Sponsored

Why are there so many tech package GT350's?

dktx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
I've been GT350 shopping and every available car within a day's drive has the tech package and not the track package. Any idea why the dealers are ordering them this way? It's hard for me to understand why the high performance Mustang isn't being ordered with the high performance package.

I know the 2017's will come with the track package standard, so I suppose I'll just wait for the next model year.
Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
when u buy a performance car for 60k u dont want to see a tiny screen that doesnt do anything.. on the other hand pinch zoom larger touch nav screen and leather are more "bang for your buck" philosophy

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
The tech package almost has everything that the track package does but better seats and stereo and nav etc. most people will never know or care about coolers or an aluminum strut tower brace. I love my sync 3 on the way to the track and on the way home, and I can add the coolers once they come out. For me it's fine.

OP
OP

dktx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Thanks for the perspective and it makes sense. Sounds like the dealers know their target audience, which shouldn't surprise me. It's just hard for me to imagine not checking every performance box on such a performance focused car, especially when the track package has some pretty cool upgrades. I'll just hold out until the 2017's show up.

Sponsored

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
Thanks for the perspective and it makes sense. Sounds like the dealers know their target audience, which shouldn't surprise me. It's just hard for me to imagine not checking every performance box on such a performance focused car, especially when the track package has some pretty cool upgrades. I'll just hold out until the 2017's show up.

That was pretty much my thought also. I think performance add-ones before comfort. As long as all the performance is there, adding extra goodies is just gravy. Unfortunately the tech package left too much out in terms of cooling performance. I would have thought most people buying, "the most track capable mustang ever," would want the most race-improving features possible, but apparently not...or at least the dealers didn't think so.

I DID order the electronics package for the 2017 R I ordered, but only because driving anywhere in Texas without air-conditioning in summer...unpleasant. All the rest really just seems like unnecessary fluff.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I opted for the the tech as it has the creature comforts I want in a daily driver along with the suspension that I want from the track pack. It fits my needs, pretty much perfectly. I suspect others feel that way as well and dealers have seen that trend. Pure speculation on my part as I have no statistics to back it up.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
The way Ford packaged this car for 2015 and 2016 is a shame. You shouldn't have had to choose between track reliability and extra creature comforts. Good thing they at least got their act together for the 2017 model.
I agree with this. I was disappointed when I found out I couldn't order it that way.

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
The way Ford packaged this car for 2015 and 2016 is a shame. You shouldn't have had to choose between track reliability and extra creature comforts. Good thing they at least got their act together for the 2017 model.
Agreed, they build a street car with awesome abilities on the track, then limit you to deciding whether you want a great track car that sucks to drive on the street or a comfortable road car that is limited on the track. Option packages are a bullshit way to make the dealer/manufacturer more money. They are doing it right in 2017, I'd rather see the fancy track stuff standard and the comfort stuff optional.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Like most high performance limited edition cars, most will probably never see a track so........

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree they messed up. They tried too hard to make an extremely inexpensive model available.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Tech package car will have a broader consumer base and appeal than the track package. More about the dealer moving units than anything

f e r

Dapper.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fach 1 / Jeep SRT8
I agree. Can't imagine driving a GT350 w/o Recaros.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
People like creature comforts so I'm not surprised. I was in the beginning but it still is a road car in the end and there will be many cars that may never see the track. There's nothing wrong with that, per say, it just is what it is.
Sponsored