Because the interiors are inferior to an E90 BMW’s.

...wait for it...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I ordered mine because I had to choose between sticking with a Gen2 coyote or going with a 2018. The price was too good to pass up. Also, Grabber Blue.

On a side note, Camaro was too expensive and a blindspot machine so that's why I got a Mustang. My first one too.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I ordered mine because I had to choose between sticking with a Gen2 coyote or going with a 2018. The price was too good to pass up. Also, Grabber Blue.

On a side note, Camaro was too expensive and a blindspot machine so that's why I got a Mustang. My first one too.
I haven’t sat in a new gen Camaro, but the Stang has enough blindspots. Can’t imagine it being worse lol.

Great color choice.
Sponsored